Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like my intro said, we bought a 2017 Rav4 Limited 3 weeks ago. I’m liking it more and more each day. One of the things that Toyota prides itself on is the safety features of their vehicles.
The Limited comes with the smart key and push button start/stop switch. I found out, the hard way, that I can turn the car OFF in N,D,and P. I found this out the other day when I went to park the car in my drive way, I pushed the button to turn the engine off, opened the door and saw that the car was rolling back. I didn't put the car in park but I was still able to turn off the engine . I also found out that I can START the car in any any of those selections. The only thing I noticed is that the radio does not go off and you can not lock the doors.

It must have something to do with the push button start/stop and smart key.
Before I go to the dealership to make a fool of myself, I would like to know if this is the norm for other 2017 Rav4 Limited owners.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Read your owner's manual! The car can be shut off by pressing the START button no matter what gear is selected, just as you can with any car with a keyed ignition. The purpose of this is to give the driver the option to cut the engine off in an emergency situation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
I don't have pushbutton start but can't believe any car should be able to start in D unless something's wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In both my 2012 Rav4 and 2011 Tacoma I was only able to start in P and once started, you could not get the key out until it was in Park. It seems in my 2017 Limited, that's not required.

I checked the manual and it says "If engine is stopped with shift lever in a position other that P, the engine switch will not be turned off but instead be turned to Accessory mode. " The it goes on to say that to stop, check that the shift lever is in P. The Manual say to start, you have to check that shift lever is in P. No where does it mention that you can start from any other position. Unless there is different rules between USA and Canada cars as far as starting and stopping the engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Limited comes with the smart key and push button start/stop switch. I found out, the hard way, that I can turn the car OFF in N,D,and P. I found this out the other day when I went to park the car in my drive way, I pushed the button to turn the engine off, opened the door and saw that the car was rolling back. I didn't put the car in park but I was still able to turn off the engine . I also found out that I can START the car in any any of those selections.
I can do the same on a Nissan Murano, also on my new lexus (it has a warning sound and dash sign display), but haven't tried starting the engine back on..

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
You should only be able to start the engine with the shift in P or N.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In both my 2012 Rav4 and 2011 Tacoma I was only able to start in P and once started, you could not get the key out until it was in Park. It seems in my 2017 Limited, that's not required.

I checked the manual and it says "If engine is stopped with shift lever in a position other that P, the engine switch will not be turned off but instead be turned to Accessory mode. " The it goes on to say that to stop, check that the shift lever is in P. The Manual say to start, you have to check that shift lever is in P. No where does it mention that you can start from any other position. Unless there is different rules between USA and Canada cars as far as starting and stopping the engine.
Are you sure the car wasn't in neutral when you tried to restart it? I would go buy a lottery ticket if you can go out to your car and start it in drive or reverse because the odds of that would be incredibly slim. :D But seriously, if you can start the car in drive, take it to the dealership immediately.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Are you sure the car wasn't in neutral when you tried to restart it? I would go buy a lottery ticket if you can go out to your car and start it in drive or reverse because the odds of that would be incredibly slim. :D But seriously, if you can start the car in drive, take it to the dealership immediately.
This is the conclusion that I have arrived at as well. I think you need to go out and repeat your test.

Turning off the engine while not in the park position is a trick that seems to be common for almost all vehicles with push-button start.

If you want to listen to the radio while waiting in the vehicle, the radio will shutdown when you stop the engine. Then you have to push the button again, without your foot on the brake to get into accessory mode. Then you have to wait for your infotainment system to reboot.

The alternative is to push the button while still in drive. The engine will stop, the radio will keep playing (i.e. accessory mode), and then you shift into park.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
am I the only one that uses their handbrake every time I park?
No, there MUST be another one, maybe even two somewhere. And I bet all of you used to drive stick shift vehicles. But is getting rarer to hear the RRRIIIIPPP of someone wearing out the latch & detents of their parking brake. At least when I used to use it (on my stick shift cars) I'd hold the release button in while setting it so there was no noise.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
am I the only one that uses their handbrake every time I park?
Every time. Habit from driving standard as speculated by Dyno. But also, I park in a multi story parkade at work which is also on and incline or decline. No point in wearing out or putting the stress on the parking pawl. I also press the button till it's near the where I want to latch it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is the conclusion that I have arrived at as well. I think you need to go out and repeat your test.

Turning off the engine while not in the park position is a trick that seems to be common for almost all vehicles with push-button start.

If you want to listen to the radio while waiting in the vehicle, the radio will shutdown when you stop the engine. Then you have to push the button again, without your foot on the brake to get into accessory mode. Then you have to wait for your infotainment system to reboot.

The alternative is to push the button while still in drive. The engine will stop, the radio will keep playing (i.e. accessory mode), and then you shift into park.
I've never seen a car that you could not turn off anytime with a key. You just cannot lock the steering wheel and get the key out. That is the only difference I see.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I use mine often - my driveway is on an incline. However, in very cold and freezing weather I try to avoid using it overnight - I don't want the E brake to freeze up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct RatRav, I tested it again and it only starts in P and N. Starting is not my major concern, its the ability of turning off the engine in any gear and walking out of the car. Not much safety in that. I'm going to talk to the service guy at the dealership to see if this is the norm for the smart key cars.

I guess I should use the handbrake, but I gave up that habit 50 years ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I phoned the dealership and the service guy there said that yes, the engine can be turned off on any gear, P,N,D,R. It's the norm for vehicles with the push button start/stop. As for a safety concern, he suggested that I use the emergency brake. Sure wish I knew that beforehand. The only reason I got the Limited was because it's the only model with leather seats.
Looks like I'm going to have to take a step backwards and resort my old habit of using the hand brake. crap....

·
Registered
160 Posts
It had happened like two times max usually when I'm in a rush and forgot to put in P before shutting it off, luckily I still was in the vehicle and hit the brakes. Now I remember a few month ago this young guy the actor who got kill by his own car after he stepped out to get the mail and the truck struck him downhill. Definitely something to be aware.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Looks like I'm going to have to take a step backwards and resort my old habit of using the hand brake. crap....
Or shift to Park before hitting the button. Just like I lock my cars & trucks with the remote instead of the button on the inside door handle. Only way I can be sure to not lock myself out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Or shift to Park before hitting the button. Just like I lock my cars & trucks with the remote instead of the button on the inside door handle. Only way I can be sure to not lock myself out.
you can't lock yourself out if the key fob is still inside of the vehicle.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
On my son's Jeep Cherokee, if you stop the engine without going into Park, then open the door, the electric parking brake will automatically engage if the computer detects the vehicle rolling.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What's wrong with putting the car in park before shutting the car off, like it's done with every car? It's obvious the engineers can't let the car engage park when the driver turns the car off. There are many scenarios where you need the engine to shut off, but remain in gear or neutral.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts