Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and am hoping to be able to tap into the vast amount of knowledge here about RAV4s
I inherited a 2006 base model with the oil burning 4 cylinder engine. My question though is relative to another issue.
When my vehicle is in any gear,reverse included, and I have my foot on the brake holding it stationary. There is a shuddering that goes through the whole vehicle,even causing the trim in the cargo area to vibrate. Sometimes when I am sitting at a light the revs on the tach will mildly elevate to 1000rpms, holding it for a short period and then dropping down again to just over approximately 500rpm. When the car is mobile I do not feel the shuddering,only when stopped and the foot on the brake.
This shuddering is annoying without a doubt.Does this sound like a familiar problem? Can anyone please give me some guidance as to what the underlying cause might be?
The dealership in town doesn't seem to be of significant help in assisting me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
what is the mileage? when were the spark plugs and air filter changed? were proper spark plugs used? the throttle body might need cleaning.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sounds like motor or transmission mounts...with the engine off and the rav in park without the ebrake set...get out and pop the hood and push back and forth on the bumper...if you don't have the strength get some help...in the mounts are bad or going bad you should hear them banging as you rock the rav back and forth...often the rubber deteriorates and causes some metal on metal issues...may also have a loose mount...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vehicle has about 79,000 miles (127,000km)..Air filter was changed not long ago. I do not believe the sparks have been changed,the vehicle was not well maintained before I received it....It came with no manuals, recommended maintenance schedule and incomplete maintenance records...I see now in the Haynes manual I just bought that spark replacement is recommended at 60,000 miles or 100,000km. This will be performed ASAP.
I am going out now to try the test for the engine/transmission mounts.
I will report back. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I believe that the spark plugs are not due until about 180,000 km. So I would not change it right away.
First thing I would attempt is to clean is Throttle Body with some cleaner. Too bad that it is in a weird location compared to my other cars. Thanks Toyota!
Also clean the battery terminals and make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Rocked the car back and forth,definitely hear a clunking sound from under the engine area
I thought engine mounts as soon as I read your post. Forget Toyota, why not find a local shop recommended by someone?
By the way, you can input your VIN at toyota.com/owners and find out any service that was done on your RAV at any Toyota dealer(if any).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally had an opportunity to have the vehicle examined and some maintenance work. Changed the oil/filter, tranny, transfer case and rear diff fluid. Cleaned the throttle body,changed sparks. Checked the engine and tranny mounts. Rear tranny mount needs replacing.
No mounts locally,needs to be procured from California. Two hundred and five dollars CDN for the mount and 2 hours for installation when part arrives.
I suspect that should take care of the shuddering after it is replaced. When the work is done I will report back again.
Thank you all who responded for their time and input. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally reporting back.After the last few weeks driving the vehicle,since the tranny mount was replaced,here are my observations.
While it does not shudder as frequently or as intensely, it still does on occasion. What I did notice is, that I have an increased gas mileage (reduced consumption) and the RPM surge is gone,since I did all the maintenance work.My last tank I got a combined 31mpg (Imperial gallon), my best before this was about 26mpg.The vehicle does generally feel good. I think she is thanking me for looking after her :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts