Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This might be quite a simple question...my wife's 2002 Rav4 with 2.0L I4 is throwing some codes that I've checked at home. It says the cat is bad. I don't have the codes with me but they were rear codes.

My question is, is there a possibility that both O2 sensors are bad, or is it likely the cat? How would I know that it's not bad O2 sensors giving me trouble? It's both O2 sensors that are throwing codes.

Thank you!

Also, wondering where I might find the cheapest replacement cat if I have to go that route...is $300 standard? That's what I'm seeing online.

Thank you for any advice or tips you can give.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
You can find out how to check the cat by the various youtube videos. You can check the O2 with a voltmeter. Rockauto is a great place to buy O2 and a cat. Also try Ebay & Amazon when comparing prices once you have the part number.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DL, I'm checking youtube and there are a lot of stuff so I'll be checking it out.

I put my scanner in, and I do have P0420 and P0430. The car also smells like it's running very rich. Not sure if that's a hint, but I'm going to keep looking.

Maybe I should upgrade my app to premium so I can watch what the mixture says.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the same with mine awhile back. It would usually throw the P0420 which I would reset with my OBDII scanner. I asked Toyota and they said it was the cat going bad, not the O2 sensors. The rep also said to take it on the autobahn and run it at about 140-150kmh for 15 minutes or so. This stopped the code from coming back for about a year, but after that it came on constantly. I then started to get the P0430 code as well. I got tired of resetting them every week or so and finally had a new cat put in. Cost me around $690.00 at Toyota. Probably could have gotten it cheaper somewhere, but did not want to mess around with it. At least I have been code free for over a year now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Tenmaru
I have a 4.1 and I had the same strong petrol smell for the exhaust when I had a faulty 02 sensor, most notable was the fuel consumption was brutal, on the 4.2 I count 3 here on my uk model but As DL175 said to check yours with a voltmeter before spending money on a cat. my money would be on a faulty 02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts