Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my Prius days, I swore by the Scangauge to tell me what the car’s vitals were like engine coolant temps, SoC and amps out. Lately I’ve been tracking the traction battery with the sensor in the middle of the traction battery.

My issue for a while has been hot traction battery >45C where it stops any further discharge and keeps the engine on whenever you’re asking it for any motive power.

Worst part is that it was 42C when I parked it in the shade of the afternoon (30C afternoon), and 3 hrs later, it was at 46C. The traction battery fan does not kick in high by itself and I know it can kick in hard and loud.

I can use a BT OBD dongle and use DrPrius to kick the fan on high but the BT dongle does zap power as I don’t drive my RAV4 daily. Plus opening an app every time sucks.

Is there a way in Scangauge to do this as I used to do it for the Prius but the PID doesn’t work on it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, checked regularly. I’m tempted to unfiltered it temporarily to see what happens by itself.

Car is only 9mths old with 5000km and doesn’t get covered up with anything, AC on at the slight chance it’s hot and always blowing from the feet area to ensure cool air flows to the rear footwell.

I just don’t see a way around it other than spending a min at every trip that’s barely warm to connect the BT dongle and just crank the fan speed to high.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
279 Posts
I use a ScanGauge II also. I don't know of any way for it to send instructions to turn on the fan. I would contact the folks at the company directly and ask. I've found them to be pretty responsive via email. If they give you a reply let us know as that would be great info!

I have seen similar issues when the battery gets hot, typically in summer. Best resolution I have found (in my Gen 4) is to kick up the AC to cool off the ambient air since the battery gets its cool air supply from the cabin. It usually resolves the issue within just a couple of minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts