Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 97 Rav 4 2dr. The horn is not working. I can't find the fuse for the horn. I checked the fuse box under the steering wheel, no of them are labeled horn. Should I check everyone of them? Or if someone knows where the correct fuse is located please let me know.
I did a search in this forum already and did not find a similar post.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I presume you've checked the owners manual........
I no longer have my '98 RAV, but if you check under the hood there is another large black plastic fuse box in front of the master cylinder (roughly)........
Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
My '97 horn is shot as well and I believe it is the horn. disconnet the electrical connector to the horn and stick a multi meter on it while somebody else is pushing in the horn. That'll tell you if it's the horn itself on along the way to the horn.

·
Registered
685 Posts
BTW.......the horn relay is in the fuse box under the hood.....you probably can hear it "click" with the fuse box cover off, when someone presses the horn button........

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chucks97 said:
My '97 horn is shot as well and I believe it is the horn. disconnet the electrical connector to the horn and stick a multi meter on it while somebody else is pushing in the horn. That'll tell you if it's the horn itself on along the way to the horn.
Not so fast Bluenoser!
When the horn on my car wasn't working (not a RAV, though) it turned out that the contacts were just slighly corroded. Once I cleaned both ends of the connector, the horn worked fine. Does the RAV have a connector that can get this way and be cleaned, or is it a nice sealed up plug? If the connector can be cleaned, at least try that first before you spend money on a new horn! Just thought I'd mention it since you could get a good meter reading from that side of the contacts and still not have a good complete circuit.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help. I'll start working on it when it's not so cold outside.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Jim!

It should have said 'Chucks97.' I somehow saw the wrong name next to the post. Didn't even notice when I quoted.

Todd

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not in my case Boston. I replaced it this weekend with a $12 job from AutoZone. I also connected a jump wire stright from the battery to the contact point on the old horn and she was dead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts