Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been discussed in other threads but I thought it might be useful to those who hasn't done it to have a dedicated thread on replacing the factory horn on the 5th generation RAV4. I just did mine today and took some photos along the way to make it easier for others thinking of doing the same thing.

Parts: It's up to you on what you want to replace the stock horn with, but my main goal was to get rid of the whimpy factory horn and replace it with a loud horn that has no problem grabbing attention. So it seems the consensus is to go with this Hella horn:

HELLA 012010901 Black 12V BX Trumpet Horn Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EG18SFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tools required: Pin clip removal tool, wrench set

Instructions:

1. Remove the 5 pin clips and 2 10mm bolts holding down the (somewhat) flexible cover. You don't need to loosen or remove the hood latch assembly. Just flex and bend the cover enough to remove it completely. Some people said it helps if you do it after driving the car as the engine heat would make the cover more flexible. I didn't do it after a drive, but I still managed to pull the cover off after some effort.

2. Once you have the cover off, for each horn, disconnect the power cable and remove the 1 bolt holding the factory horn and bracket.

3. Using the same bolt, install the Hella horn with its own bracket using the same mounting hole. Face the horn outward and connect the power cable to the power connector (the cable will be stretched slightly but should work). Here's the new horn mounted.

4. Test the horn after installing both to make sure they work and put back the cover and fasteners.

The whole thing took no more than 15 minutes with the hardest part being the removal of the cover.

Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of replacing their horns.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Removing the 2 top bolts from the hood latch, and loosening the bottom bolt allows a lot of play and you don't really need to bend the plastic cowl piece at all.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just swapped mine for a Fiamm El Grande that I bought for our previous generation RAV and never replaced. I think this Gen horn sounded even worse than the last! New one is much better.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know this has been discussed in other threads but I thought it might be useful to those who hasn't done it to have a dedicated thread on replacing the factory horn on the 5th generation RAV4. I just did mine today and took some photos along the way to make it easier for others thinking of doing the same thing.

Parts: It's up to you on what you want to replace the stock horn with, but my main goal was to get rid of the whimpy factory horn and replace it with a loud horn that has no problem grabbing attention. So it seems the consensus is to go with this Hella horn:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EG18SFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instructions:

1. Remove the 5 pin clips and 2 10mm bolts holding down the (somewhat) flexible cover. You don't need to loosen or remove the hood latch assembly. Just flex and bend the cover enough to remove it completely. Some people said it helps if you do it after driving the car as the engine heat would make the cover more flexible. I didn't do it after a drive, but I still managed to pull the cover off after some effort.

View attachment 143431

2. Once you have the cover off, for each horn, disconnect the power cable and remove the 1 bolt holding the factory horn and bracket.

View attachment 143433

3. Using the same bolt, install the Hella horn with its own bracket using the same mounting hole. Face the horn outward and connect the power cable to the power connector (the cable will be stretched slightly but should work). Here's the new horn mounted.

View attachment 143434

4. Test the horn after installing both to make sure they work and put back the cover and fasteners.

The whole thing took no more than 15 minutes with the hardest part being the removal of the cover.

Is your 2019 a hybrid (big orange cable)? It doesn't look anything like my gas-engined RAV Limited? My horn is easily accessible from above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For ease of access on my 2019 hybrid, I remove a third bolt, the one holding the hood release assembly, it was then easy to remove the plastic cover and access the horn. It is then a 10 minutes job. I installed FIAMM with Toyota connector horn, easy. The biggest issue was that reorienting the horn on the horn bracket so that the connector would face down, otherwise the cable are too short to go at an angle, Toyota did not put an extra 1/8th of cable it would have required...

·
Registered
39 Posts

Instructions:

View attachment 143431

View attachment 143433

View attachment 143434

Thanks for the write up, got horns today and will try in next few days and report back.

Ian B

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for this write up rvs007.

Did the install today and had no issues. Only issue was putting plastic cover back on but at the end remember it slides in and under, does not sit on top of bolts/pins. You can bend the crap out of it and it will not crease, scratch or break. Made sure horns pointing down to make sure they dont get any water inside due to rain.

Tested horns before tightening them and they sure are louder than stock. Total time for me 30 mins.

Mods done so far are all led interior lights and horn.

Next, will have my mechanic swap halogen fogs or led fog lights.

Ian B

·
Registered
27 Posts

Instructions:

View attachment 143431

View attachment 143433

View attachment 143434

Thanks for the write-up and photos. Sorry for the new year question, but are all pin clip removal tools created equal? Are some larger than others and, if so, what size to get?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the write-up and photos. Sorry for the new year question, but are all pin clip removal tools created equal? Are some larger than others and, if so, what size to get?

Thanks in advance
If you do opt for a clip removal tool, any tool you'll find on Amazon will work. Typically, if you get the set, it will come with various sizes so it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good variety of horns members here are putting in. I installed mine a week and half ago and it took me an hour and a half to do (chopped the oem connectors, extended the wires, crimped new connectors, made ground wires and did some rust proofing up front while the cover was off). I used 2 terminal PIAA horns and love the sound over stock.

Would be cool to hear sound clips of the different horns ppl are putting in...Hellas, Fiamms, Cadillac, etc...

If you guys have, post them up....not sure if this site allows audio or video files?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are these (the trumpets from the first post) 72 W each? Can’t find this exact model on Hellas site but some similar ones are 72 W each. That would be 12 A total of that’s the case.

Anyone measure dB on these?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah 6 A each it seems from some of the Amazon answers. Anyone blow a fuse yet?
Where I was asking about dB I was curious about the actual dB reading when installed vs the manufacturers’ claims.

Edit— don’t get me wrong, very happy for this thread, not trying to throw shade. Just wondering if I need to wire a relay with these. I’m guessing even at 12 A total it would take a while to blow the fuse.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts