Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I bought my RAV4, I had the front bumper, front of the hood, and back of the mirrors treated with Autobahn clear plastic (made by 3M). I then used Zaino ZFX, Z2, & Z6 to protect the car and clear bra finish.

In my part of the country the trees are coming into full bloom and that means the yearly ritual of remove tree sap from the car.
On the paint and windows Stoner's Tarminator does a great job removing the sap.
However, the sap is stuck on the clear bra like super glue. Warm water alone doesn't remove it.

I tried testing a small area of the clear bra with Tarminator and all it did was smear the plastic. :cry:

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove tree sap from a 3M clear bra?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: How do I remove tree sap from 3M clear bar?

I use one of those "bug" sponges you can buy at Wal-Mart. It takes the sap right off and as long as you don't get too violent, it doesn't hurt the bra. Be careful using it on the paint itself though.

You can also use a good paste wax and that will remove it and not harm the film.

Good Luck!

James

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If WD-40 doesn't remove it, try Gunk Bug & Tar remover spray. Spray on, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe with a soft cloth.

OC

Y

·
0 Posts
These solutions are all just various ways to apply a solvent of some sort. Since WD40 isn't really meant to remove bugs off paint, the solvent in there may be harmful to paint (or the 3M film as your experience with Tarminator shows). That's just a guess so YMMV.

3M may have information available that tells you what kind of solvent you an use on thier film... I'd check that out first before proceeding with random solvent application.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I started this thread this morning, I had no idea how difficult getting this answer would be...

Spoke with the dealership where I had the clear paint protector installed. They said any commercial Bug and tar remover should work.
Told them I've been there, done that and the clear bra looked like crap afterward (streaks and smearing with a dull finish).

Went to 3M's web site. There was nothing there regarding maintenance tips for the 3M Paint protector.
Called 3M. The woman who I spoke to said that they don't have a technical support dept, they don't deal with end users and to call the company that installed the clear bra.

Called the dealership back and asked them to put me in touch with company they sub-contracted the clear bra installation to.
Called the company, no one there had the answer, I was told that they would have to research the issue and get back to me.

Called 3M back and pleaded with them to put me in touch with an engineer. I told them I didn't want to know any trade secrets, just how to clean the clear paint protector. They manufacture the stuff, so they should know how to clean it. :(

10 minutes ago, I got a call back from 3M.
They claim that the material is nearly indestructible and I can use just about anything to clean it. However their recommendations are:
1. Vinegar and water.
2. Alcohol and water.
3. Dawn dish detergent and water.

If this doesn't fix it, I may be taking them up on their five year warranty.

Y

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
wd40 will not hurt paint. Its kerosene based
I believe that kerosene can be used as a paint thinner/brush cleaner for oil based paints. If left on a car, I'm guessing it could damage the paint. Maybe if the paint was cured it would be fine...

It's your car, you make the call.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
kerosene will never hurt paint .. It used all the time at every car dealer that I worked at as a young man. Used to remove tar from undercoating and road tar from transportation.
Every dealer had a 55 gallon drum and used it on every car that came in for detailing..

YummyPork said:
flyingn said:
I believe that kerosene can be used as a paint thinner/brush cleaner for oil based paints. If left on a car, I'm guessing it could damage the paint. Maybe if the paint was cured it would be fine...

Y

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
keresene will never hurt paint .. It used all the time at every car dealer theat I worked at as a young man. Used to remove tar from undercoating and road tar from transportation.
Every dealer had a 55 gallon drum and used it on every car that came in for detailing..

YummyPork said:
flyingn said:

Ok...you win :roll:

Y

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
its not a contest. Im trying to teach you something. A trick that dealers use. Im not talking you down. relax..
Thanks but your posting style doesn't convey that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks but your posting style doesn't convey that.
Hmmm. Well however it sounds he's right. I've used Kerosene in the past on a few of my vehicles and it really cleaned off allot of things from the paint. The main drawback is the smell. It wears off but it takes awhile...

No Kerosene for my new Rav though. These days I stick with soap and water. :wink:

Toothpaste and kerosene, your car's best friends

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used WD40 to remove tar dots from my Integra after every summer in Alaska (they were constanlty repaving roads from studded tires) and it worked like a champ. One panel at a time and wash it off right after applying...never had a problem with the paint in the 6 years I owned that car.

My dead uncle swore by kerosene for cleaning paint, and that was from way back in the day.

Y

·
0 Posts
I was thinking of a different dead uncle when I counseled caution. He cleaned lots of stuff with kerosene... (probably because he had a 55 gallon drum of the stuff out behind his shed).. including oil paint off paint brushes.
If he could do that then... ***insert your own conclusions here***

Before anyone feels the need to correct me, I'm sure it works just fine on taking sticky stuff off of cured paint (as I alluded to earlier as well).

Meanwhile, back in Minnesota at 3M, they reccommended:

1. Vinegar and water.
2. Alcohol and water.
3. Dawn dish detergent and water
All fairly mild. Did they work?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts