Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Have a problem with my 1999 Rav 4.1. I have just fitted a new Horn and by passed the old horn by tapping in to the Green/White cable which comes from the Loom, but nothing, No Power at all at the Horn.
Where exactly is the Fuse for the horn and does anyone have the Wiring diagram for the Horn because the Haynes manual does not show the wiring for the horn.
Any Help really appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again,
Checked the fuse and it"s OK. Could it be the Relay and if so where do I find that? or what else could it be?
Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Hi again,
Checked the fuse and it"s OK. Could it be the Relay and if so where do I find that?
Since you are in the UK, the relay block will be located above the drivers right knee.

The block will contain 5 relays (well, 5 relay sockets, which may not all have relays plugged in, depending on your options) and several connectors (each containing many wires). The horn relay is the top left relay, which might get confusing since you will be upside down when you are looking at it.

You need to short pin #5 to Pin #3 ( which is what happens when the relay operates) Depending on if the horn works or doesn't work will determine the next step.

The pins are arranged in an inverted "T" configuration and are numbered like this

---3---
---5---
-1---2-

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
Everything seems to be OK except there doesn"t seem to be any power getting through to the wire at the horn end.
Can anyone please confirm that I have got the right wire "Green/White stripe"

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Everything seems to be OK except there doesn"t seem to be any power getting through to the wire at the horn end.
Can anyone please confirm that I have got the right wire "Green/White stripe"
I can confirm that the wire that attaches to the horn is Green/white in color.

However I disagree that everything seems to be OK if the horn is not getting power. Did you try bypassing the horn relay as suggested?

If the original horn was working before you installed the new one, then you may just need a better ground point for the new horn.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
How about reconnecting the original horn to test the fuses & relay?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all,
Thank you all for the useful replies. I have now managed to get the horns working and I am ashamed to say it was just a matter of a bad Earth which I have now rectified.
Thanks again.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Hi all,
Thank you all for the useful replies. I have now managed to get the horns working and I am ashamed to say it was just a matter of a bad Earth which I have now rectified.
Thanks again.
That was the very first thing I thought of when I read your post (bad ground), but I didn't say anything because surely it couldn't be that simple, right? Glad you got it all sorted!

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Guess it takes both power and earth/ground/common/return/negative. :surprise

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Dont forget the $800 Horn pack in the airbag module it got me and will have to stay that way
So, what's this $800 horn pack in the airbag module???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts