Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the complaints I have with my 2004 RAV is the mushy brakes (no feedback). Have any of you had a chance to compare the braking feel and performance between the two? Thanks

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Brakes... Wow is what I need to say. No one has brought it up before but the 06 rav has ABSOLUTLY the BEST brakes that I have ever felt in my almost 30 years of driving. Period..
C&D said it stopped within 1 foot of the X3. They were also impressed..

Frank

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rienolf said:
One of the complaints I have with my 2004 RAV is the mushy brakes (no feedback). Have any of you had a chance to compare the braking feel and performance between the two? Thanks
As a comparison since owning a 96, 01 and 06 Rav, I was always satisfied with the brakes. Since the 06 has 4 wheel disks, it makes for a positive braking experience when needed to stop quickly.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Rienolf said:
One of the complaints I have with my 2004 RAV is the mushy brakes (no feedback). Have any of you had a chance to compare the braking feel and performance between the two?
I cannot compare with the 4.2, because I haven't driven one. However, compared with my other cars, feedback is abysmal. I do not know if I would call it "mushy" though. Usually, "mushy" means poor pedal action, which comes from poor hoses and perhaps air in the lines. My 4.3's brakes are nothing of the sort. Their performance is outstanding.

The problem with this arrangement arises when someone used to a strong pedal feedback drives a 4.3 and attempts to slow down at a specific rate, not a maximum rate (which is a much more common situation than emergency braking, don't you agree?). This person will find that it's impossible to "feel" the brake. Instead, he/she has to condition the foot to move a certain distance, not for a certain effort. It's a life of habit to unlearn. I'm not surprised that brakes in 4.3 send testers fuming!

As a workaround for now, I am trying to be more conscious of the actual deceleration, felt mostly in the shoulder belt and neck muscles. I logged about 300 miles at this point, and I am not confident in my driving of the thing at all. Maybe I should take the thing to a track and do a few laps one weekend to get the confidence.

By the way, since the brakes are so good, it's very easy to get rear-ended when pressing the pedal too hard inadvertedly. Just let your heel leave the floor and voila.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree with zaitcev's comments. I kind of like the brakes myself, but am not used to them at all. They are a definite change from previous vehicles, although I have not driven an older RAV.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've driven both a 2004 and a 2006. I definitely like the new brakes over the old ones. They stop the vehicle a lot sooner. :)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had Rav's in the past. Things to remember is that anytime brakes are replaced or adjusted, it changes the way they respond. Also a new Rav should operate as best as it is designed because everything is new. New brakes on an older Rav should be as good as brakes on a new Rav.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new brakes use brake booster to boost the brake pressure. it makes them a lot touchier. once you get used to them, going back to normal brakes will be pretty hard.

it is an large improvement, you just have to get used to it...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was actually going to create a post on brakes today but now I can just comment on this post. I love the brakes on the '06 Rav4! But I've found a trick that lets me love them. Double-tapping. I've found the performance of the brakes to be pretty good, but like others, the feedback wasn't great. To me, they did feel mushy, even though they're stopping well. I've found double-tapping the breaks provides a whole different sensation. What I mean by double-tapping is when I'm coming up to a stop light or something I'll first tap the brakes lightly then release. Then I press the brakes again and this time the pedal is much more firm, not mushy at all. Anyone else notice this effect?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
mine is not mushy the first time.. Not in the least amount.. The reason you feel what you do is becuase as you let off the gas, the engine returns to idle and the vacuum goes way up. This vacuum is what powers the brake booster. Thats why its less mushy second tap. If you let off the gas and wait 3 seconds until the vacuum bulds you will feel same thing first tap

·
Registered
84 Posts
My brake felt mushy when it's brand new. Don't worry. New brake normally takesa thousand km to wear pad and disc perfectly, so they will grab each other more quickly.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me add another positive response here, I too really like the braking on the 06. Feels nice and smooth and not mushy at all, in fact it feels absolutely perfect.

My wife's Accord has really hard and jumpy tight brakes. Barely a touch and the car can jerk a little and it really sharply slows down. Not at all a comfortable feeling.

J.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Picked up my new Rav Saturday morning.

I love the brakes in the new Rav.

They are not mushy or jerky in my view at all and stop the vehicle quickly and efficiently. I do wish there was a bit more feedback from the pedal. They just quickly slow the vehicle down without any argument or protest.

I just came from driving a 1994 Oldsmobile 88 for 8 years so they are certainly worlds better than those.

It will take some getting used to compared to what I just came from driving for so long.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have noticed that the brakes don't squeal (yet...shhhhh)! One thing that drove me crazy on my '96 was that squeal on my brakes!!

I do have a question for those of you that are more auto saavy than I am.

With my new RAV...I will be sitting at a VERY long red light, when all of a sudden the brake pedal seems to drop. Then, when it is time to finally take off, the RAV seems to hesitate. Is this normal for a brand spanking new car? Or is it something I should look into further?

FWIW...I have A LOT of stoplights that I inevitably get stuck at, and about four school zones on my way to work. So, my brakes get a lot of use each day. This "dropping" doesn't seem to happen at all of the redlights, however.

Any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Alot of the newer cars utilize a brake fluid blooster pump to maintain high-pressure in the brake fluid reservoir so the electrohydraulic master cylinder system can maintain high pressure in the brake fluid. The pressure is electronically controlled by valves that release fluid to the calipers based on the driver's application of the brake pedal. The computer considers pedal pressure and application speed when deciding how much pressure to use to stop the car. The computer will also sense your car's speed and decrease fluid pressure when you have come to a complete stop.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The G Man said:
Alot of the newer cars utilize a brake fluid blooster pump to maintain high-pressure in the brake fluid reservoir so the electrohydraulic master cylinder system can maintain high pressure in the brake fluid. The pressure is electronically controlled by valves that release fluid to the calipers based on the driver's application of the brake pedal. The computer considers pedal pressure and application speed when deciding how much pressure to use to stop the car. The computer will also sense your car's speed and decrease fluid pressure when you have come to a complete stop.
So, does this mean it's normal? Thank you!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts