Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When referring to your Rav4, do you say that you have four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive?

Fully aware it says 4WD on the back, but is it technically four-wheel drive or all-wheel? I've seen so many variations over the years on here as to how people describe it, just wondering :)

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
IMO, My RAV4 is 4WD meaning FWD most of the time with RWD engaging automatically as needed.

My F-250s are 4X4, that is "traditional" RWD most of the time with FWD selected as needed by the driver. Includes a Low Range option.

AWD refers to all wheels being powered all the time even on dry roads.

Because many customers think AWD is the best (I don't) Toyota (to compete with Subaru?) has changed to that nomenclature even tho many model are still part time 4WD.

Example: A couple years ago a friend of mine who has a long driveway that I used to have to plow wanted a Toyota RAV4 but bought a Subaru because the dealer told him the RAV4 was "only part time AWD." Now he's stuck with a lousy CVT. His other car is a stick shift Porsche.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Because many customers think AWD is the best (I don't) Toyota (to compete with Subaru?) has changed to that nomenclature even tho many model are still part time 4WD.
I suspect it was as much to compete with the Honda CR-V as well. I believe the CR-V's that could send power to all 4 wheels also used to have a "4WD" badge on the back, as did the RAV4's which could send power to all 4 wheels through the 4.3 generation.

At some point (during the 4.3 RAV4 run?) Honda switched the badge on the CR-V to "AWD."

When Toyota effectively cloned the CR-V for the 4.4 generation, they switched to the "AWD" badge on the RAV4, just like Honda did.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I get stuck on my own icy driveway on Rav4 with Nokian winter tires. Never happened with 03 CRV.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
4x4 vs 4WD vs AWD examples:

a) My 2000 4Runner SR5 is built on a truck frame / and with 4HI-4LO Transfer case
= True 4x4 &/or part-time 4WD
b) Wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited v6...still has a transfer case
= maybe not AWD but closer to 4x4, while not in the original sense of the term / sited in a)
= 4WD
c) Honda CRV hasn't got a transfer case = AWD
d) Gen4 RAV4 may have AWD badging now / so I assume, the Gen3 Transfer case is missing (??)
e) Sons 2015 Lexus RX350 has AWD badging...must be like the newer RAV4's, only with a v6

I still describe my 4Runner as 4x4 (no badge) / Wife's RAV4 as 4WD / and sons Lexus as AWD.
- they all have proven very capable, driving on winter roads / during heavy snow falls

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I get stuck on my own icy driveway on Rav4 with Nokian winter tires. Never happened with 03 CRV.
You do know you need to disengage the TRAC and VSC function if stuck, right? (Push and hold the TRAC off button for 5 seconds.)

I have Nokians and absolutely slayed the snow this winter with the RAV--including multiple ski hill trips when others would stay home. Also, our Idaho winter this year actually surpassed AK for most of the season, too, so it was put it through the paces. Never stuck. The Nokians were new, however, which made for amazing grip.

Back on topic, I see the 4WD and AWD used interchangeably on the RAVs badging, owners manual, and car registration. All I know is more wheels provide power when the computer decides than a 2WD, lol.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You do know you need to disengage the TRAC and VSC function if stuck, right? (Push and hold the TRAC off button for 5 seconds.).............
^^ Interesting RAVN4RED.

We still don't know what all the fancy buttons are for / but if we know we will need 4WD.
- we will press the 4x4 button on the dash / and leave other buttons alone, by the cup holders

Only used the 4x4 button, few times, getting out of an uphill driveway & onto a un-plowed HWY.
- don't know if this method, is right or wrong (??), but seems to work on wife's RAV4

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
^^ Interesting RAVN4RED.

We still don't know what all the fancy buttons are for / but if we know we will need 4WD.
- we will press the 4x4 button on the dash / and leave other buttons alone, by the cup holders

Only used the 4x4 button, few times, getting out of an uphill driveway & onto a un-plowed HWY.
- don't know if this method, is right or wrong (??), but seems to work on wife's RAV4
Yeah, most times the LOCK button will do it. It's good for trundling along through the heavy snow on unplowed subdivision roads, and kicks off at 25mph then the usual AWD takes over. But if stuck, or losing power trying to go up an icy driveway, push and hold the TRAC button and it temporarily disengages the safety nannies that cut power to the engine when they sense wheel(s) slipping. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
On CRV and Foresters I never had to press any buttons and never fails.
Yes, it is one button to push, and it also has never failed me. It's kind of poorly named, too, making it confusing to most RAV owners. You actually turn the TRAC OFF to get the maximum traction when stuck. Go figure.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah, most times the LOCK button will do it. It's good for trundling along through the heavy snow on unplowed subdivision roads, and kicks off at 25mph then the usual AWD takes over. But if stuck, or losing power trying to go up an icy driveway, push and hold the TRAC button and it temporarily disengages the safety nannies that cut power to the engine when they sense wheel(s) slipping. Works like a champ.
Great advice, Thks. / next winter we'll test out the TRAC function, on wife's RAV4.
- she commutes to city on weekdays and has braved some rather insane winter road conditions
- so every bit of traction helps

2 decades ago, I bought my first 4x4 truck, a 1990 Chev. with 17,000 Km.
I loved the 2 & 4 wheel floor shifter & an icon on the dash bezel lights up...just like my 4Runner.
So after a few days of ownership, I tried to get it stuck.
- it plowed through 2 foot snow banks, with ease

A few weeks later, drove up North to show my brother / so we head to an un-plowed parking lot.
- with about 20 mph ground speed / I hit the wall of snow, leaving tracks a foot deep
- started doing doughnuts for fun, in the white stuff & powering foreward
(just hoping I won't need to call a tow truck, that could get expensive)
- my twin brother can't believe the drifts, we are navigating, with ease
- after 5-10 minutes of having a blast and never close to getting stuck / we head to his place
Bro still remembers the Joy ride, in the parking lot of our old High School...hehe
- testing out a 4x4, for the first few times / and learning limitations & capabilities

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah, it's fun to test the limits of whatever 4WD system. My buddy back in '76 had a new Chevy Blazer and we decided to blast through a deep snow bank. It turned out to be fairly solid snow and we high-centered. We made it about two car lengths into the bank and spent a couple hours digging out. Learned we couldn't do the impossible.

Having to learn and push a couple of buttons on the RAV beats having to get out and lock hubs or whatever, but that's for the old school real 4WD like my old F-100. I tell wife it's educational to go to the fairgrounds parking lot and do donuts with the RAV with the TRAC off. It's no off-roader, but it handles snow and ice on the road pretty darn well. I feel with dedicated snow tires, the RAV is plenty safe for her, and she faces a lot of gnarly commutes also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts