Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2017 Rav4 with the push button start ignition. I also have dealer installed Auto Mate remote starter model # 4214A.

The weather is heating up. My wife and I have always left our car running, with the AC on to keep our dogs cool and comfortable, while we are away from our vehicle. We ALWAYS do this as long as we can keep our vehicle in view. On our Tundra, all we have to do is insert the key into the door lock, turn it, and all four doors are lock, with the engine running and the AC on.

How can we do this with our RAV4? It has a push button ignition. We want to leave it running, with the doors locked, and the AC on. Suggestions. PLEASE. I don't want to experiment for fear of messing up the electronics.

Thanks,

FredSG

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
How can we do this with our RAV4? It has a push button ignition. We want to leave it running, with the doors locked, and the AC on. Suggestions. PLEASE. I don't want to experiment for fear of messing up the electronics.
You do it exactly the same way you did with the Tundra.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You could always remove the mechanical key from the smart key and lock/unlock your vehicle with it.
Sort of a PIA each time. Maybe get another key made. I guess it could be done, although the mechanical key is a bit different than a conventional key.
I can do it with my 2014 RAV with the smart key system. Not sure if it will work on yours since you have added a remote start into the system. Give it a try.

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Maybe get another key made. I guess it could be done, although the mechanical key is a bit different than a conventional key.
The key is the same design that Lexus has been using for years, even before push button start.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

I'm feeling pretty dumb right now . . . guess I need to do more manual reading!! Thanks for your help . . . and information, very much appreciated!!

FredSG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts