Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 Rav4 AWD automatic that gets HOERRIBLE gas mileage -- 17 city 20 highway. I love everything else about it, but leave it sitting most of the time (drive second car) because it SUCKS gas. Thinking about trading it. Dissappointed in Toyota advertising on window sticker 24/29 mpg. How can I trust Toyota again on what they advertise on the window?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There must be something wrong mechanically with it if the mileage is that poor. I have a 2004 RAV and recently got between 29 and 30 miles per gallon on a highway trip. In all city driving it's around 22 to 23 mpg. The worst mileage I ever had was in below zero temps, all city driving with lots of snow on the ground. It was around 18 mpg then.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definately get it checked out. I get between 21-24 mpg with about 55% city and 45% highway driving. When 100% highway I get about 26-30 depending on what season. I have a 2003 manual.

Things to check yourself though:

1. tire pressure(make sure its not too low)
2. air filter(make sure its white or light gray if using stock and not pitch black or really dark gray)
3. take a quick look at the tires on the front and back, look for one side different than the other(leaning in or out), note: the rear tires are leaning in and its on purpose so dont worry about that.
4. drive with a light foot, if you gradually accelerate rather than blast off hammering the gas, you will save at least 10%.
5. make sure you dont overload it. If you drive with full passengers or load you will get less gas mileage, its only a V4 afterall.

All else fails, take it in and have someone look at it. It should still be under warranty unless you are over mileage.

Just my thoughts

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have taken it into Toyota 3 times. They say that they have hooked it up to their "computer" and can find nothing wrong with it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might try pulling the ECU fuse for about 30 seconds and put it back in. It will reset the ECU and it will have to "re-learn" your diving habits, thus adjusting your fuel economy.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2002 AUTO that gets around 30mpg or 10km/L or 1l/100km
That's all imperial and metric by the way.

Have you checked that none of the brakes are dragging.

Brian

·
Registered
174 Posts
You mean 10L/100km. :) I wish I can get 1L/100km.

I'm getting about that in the 2.4 manual... the same on the highway at 110km/h but I drive it quite easy. Doesn't seem to be any benefits apart from more torque and smoother running with PULP.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scooter0000 said:
I have taken it into Toyota 3 times. They say that they have hooked it up to their "computer" and can find nothing wrong with it.
Try a DIFFERENT DEALER. You will be surprised sometimes.
With two bikes on top and lugguage rack full and 4 people.. I have averaged 25mpg on highway.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SmellyTofu said:
You mean 10L/100km. :) I wish I can get 1L/100km.

I'm getting about that in the 2.4 manual... the same on the highway at 110km/h but I drive it quite easy. Doesn't seem to be any benefits apart from more torque and smoother running with PULP.
Actually, I just did the math last night... I'm averaging about 10.5/100km. However, when I'm on holidays, doing a lot of highway driving, I get around 8.5-9.5L/100 km.

I have a 2004 2.4L Manual.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
scooter0000 said:
i have a 2002 RAV4 AWD automatic that gets HOERRIBLE gas mileage -- 17 city 20 highway. I love everything else about it, but leave it sitting most of the time (drive second car) because it SUCKS gas. Thinking about trading it. Dissappointed in Toyota advertising on window sticker 24/29 mpg. How can I trust Toyota again on what they advertise on the window?
What oil are you using. Mine is a 1997 3SFE engine. I fill her up and it last about 15 days, hammering it. Mine has a bunch of accessories, performance and sound system parts, A/C always on. Their must be something wrong with the sensors, filters, air intake is clogged or even the ECU.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mensajero said:
What oil are you using. Mine is a 1997 3SFE engine.
Good point about oil, I am using 5/30 synthetic (Castrol R) as is recommended on the filler cap. Too high viscosity can make a big difference especially in a cold climate.

Brian

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The gas mileage on some Rav4's are pretty bad. Mine gets about 16.5 city/21 hwy. I've been to two dealers and nothing. One of the dealers happen to be extremely reputable, while the other...well let's just say if I have nothing good to say, then don't say it at all.

4wd
charcoal canister because I'm in the NY tri-state area (this reduces the mpg from what I read, but my car always tests to have 0 carbon monoxide and 1.2 hydrocarbons - nice and clean)
waag bar
roof rack
amsoil 5w-30 synthetic (got this tested and came back great)
used to use a K&N filter, switched back to regular for now

Let's face it, something is not right, but the mpg is not horrible enough for the masses to gather together and sue Toyota for selling a lemon.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Well, you can. Just get a Code Scanner. I got mine at Pep Boys. Just plug it in a socket just to the right of your right knee. Then just put the key switch in accesories, DO NOT TURN ON YOUR ENGINE:!:

Click on the Scan Button. It will read your OBC and tell you what needs to be changed. The Scanner comes with a little booklet with all the codes and its meaning.

It's about $90.00 buckets, but it's your and when the check engine light comes on, you will know why. :wink:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts