Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on a nice deserted stretch of straight highway late the other night and decided to see if the Rav has a speed limiter. I was quite suprised when the Rav easily hit 120mph. I backed right off when it hit 120 but probably it had a little more if I wanted to push it. I certainly dont recommend doing this, but wanted to give you guys a heads up as to what Rav is capable of, so please, no lectures.

BTW,

Tires are "H" rated (To 130mph, I believe).

Rav was a V6 Sport AWD

R

·
0 Posts
No lectures, but:

1) You have big brass ones, and
2) I wouldn't have done it.

Nice to know it can be done!

How fast have I gone? About 80, and I LOVE that the V-6 sounds so polite in the cabin while cruising at any speed. It has a bit of a "growl" in hard acceleration, which is fine, I guess. More important to me than "speed and acceleration" are "safe and capable," with speed when necessary, and I feel that in spades with this car. Toyota did a nice job with this one!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually keep it between 65-75 on the highway and the Rav seems to cruise right along nicely. Every day I drive it, I like it better and better.

I saw that C&D article too. I'm just curious, what is "Drag limited" for top speed mean? I must say I am suprised that Toyota would put out an SUV capable of such high speeds. Good thing we've got decent tires.

A

·
0 Posts
With the I-4, have found myself once or twice getting up to 90 mph without even noticing, the car is that well behaved. Of course, as soon as I realize it, I relax the gas pedal, more out of fear of a ticket than out of concern for over-taxing the car.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
mlot51 said:
I usually keep it between 65-75 on the highway and the RAV seems to cruise right along nicely. Every day I drive it, I like it better and better.

I saw that C&D article too. I'm just curious, what is "Drag limited" for top speed mean? I must say I am suprised that Toyota would put out an SUV capable of such high speeds. Good thing we've got decent tires.
Drag limited means that's as fast as it can go before the engine and gearing can go before air resistance prevents it from accelerating any further.

If it's "drag limited" and not "redline limited" it means the engine could go faster, if in a more aerodynamic vehicle.

A

·
0 Posts
When i bought Rav4, the sales person asked me to drive below 70 Mph for atleast one month, he also suggested me to drive in the local road with 40mph. I asked the reason he said if we drive between 40mph and 70mph for initial month the VALVE and engine gets proper stabilization...not sure how far it is true but i am following his advice..

So far i got maximum of 69MPH...

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
I finally found a vehicle that I couldn't out-accelerate... A Corvette, previous model year, maybe a little older... Not that I usually run around trying to find anyone to drag, or anything mind you, but I'd love to see the other driver's faces when I pull away from them so fast. :lol:

From a standing stop at a red light, I started off the line faster (or the Vette wasn't really trying at first) then the Vette took a slight edge and very slowly pulled away -- he was probably amazed that I shadowed him for the mile or so I stayed close behind. 8)

I'll just say that C&D's numbers are probably very doable. :wink:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
hes full of it.. Why don't you read your owners manual...

amy said:
When i bought RAV4, the sales person asked me to drive below 70 Mph for atleast one month, he also suggested me to drive in the local road with 40mph. I asked the reason he said if we drive between 40mph and 70mph for initial month the VALVE and engine gets proper stabilization...not sure how far it is true but i am following his advice..

So far i got maximum of 69MPH...

R

·
0 Posts
For many years, the standard guidance -- from the owner's manual -- was to not drive the vehicle faster than 55 (or even 45) until the engine was broken in. I remember distinctly from one of my Camry manuals (95 or 01, don't remember which) the instruction to "not drive at a constant speed, but to vary the speed a little from time to time" -- all in the name of conditioning the valves and pistons, etc. Could be the sales person is remembering the rules of yore -- no, that doesn't excuse inaccurate information -- or just being extra cautionary. It certainly won't HURT to drive very conservatively for a short while. I'm not an engineer, and couldn't possible argue the merits of any of these approaches, but flyingn is right that these warnings of old do not appear anymore in the manual.

I also remember warnings not to use synthetic oil until after a LONG break-in, but some manufacturers today use synthetic as original factory oil fill, so ---- I'm not too worried about that, either, these days. One thing I will recommend against is the habitual use of engine cleaners that you put into the crankcase while idling the engine for 5 minutes. Yeah, they might give you a nice, clean engine, but they will definitely wear out your seals prematurely (it happened to me), precipitating some expensive repairs down the road. Besides, if you use synthetic oil regularly, your engine will stay clean anyway.

Sorry for the off-topic, but it's all about caring for our engines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
140mph(225+kmh)....:wink:

....on the autobahn during a recent trip to germany.

... driving a 5 series Beemer :p , at that moment, I was thinking 2 things; one, would really suck if I crashed and two, wish I was in my v6 rav. Always wanted to see what the ride would be like at speeds over 100mph.

Guess I will have to wait till an open desert road comes across my path.

-day19
(my max in the Rav: 90mph)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts