Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a 4x8 sheet of pegboard (not very heavy) and I'm trying to figure out how to carry it on the roof rack. Can the antenna be removed or lowered? Or should I just position the sheet in front of the antenna; not sure if this is wise.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wr4,
I have done this on smaller cars than the Rav I have now. The issue is that your rails and cross bars are less than 4 feet wide. The solution I would recommend is to strap two boards (2x4, 2x6 or whatever) to your cross rails securely, running front to back and as wide apart as possible. Then go to get your 4x8 sheet bringing along a screw gun and a few screws to attach it to the boards that are already mounted.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Either inside with the hatch open, or if you're getting it from Home Depot, have them cut it in half, I've done both.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
wr4,
I have done this on smaller cars than the Rav I have now. The issue is that your rails and cross bars are less than 4 feet wide. The solution I would recommend is to strap two boards (2x4, 2x6 or whatever) to your cross rails securely, running front to back and as wide apart as possible. Then go to get your 4x8 sheet bringing along a screw gun and a few screws to attach it to the boards that are already mounted.

^What he said! I've done this with several different Toyotas - keep the 2x4's or 2x6's for the next time you need to carry anything large on your RAV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the replies.

I must admit, I hadn't even thought about the rails not being close enough for the 4' span; glad I asked. I tested the antenna today and it does un-thread easily.

I had thought of getting HD or Lowes to cut the piece in half (which I did at a prior house), but I don't want two 4x4 sections.

I now know what to do.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts