Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a city where I have to parallel park on the street and wanted to see what people are using to protecting their front bumper? The mounting point for the front license plate holder is at the top and the front end is so angled. I usually use a BumpShox license plate frame. But, I feel with the weak top mounting point only and angled front end that a hard enough impact will pull the BumpShox out of my bumper and leave me with more damage.

Any suggestions on how to protect the front bumper from parking damage?

Here is an example of the BumpShox license plate frame I have. I never said it looks good. But, it's more about protection than looks.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Maybe a brush guard mounted to reinforced points on the RAV's underbody . . .?

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I'd think twice about a brush guard to protect the bumper, I'd rather have a scratched bumper cover than bent body parts caused by the brush guard, google brush guard damage multiplier.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd think twice about a brush guard to protect the bumper, I'd rather have a scratched bumper cover than bent body parts caused by the brush guard, google brush guard damage multiplier.
We had one a grill guard on our Nissan Murano in the past. It adds quite a bit of weight on the front end. While it did help with parking and protecting the front bumper. It caused more damage when we were in an accident. I wouldn't do it again. Plus I don't like the look of them on the RAV4.

I might just have to live with no protection on the front end.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I live in a city where I have to parallel park on the street and wanted to see what people are using to protecting their front bumper? The mounting point for the front license plate holder is at the top and the front end is so angled. I usually use a BumpShox license plate frame. But, I feel with the weak top mounting point only and angled front end that a hard enough impact will pull the BumpShox out of my bumper and leave me with more damage.

Any suggestions on how to protect the front bumper from parking damage?

Here is an example of the BumpShox license plate frame I have. I never said it looks good. But, it's more about protection than looks.

^ That's what I'm using for the Big City and it's parking woes. :wink

·
Registered
8,581 Posts

Agreed - a brush guard could result in significant damage, which is why I suggested that any such one be mounted on a reinforced (not stock) part of the underbody. The OP is concerned with people backing into the vehicle in parallel street parking situations, which normally involve relatively low impacts. It could be that the bumper licence frame box is the best solution, even if imperfect.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Moot point since the OP already stated he would not want one, but even reinforced below doesn't help much when the impact is at bumper level, there's just too much leverage without having a reinforced attachment point at bumper level which doesn't exist on a Rav4, I've seen frame mounted brush guards bumped at parking speed slap the hood and grill leaving much more damage than just a bumper bounce.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
A bull bar may be of use if it's as low as I think it would be, impact would push it into the bumper instead of other soft parts, gota figure there's some force involved when 3000-4000lbs of car is stopped by it. I looked at the Go Rhino for the 2015, the instructions only show it on a 4.3, but looks like it might do the trick if the OP is open to it, they have less offerings for the 2016.

2015 Toyota RAV4 Grill Guards & Bull Bars - CARiD.com

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/111281-will-2006-2012-bull-bar-fit-2013-rav4.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/189081-bumper-protector-guard-plastic-vanguard.html

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1455908890.233771.jpg

Here's a 'bull bar' on the nose of a '15 XLE in my neighborhood. I'd imagine it would look similar on a '16 RAV4.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts