Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Rav4 with a 5-speed manual transmission. How can I tell if my Rav4 has a limited slip differential?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
By definition if it has a centre differential lock it's AWD, but we're talking about the rear diff. I don't know about Australia but here in Canada you could get a 5-speed RAV4 with rear limited-slip diff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't for 2000 models, but for 1997, in Canada, the rear LSD came only in a package with Mag wheels, 235/60R16 tires, flare fender and ABS, no matter if the transmission was automatic or manual.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't there a way to tell for sure short of taking the diff apart?

What if you jack both back tires of the ground. If a differential is a 'closed diff' type, turning one back tire should make the other back tire turn counter to it.

If the differential is open then the wheel won't turned backwards from the other.

·
Registered
682 Posts
wish they had the same spec all over the world. anyways, i know my rav has a rear lsd as i emailed toyota my vin and they confirmed it for me.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who did you send the E-mail too, sounds like a good way of finding out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mohit's a prime example of someone doing it right. Understandibly there's always questions with mods, how to do this how to do that...what are the benefits of this blah blah. But when the question can be answer yes or no by a simple phone call, go for it. It makes so much sense than posting up here on the forum where you're asking people that don't really know. And even if they're hunch is stronger than yours, you will still want confirmation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts