Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't do the rotors right now but a guy at work says I can do the pads this time around. He mentioned opening the master cylinder and using a C clamp. I watched two diy videos but neither showed that part.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
The C-clamp is used to push the caliper pistons in to make room for the new thicker pads. I usually leave one of the old pads in and use my large channel-lock pliers. The old pad protects the pistons from getting gouged and allows pushing equally on both pistons (if there are two). The reason for removing the cap is to monitor fluid level. I assume that's what he means by "opening the master cylinder."

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
This YouTube video shows the C-Clamp procedure at the 4:03 minute mark.
https://youtu.be/jvROQDsabTw?t=4m3s
Starting from the beginning of her video the only things I'd do different is loosen the lug nuts before jacking up the car and turn the steering wheel so the caliper is easier to access. Also "tighten the caliper bolts as tight as you can" only applies to a 100# woman like her!

·
Registered
77 Posts
C-Clamps can do this on the cheap and that's nothing to complain about. They fail miserably when you have calipers with multiple pistons. I wanted to have one tool that can handle variety of calipers and situations. I run Stoptech brakes all around on my BMW and I find this Lisle 29100 amazing for resetting pistons:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29100-Quick-Quad-Spreader/dp/B005GLQCKA

It can be used for regular single piston floating calipers just as well. One tool to rule them all :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is being completely overthought. With everything in place take a good sized flat head screwdriver and place it between the rotor and pad backing plate. Use the screwdriver to wedge between the backing plate and rotor. Doing this will open a small gap between the pad material and the rotor. Once a small gap opens place the screwdriver in that gap. Then simply pry the pad away from the rotor, this evenly pushes the caliper piston in. This method works with single or multi piston calipers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And for the back wheels? They don't turn as far as I know. This will be my first time trying this.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
And for the back wheels? They don't turn as far as I know. This will be my first time trying this.
It is indeed very difficult to turn the back wheels. So start with them and the front ones will seem easy. But typically the rear pads wear much slower than the front and thus need to be changed maybe half as often.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The procedure for changing the rear brake pads is pretty much identical to the front pads.

The rear brake rotors also contain brake "shoes" inside the "drum" portion of the rotor, which only come into play when you apply the parking brake. If you never drive with your parking brake on, these "shoes" should last the life of your RAV.

One thing that I have noticed about the rear brake pads, and it was confirmed by other members, is that the "ears" on the pads fit very tightly into the corresponding mounting points on the caliper. I chose to grind a little metal from the "ears" so that the pads could move more easily without sticking.

I actually noticed this problem with genuine Toyota pads, so I don't know if the tightness is by design, but I feel that if you need a hammer and screwdriver to remove the pads, then they are too tight.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the video above it looks like they just pop out. I work till 9:30 but it's warm today and I have everything I need in my garage so I'll probably do this tonight.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I drive it sounds like a train braking and the sound seems to be coming more from the rear. My biggest worry is not being able to get the pads off and the new ones on. All the videos look pretty easy so I hope it is. So far with this car I've done the air filter, cabin filter, headlights (using 4000LM led bulbs), oil changes except when it's too cold, transmission flush, coolant flush, front transfer case, i did an o2 sensor, I tried the rear diff but I couldn't reach it even jacked up so I let Valvoline do that. After I master the brakes the only two real projects will be spark plugs-and the three in the back look like a nightmare, and possibly a cai.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts