Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I change out interior map light bulbs on 2016+?

I've searched the forums here and on the Google in general and was not able to find any instructions how to do it. I'm assuming 2016 and 2017 overhead consoles are the same, with the map light lens that is pushed to turn it on.

So how do I get to the incandescent bulbs to replace them with LEDs? :confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
To remove the cover lens, just pry one of the sides, you can use a very small flat screw driver. To replace the tiny tricky small bulbs you have to pull them out, never twist them of the socket will get loose and you don't want that to happen (already happened to me had to remove the whole dome), also broke one of the bulbs they are so tinny and tight that they are kind of hard to remove.

I use this for the map lights.
10x T10 20-SMD LED 6000k White Super Bright Interior Light Bulb 194 168 2825 W5W | eBay

This for the back dome.
6X Super White 28mm festoon Bulbs 3528 Dome Map Cargo Light | eBay

Cargo area, and vanity lights
50 x T10 LED Wedge 5-SMD 6000k White 5050 Light bulbs 2825 158 192 168 194 6k w5 | eBay

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is the cargo light much brighter than OEM? That thing's pretty useless.

it is but still not enough to cover all the cargo area IMO it has very poor illumination it should come with a dome light or a second light instead of just one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(already happened to me had to remove the whole dome)
Do you remember if the bulb is oriented vertical or horizontal in the housing?

I changed the map light bulbs in a 2013 and they were oriented vertical. The LED bulb was too long for the lens to snap back, so I had to file down the LWD bulb maybe 1/16".

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are vertical, the ones I posted fit perfect.
Those do look shorter than the ones I bought. Those say 30mm overall length, the ones below are 36mm overall length.

10PCS W5W 168 194 LED Bulbs 6W T10 No Error COB 6500K Super Bright Car Canbus

They say 6w, but realistically they are probably around 3w and 300 lumens output.

The ones you linked to have 20x of the 3528 SMD chips, which are roughly 7 lumens per chip. So best case scenario they are 140 lumens total when driven at 100%.

I guess I'll pop the cover and see if the ones I have can fit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
it is but still not enough to cover all the cargo area IMO it has very poor illumination it should come with a dome light or a second light instead of just one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm thinking of adding LED strips on roof or sides. OEM light is useless.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To remove the cover lens, just pry one of the sides, you can use a very small flat screw driver.
I've tried using a plastic trim remover tool, and could not get it out using reasonable amounts of force. Didn't wan to force it without knowing what I'm doing it.

Which side should be pried? I tried where the hinge is. Seems like there is a tab on the side that is pushed to turn it on.

Does anyone have a picture of the back of the lens cover once removed? :confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've tried using a plastic trim remover tool, and could not get it out using reasonable amounts of force. Didn't wan to force it without knowing what I'm doing it.

Which side should be pried? I tried where the hinge is. Seems like there is a tab on the side that is pushed to turn it on.

Does anyone have a picture of the back of the lens cover once removed? :confused:
No force needed, it pops out very easily. give me few working on a video..

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Nice! Why didn't I think of that? I've got a roll of that aluminum tape!

·
Registered
450 Posts
While replacing the bulb I decided to add some reflective material to the bulb housing. Just some aluminum duct tape. That made it noticeably brighter than without the reflector.
Great idea. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts