Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

Just bought some rather expensive strips of rubber from Toyota to replace my existing wiper blades as they were splitting.

I've been scratching my head on how to remove the rubber blades with out damaging the wiper holder. It looks like they should slide out of the holders, then transfer the two silver metal retaining strips to the new blades and refit, sounds easy enough but there must be a technique for doing this, can I have your help on this one please!

Many thanks,

Brownie

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
One tip is to remove the wiper blade from the wiper arm. Makes the job a whole lot easier. Then just do as you described. Slide the wiper off of the blade, remove the 2 metal strips and replace onto the new blade. Then just do the reverse of removal.

To remove the wiper blade from the wiper arm, you need to:

1. Raise the wiper arm away from the windshield and lock it to the upright position.

2. Tilt the wiper blade at the furthest angle away from the arm.

3. Near the point where the blade pivots on the arm; the blade attachment point will have a small lever. Depress the lever and pull hard away from the wiper arm. The blade should slide off of the wiper arm shaft.

4. Then you will be able to remove and replace the blade much easier.

It takes awhile to get familiar with changing wiper blades in this fashion. Once you master this, then you should be able to do it on most Japanese cars. Good luck. :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Derek, I'll give it another go this weekend! :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Brownie if you don't already leave the wiper blade up when parked or keep a spray bottle full of windshield Washer fluid in the house or car to remove that ice I would suggest that you do.
I too was in shock when I had to pay $25 US for the 3 strips of rubber :eek: and I noticed how thin the pivot point is behind the squeegee where all 3 of mine ripped.
So now if I forget to lift the blades, and they are iced on the windshield, I go get the spray bottle before starting the car just incase the wiper switch is accidentally turned on.

Walt

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can not understand why rubber strips for wiper arm from Toyota cost so much in some other countries. I just had my Corollas rear wiper blade changed at Toyota Sweden here for just 3 Euros (or 3 US dollars). The man at the service dept. was even kind enough to cut it to size and mount it on the arm. Cheap and fast. I think that the Toyota centre in some countries are ripping you guys off. The customer lobby in Sweden is very powerful and that helps. Toyota centre here has always had the highest standard and service compared to all other manufacturers. The worst culprits are the European car manufacturers like Volksvagen with bad service and high cost.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Volkswagen here is the same. The price of parts is crazy and the dealers terrible. The owner of one dealer sold my newly immigrated Chinese neighbor a used VW with a cracked Audi battery and told him it was totally normal to break over a Canadian winter.…
I got so pissed off I went to the dealer for him and made them give him a battery. :evil:

As for the wiper blades,, definitely yes. Cost them very little and they squeeze us.

Hey u should sell the stuff on Ebay in Canada. :wink:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go to AUTOZONE or something like that

I just got 2 rear wiper blades for $6.99 (294mm) I think 12 inches. Brand is ANCO or something like that, yellow package. Much sturdier than the OEM wiper baldes and they slid right in and come with locking caps. Seemed to me to be better quality than OEM. I have not replaced the fornt ones yet but when I do I will not be going to the dealer. The two metal strip things seem flimsy to me.
Aftermarket wiper blades are much better anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
change rubber wiper insert

I try to remove the front wiper blade but unsuccesful. If anybody has a photos on how to remove the blade from from the arm pls share with me.

thanks
-aziym-

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Re: change rubber wiper insert

aziym said:
I try to remove the front wiper blade but unsuccesful. If anybody has a photos on how to remove the blade from from the arm pls share with me.

thanks
-aziym-
Sorry I don't have any pics but I did explain it once so here it is:

Pop Up the Wiper Arm.

Here on all parts will be referred to as top and bottom. Bottom end will be the hinged end.

To understand the system, Pull on the middle of the Rubber Blade and see how it interacts with the 4 flanged arms of the Steel Wiper Arm. The Blade freely slides on the top 3 Flanges and the bottom Flange locks into place on the notched (or embossed) section of the Blade.

Removal:

Tilt the Whole Wiper Arm slightly on an angle for you need to slide the Rubber blade Downwards and out..
First you need to depress the 2 protruding stop Dimples or Bosses locked in that Notched section, and pull the Rubber Blade downwards, sliding out of the 3 guide flanges of the Wiper Arm.
You can use a screw driver and push one side at a time.

Then remove the 2 flexible pieces of steel support strips imbeded in the Rubber Blade, one on each side should easily be removed.
Cut the Top side of the new Rubber Blade to match the length of the old one. Cutting the top and not the Notched bottom side.
Re-insert the 2 steel support strips. I can’t remember if they are notched and have a receiving member in the Rubber, so please check.
You may want to temporarly place some tape on the bottom end because the steel may pop out easily.
Then reverse the whole process buy inserting the top of the Blade into the receiveing bottom end of the Wiper Flange and push up, Remove that tape, continue until the bottom flange locks and is accepted by the Bottom Rubber

And Voula !!! Your done…

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: change rubber wiper insert

[quote="waltrav"

Sorry I don't have any pics but I did explain it once so here it is:

:D[/quote]

Dear Walt

thank you for yr help. Job done and it so easy to remove the blade. Just a bit difficult to insert the robber and metal into the blade.

regards
aziym

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Aziym your welcome :D

Zorin did the Michelins fit OK, and are they the right length? If so than that is a better way to go.
But I ran into the C-tire (store) problem, that they gave me the wrong wipers. And if I was to pay myself for waiting at their returns desk for every mistake they make... Well :roll:

Cheers, Walt :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts