Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a rav4 and would like to know all your thoughts on how the rav4 handles and goes through the snow,ice. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Jim,

There has been much discussion about this if you search a few posts in the General 4.2 and I believe Accessories 4.2 on tires.

Hopefully someone could kindly send you the links.

:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
snow

Archer.........What tires came with your Rav :?: :?: My orig stink ...I plan to get a new set after this winter 8) Still gotta lot of meat....But they still stink :oops: :oops: As far as the car...OHHHHHH Baby it's good da snow 8) 8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rav has uniroyal tigerpaw tires that are new. I live in the boonies and have a steep gravel road and in the winter it can get interesting to say the least. I have a plow truck so ground clearance should not be a problem. I also have a ford F-150 4x4 that i use for the worst days (deep snow) We get lake effect snow here by the feet at times. One day a couple years ago we got 7 feet in 24 hours. :shock:

·
Registered
986 Posts
I love to drive my Rav in the snow, and so far it has not let me down once. It's fun to do donuts with the 4WD, and I use snow tires during the winter so I get decent traction. The driving traction is fine, it's the steering and braking that gets a little hairy sometimes. However if you take it easy you will be fine.

R

·
0 Posts
I lived in Michigan until a few months ago.... I loved driving it in snow. Never got stuck anywhere.. NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If somebody mentions having trouble, they are probably trying to climb the Himaliyas Glaciers !!! :)

S

·
0 Posts
Live in Quebec City Canada .. a typical snow storm (1) will dump easily 10 cm's (4-5 inches) and the Rav4 with good tires will get you anywhere you want to go (being reasonable) ... I never got stuck

Try it ... it's worth it, you might be surprised ..

SR.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The stock Toyos and FWD with traction/stability control got us around just fine. Didn't even see a need for AWD. With the exception of this 2 foot snowfall. We didn't see a snow plow for several days and the RAV just bottomed out right outside our driveway. But with stuff that deep it doesn't matter how many wheels you're spinning. Just had snow packed up to the frame.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yeah it Does matter how many wheels pulling you out. If you got stuck in the middle of nowhere would you want two guys to try to push you out of a ditch or four? The difference in two or four is amazing. I know I have driven both under test conditions in deep snow. Best 4x4 I've ever owned! M.

R

·
0 Posts
nouse4aname said:
The stock Toyos and FWD with traction/stability control got us around just fine. Didn't even see a need for AWD. With the exception of this 2 foot snowfall. We didn't see a snow plow for several days and the RAV just bottomed out right outside our driveway. But with stuff that deep it doesn't matter how many wheels you're spinning. Just had snow packed up to the frame.

Looking at your picture reminds me of a snow storm a few years ago in Niagra Falls while we were visiting there. My RAV was parked outside. The snow was up to my doors in the morning but guess what, we got out without any trouble.

I had a 2WD before I bought this 4WD, I had SOME trouble with the 2WD, not as much as a CAR but it did make me sweat a few times, the difference is amazing between a 4WD and a 2WD. You just have to be wise and not over confident.

I remember driving from Cleveland to Detroit frequently last winter because my sister lives there. Those who know Cleveland, it get a lot of snow because of lake effect. I never had any trouble in any of the winter storms.

All that with 25mph+... ? It is as good as it gests.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
RAV4EVR said:
Looking at your picture reminds me of a snow storm a few years ago in Niagra Falls while we were visiting there. My RAV was parked outside. The snow was up to my doors in the morning but guess what, we got out without any trouble.
Were the roads plowed though? The Rav's 6.3 inch ground clearance is a serious problem in such deep snow. When your front bumper tries to become a snowplow and the snow gets packed in your wheel wells and your frame ends up resting on it, you're not going anywhere AWD or no.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You said it. I got my Subaru (also 6.3" ground clearance & AWD) stuck in heavy, deep snow last winter in our unploughed parking lot at work. It was just sitting on top of the snow and not able to put power to the ground. My RAV would have had a better chance with 7.5" of air underneath.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you have fresh winters like i always preached, you can plow snow :lol:

I did it 2 years back here i Toronto. It is hard on the 2.0 engine and probably not the greatist thing for the mechanical parts under the chasis but the tires formed and dug in so well that traction was never an issue.

R

·
0 Posts
nouse4aname said:
RAV4EVR said:
Were the roads plowed though? The RAV's 6.3 inch ground clearance is a serious problem in such deep snow. When your front bumper tries to become a snowplow and the snow gets packed in your wheel wells and your frame ends up resting on it, you're not going anywhere AWD or no.
There was about a foot of snow (not plowed)......but also not ice solid so nothing needed to be plowed as snow was soft. The only thing is that the snow got inside all my engine parts and the suspension and wheel wells, inside the holes of the front bumper, infront of the radiator but the RAV never let me feel that it was struggling thanks to its TORQUE.

That was the only time I saw that much snow, usually it was always 6 to 7 inches maximum. Never had any problem. If I was to move to Montreal or close to Siberia, i am pretty sure I will need the SECOND generation 4Runner.

Speaking of GROUND CLEARANCE... do u guys know the 4Runner story?

Compare second generation to the third to the recent one, they keep on lowering the floor.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
RAV4EVR said:
Speaking of GROUND CLEARANCE... do u guys know the 4Runner story?

Compare second generation to the third to the recent one, they keep on lowering the floor.
Same story for the 2nd vs 1st-generation RAV4. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue for the 2006 model.

M

·
0 Posts
ahhh the winter

winter time is the best season for driving the rav I think. If you get a good tready tires on the rav getting stuck should not be much of an issue on main roads, snow banks and trying to go threw the deep stuff might be. The 1st winter seaon i got stuck many time with the factory tires that were bald, the next 1 was all good with the yoko's at's.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Re: ahhh the winter

mr-rocksonrocks said:
winter time is the best season for driving the RAV I think. If you get a good tready tires on the RAV getting stuck should not be much of an issue on main roads, snow banks and trying to go threw the deep stuff might be. The 1st winter seaon i got stuck many time with the factory tires that were bald, the next 1 was all good with the yoko's at's.
agree with mr-rocksonrocks. I love driving in snow :D especially driving by friends who got stuck with their mustangs in 3inches of snow :lol:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its almost as if they built it for snow. I agree the winter is awesome but does anyone have a block heater in thier Rav? I don't and many mornings with -30 I wish I did. All my other cars came with them O.E. The Rav I don't think it was ever offered. I will have to buy an aftermarket Oil or block heater for this winter. Although I find that it warms up pretty quick, this will make it better for the engine at start-up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts