Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asking myself a question since i bought my Rav4...

Why is it that they say not to rustproof an hybrid?
I first tought it was because they wanted to try ans sell me some gizmo instead but no...

I live in Quebec and they use salt on the roads in winter, lots of salt and I am planning to keep my RAV4 for a good 10-15 years......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who is "they"? There's no reason not to do it on a Rav4HV.
Dealership, he started offering the overpriced rustproofing and stopped when he remenbered it was an hybrid and said we couldn't to it or it would void some of the warranty...
One of my co-worker was told the same thing at Honda...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have had both my hybrids rustproofed, Auris2013 and R4H2016, live in a country with salted winter roads...

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
From the Krown FAQs:

https://www.krown.com/faqs/#can-you-spray-a-hybrid-vehicleij

Can you spray a Hybrid vehicle?

Most manuals for Hybrids specifically state no rust proofing is to be applied. This is due to the fact that most rust proofing products are designed to leave a heavy coating. These coating type products can cover the sensors underneath and actually lead to safety risks for technicians working on the vehicle. Krown leaves only a light oily residue that is designed to displace moisture and slow the corrosion process. Krown has a dielectric strength of 40000 volts, meaning it is non-conductive and will not have any impact on the electrical system. We have been spraying hybrids for a long time and treat many of them on an annual basis. From a body structure perspective, they follow our standard application process.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well we would not have 12 years rust warranty here if our R4H's wasn't rust threated here in Norway.
And yes we pay for it. We have worlds highest car prices here. And some of the toughest climates for cars, like you probably do in parts of Canada as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had mine undercoated and rustproofed by the dealer. They never said anything about not doing it because it was a hybrid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in a salting area, and recently retired my 2007 Honda Pilot with no additional undercoating after 160k, 9 years, and no rust on the vehicle itself, only on the aftermarket uhaul hitch. I had my 1988 Toyota Van rustproofed when it was new, and it was rusting through 8 years and 100k later. Rusty Jones was the brand, which went out of business due to quality issues. So if you want to go the rustproofing route, it would behoove you to be sure whoever is applying it uses a quality product and does it correctly. Can't say I've noticed many RAV4's with rust issues in my area. It seems that cars resist rusting better in recent years than they used to. Regular washes may be a better investment. My $0.02 worth on the topic...;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't see the point in lying if they aren't going to try to sell me something else...:confused:
I hear you. I bought rustproofing with 2019 Rav4 Hybrid, dealer said 10 year guarantee or they repair rust, only apply it once, which made me wonder, and just before pickup on 4 week waiting list they cancelled it with paint protection they had tossed in for about $850 Canadian. And said the Electronic Module option on other Toyotas worse option on Hybrid. So I get if they don't do it and had sold it, that they had issues. The dealers don't do the treatment themselves they resell it for a high margin. So when in doubt I talk to a couple of body shops that I know very well who oil sprayed my previous vehicles.. They indicate they have been doing them for a while but have to be more careful with the hybrids but they do them. And I saw something on the Ford Explorer Engine sensor can act for about 2 weeks until the oil spray settles. I just looked at Krown and read the same notes they have about Hybrid, because I am moving to another city this may the option I choose. I would luv to hear from any other 2019 Rav4 Hybrid owners if they did rust proofing and who did it.
I believe over 30 years the best products I have seen are the oil based, wax based treatments you apply every year unless you drive under 15000 k a year (9000 miles) then every second year if you live in a winter climate. The crap they put on the roads now adays in the winter permeates everywhere on the car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jari, which company did your rust proofing on th R4H2016
Börjes in Västerås Sweden http://www.borjesrostskydd.se/ did that job, haven't got around to do that on my NX so far,
getting a tad nippy here so I should do before the salting of roads starts again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts