Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new RAV4 owner and was wondering how you make a MP3/WMA CD for the player. I have all of my library in Windows Media Player 10 but in reading the manual it doesn't sound like you can just make a data disk. It sounds like it has to be ISO 9660 format. Anyone have recommendations. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

The easiest way to create a WMA and MP3 disk for playing in you RAV4 is using the burn function embeded in the Windows Media Player. Is just a drag and drop, put the blank media in the CD tray, select the titles (make sure you don't exceed the media limit, 700 MB or 80min), wait it be burned and voilá !!. Now, you can enjoy your favorite music when hanging around in your RAV4.

In fact, burning a MP3 or WMA CD music is the same process to create a data disk. Also you can use the Windows explorer to create a disk in the same way you copy files to a floppy disk or folder. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I wasn't sure that would work .

When I selected Data CD in Windows Media Player I got a warning that said most players would not recognize the format. The manual also said something about the player not playing back discs recorded using packet write data trasfer (UDF format).

Nice to hear there is a simple solution. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone tried a cd-rw yet. I plan to this weekend but havn'e got to it yet. I know i've got nothing to lose if it dosn't work but don't want to put the effort into ordering the songs if it dosn't play.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
There's all kinds of software you can use to burn CD's - CD-R's and CD-RW's, and all the DVD formats too if your PC has a DVD burner. Beside the Windows Media Player already mentioned there's a bunch -Roxio, Nero, Sonic just to name a few.

OC

·
Registered
420 Posts
ISO-9660 is the common CD format, produced by every kind of burning software. Usually, it is created with extensions, such as "Rock Ridge" (common) and "Jouliet" (Microsoft).

I burned by CD's on Linux with mkisofs -r -o x.iso x/ and cdrecord x.iso. The player shows ID3 tags and long filenames just fine (though the front panel in RAV4 is not very big, so longer titles are truncated). Absolutely no compatibility problems.

I noticed that RAV4's sound system will not play loudly enough unless the track is resampled to be close to the maximum. This is a problem especially when ripping soundtracks from DVDs. I use a package calld Audacity to perform resampling and other editing. I know that iTunes has the normalization option, which accomplishes the same task.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I attempted to burn my first MP3 / WMA CD. Used Windows Media Player 10 and selected Data CD and it worked great.

Put 20 of my favorite songs on the CD . All of the titles carried over. Next time I might try using Windows Explorer and placing the files in folders.

Thanks for everyones help.

C

·
0 Posts
I've burned a mp3 cd using iTunes on my Mac and it plays fine. I was able to put 135 tracks on it which is pretty cool. iTunes will burn the files in the root directory or in folders by artist or album.

The only issue I'm having is the lousy random function in the cd player. I've had it repeat tracks by the tenth song. It doesn't seem to matter where on the cd you start it ends up playing the same set of songs by the six or seventh track. Has anyone else seen this? I wonder if the number of tracks is a factor.

R

·
0 Posts
I have burned MANY music CDs from my playlists (terrible to say...I no longer take my MP3 player along...now I just burn MP3 CDs)...I absolutely LOVE this feature!

Now my new thing is burning audio books! An entire book on one CD! LOVE IT!

R

·
0 Posts
BarnyFife said:
Don't forget that you can create seperate folders on the CD and then navagate through them with the folder button.
Yes...this is what I do! Makes it nice and easy when you are deciding what to listen to! :)

G

·
0 Posts
yep, make sure you either normalize them songs all, or use some soft such as mp3gain to make them all to the same dB level... it's such a turn off listenning to songs with different sound level one after one...

J

·
0 Posts
Aww, I was hoping the stock stereo could read mp3's from a data DVD... sounds like it only reads data CD's though. Oh well.

K

·
0 Posts
I have burnt CD's in the unit now. I can't move from folder to folder. I have one disk that has two folders. The unit will only play the first folder. I push the folder down button and nothing. I hold the folder down button it beeps and goes to the first song in the existing folder. HOW DO I GET IT TO SKIP TO THE SECOND FOLDER?

·
Registered
420 Posts
jagooch said:
Aww, I was hoping the stock stereo could read mp3's from a data DVD... sounds like it only reads data CD's though. Oh well.
Mine works just fine, and I've got Base model with the simplest stereo. It moves between MP3 folders too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts