Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

For those of you who added aftermarket foglights to your base RAV4 or RAV4S, can you please explain how/where you mounted the lights?

Did you use factory brackets and mount them in the stock location, or fabricate your own brackets?

I'm asking about aftermarket due to Parkway's issues with the factory foglight parts, see:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1487&highlight=factory+foglights&sid=525f5ab4b029020b4bcc315bf1d9eb67

Anyway, I pulled the fake "brake-cooling duct" cap out of the area where the factory foglights would go in a 2005 RAV4S, and I don't see any easy way any light other than the factory version would fit into that odd-shaped location.

I looked at maybe rectangular lights, but I'd worry about drilling into some airbag sensor in the bumper bar behind the plastic bumper skin.

So, can those who added aftermarket lights - can you please share your ideas?

TIA!
Steve in PGH

·
Registered
31 Posts
I mounted Hella FF75 's on the lowest part of the bumper. You can fairly easily pop off the underneath part and wiggle your hand up in there to secure the nut and bolt. There's no sensors in that location (don't know where they are).
As long as the snow's less than 9.5 inches deep, I'm all set, they'll clear it.

Jim.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Jim!

Did you have to drill anything to attache the FF75's? Cut any of the plastic bumper away? If not, did Hella include the needed bracket/clamps to actually grab on to something behind the plastic skin?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Steve,
I simply drilled 1 hole for each light thru the plastic bumper on the lower side. It's your option of how low on the bumper you want to drill the hole. But the lower you do it, the closer to the ground the light will be. In Massachusetts we've gotta worry about winter driving and how deep the snow will be. Don't want to use the lights as mini-plows! I had planned to mount them higher, but didn't measure correctly and when I got them I found they wouldn't squeeze in where I wanted them. Oh, well, the greater the angle from your eyes, the better you can see in the fog.
By the way, here's where I got them... http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/noname4.html
Good luck,
Jim.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought a pair of those angel eye ones off ebay. Then I realized that like most aftermarket fog lights, they won't fit the hole properly. The reason is that the cutout is on an angle and aftermarket foglights are flat. If you install them in this hole they'll look like shit because there are mounting holes for the oem fog lights that won't be covered up.

If you want to use the fog light cutout, get oem fog lights. period

1 - 5 of 5 Posts