Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:seriousMy dashboard seat belt light continuously flashes the seat belt symbol. I sprayed the seat belt receivers with some PB Blaster (WD-40), and that did not resolve it.I also repeatedly clicked, and then un clicked all 4 seat belts.Any D.I.Y. tips will be appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I said "continuously flashes" I probably should have said "blinking".
It blinks about once every 7-9th tenths of a second.Maybe it every second...in that range.

·
Registered
174 Posts
10 years ago my seat belt light flahsed all the time and i opened the plastic covers on the drivers seatbelt and unpluged the sensor

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you please advise me on how to remove the plastic cover?
I am believe we are talking about the part that sticks up and you connect the shoulder strap into?
I have poor vision, it appeared to me that the cover was riveted?
please advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try unplugging the connector at the driver's side. There are philips head screws that hold down the adjoining plastic trim over the threshold. The plastic cover under which the seatbelt switch connector resides can then be lifted away from the door pillar. Should take no more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
731 Posts

Seriously, Techstream will tell you the fault code(s) with the SRS The driver's seat belt switch is but one of many things that can cause the light to flash. A poor connection in the switch is possible, but do you want to do all that work and find out that wasn't it? If you think it is the switch, get a can of compressed air like for computer keyboards. Spray it liberally into the buckle, making sure not to turn the can upside down or you will have liquid coming out of the can. If this doesn't take care of it, then Techstream or a compatible scan tool is required to pull fault codes. Once you have that, come back and I can help more.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
So, FixIt, what's the ice pick for?

·
Registered
731 Posts
So, FixIt, what's the ice pick for?

Place the pointy end right over the airbag light and give it a good whack. THAT will keep the light from flashing. A piece of electrical tape works wonders also.

:laugh

Reactions: JuneBug

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow, so many malicious repairs :lol:

Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, decided that instead of putting the sensor in the seatbelt latch like everyone else, they would put it in the reel and make it so when they wear out (and they sure as hell do), that it would make the light flash all the time!

Yeah the only real repair would be to replace the seatbelt reel with a new one, but that is expensive. Disconnecting the sensor works as well, but that does cause a code to come up in the SRS system (and I'm not 100% sure if that has an affect on the rest of the SRS system off the top of my head, but on some other Toyotas, that does disable other parts of the SRS when there is a code. The 4.1's are old enough that I don't think it's an issue though).

The other option would be to pull the cluster out and just pull the bulb, like I did. While your back there, might as well upgrade to some fancy LED bulbs as well, like I did :thumbs_up:

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Same thing happened on my Odyssey. Read the SRS codes - Driver's seat belt buckle switch. Of course mister engineer took it all apart, including taking most of the seat apart to get the wire out, only to find the switch was indeed intermittent with my test light. Next find a used one on eBay, can't. Finally called the dealer to get a price. He said Honda might fix it under the safety warranty. Since I was taking the van in for the air bag recall anyway he said, "We'll check it then." Unfortunately I'd reset the SRS light and it hadn't come back on yet. He put the fact that it had come on in the repair order and wallah I got both a new airbag and seat belt switch for free, even with 205,000 miles on the van. It's a lifetime warranty. :)

From my 2003 Honda Warranty Booklet
"Seat belts that fail to function properly are covered for the useful life of the vehicle."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts