Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1"3/4 trailer hitch from which I mount a four bike rack .
Not wanting the weight of the spare out there with the bikes , I put a Sport Rac cargo basket on the factory roof racks and mount the tire up there .
I will have pics of the set up this spring .

B

·
0 Posts
ccaddy,
Yeah, I have a bike carrier that rides off of the hitch. It can carry three bikes. I have a Yakima load warrior that sits on top of the RAV, but with that full, the bikes have to go on the back. Unfortunately, I'll only get 22mpg with the rack on and full and the bikes on the back...eek...

Bogatyr

J

·
0 Posts
you only get 22??? Today i filled up and got 19 and was super happy. I usualy get about 16-17.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Bike Carrier that fits on the spare tire. Thule Spare Me. Have had it for about three years and carried two bikes for 10K miles without incident. I did have to add screw on clamps to hold the horizontal brackets into place. Jim

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty leary of those spare tire mount , bike racks .

If youi've ever had your spare off , you'll notice that the mouint
bolts right to the rear door panel .
I don't know how much the panel is reinforced to take the weight of the mount and the tire but I would think you'd be pushing it by the time you add the weight of the rack and bikes on top of it .

·
Registered
5 Posts
funny thing..
my brother just recently bought a bike and those "D" locks
i put the lock through the spare tire. (the 97" Alloy wheel) and just locked it to the bike. hanging it.. forgot to take pictures.... I had to take my bro and the bike down to santa barbara (2hr drive) & we made it.. so that works for me :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eewww , that set up is secure all right but I doubt if it will be
continuely secure enough to prevent the bike from wobbling away causing damage to the rear door .
Great idea if you are in a pinch but as a regular way to carry a bike all year ..... I wouldn't do it .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a Thule spare tire mounted rack and it works well so far. I have yet to travel any great distances with it though. I ride a fairly heavy full-suspension mountain bike and it does sway a bit. You can put an end to that with some tarp straps easily enough though. The rack does come with a strap as well. There is an aftermarket anti-sway deal you can purchase as well. I just went with the spare tire rack because I didn't want to compromise my fuel economy with a roof rack, I didn't want to have to pay to get a hitch mounted and I wanted to be able to access whatever it is I have in the back by simply swinging the bike off to the side.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Bungee cords work better than straps.

I have a Thule Parkway 4 bike rack for my Rav4. I fit both of my road bikes and mountain bikes no problem. I can even let the spare tire where it is, though you can't use the rear door at all, all is accessible through the passenger seats. I have no swaying of the bikes, and good rear visibility. I tried an spare tire rack, but it slid off the tire the first time I went around a curve, then I just broke down the bike and fit it in the back with the seats folded up, that was until I began doing races...began carpooling with 3 other guys, and bought that Thule rack. Has worked great thus far I don't see why people still mess with the trunk/spare tire racks anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
^ For the reasons I mentioned above. Hitches aren't cheap. The spare tire rack is. I can access the rear. It works. BTW, I don't see how your tire could slip off of the rack as neither tire is connected to the rack in any way.

S

·
0 Posts
How to do wheelie on a normal mountain bike which has no gears and disk brakes? Please someone help me to do wheelies on a normal mountain bike with no gears and disk brakes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts