Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Marcutio said:
Its almost as if they built it for snow. I agree the winter is awesome but does anyone have a block heater in thier RAV? I don't and many mornings with -30 I wish I did. All my other cars came with them O.E. The RAV I don't think it was ever offered. I will have to buy an aftermarket Oil or block heater for this winter. Although I find that it warms up pretty quick, this will make it better for the engine at start-up.
Thats kinda wierd because you rav shoulda bin equiped with 1. The cord should be located in the lower portion of the bumper/grill on the drivers side. I had a bit of troulbes finding the cord too as from the factory it is coiled up and barried with in the bumber. You mite need a flashlight and a pair of plier to fish it out. Good luck

·
Registered
771 Posts
My wife always says that I never look good enough for things. This may be one of those things. I'll take another look but I thought I was pretty thourough. Thanks, I'll let you know. M.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
In the colder parts of the country most dealers just automatically install block heaters in every vehicle they sell, but this isn't normally done in areas where winter isn't as extreme. You can still get a block heater installed by the dealership but you have to ask.

·
Registered
43 Posts
mr-rocksonrocks said:
Marcutio said:
Its almost as if they built it for snow. I agree the winter is awesome but does anyone have a block heater in thier RAV? I don't and many mornings with -30 I wish I did. All my other cars came with them O.E. The RAV I don't think it was ever offered. I will have to buy an aftermarket Oil or block heater for this winter. Although I find that it warms up pretty quick, this will make it better for the engine at start-up.
Thats kinda wierd because you RAV shoulda bin equiped with 1. The cord should be located in the lower portion of the bumper/grill on the drivers side. I had a bit of troulbes finding the cord too as from the factory it is coiled up and barried with in the bumber. You mite need a flashlight and a pair of plier to fish it out. Good luck
The O1 RAV has a stock block heater?? I didn't know this. :roll:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Must be only the Canadian versions, because mine didn't come with one.

S

·
0 Posts
The 2004 RAV does very well in the snow. Last winter, I tried to get stuck in snow up to 12" and never did, even with the stock tires. I tried pulling off to the side of roads in unplowed sections, on hills and unplowed parking lots, but never had any trouble getting out. I was impressed with how well the RAV does in snow. It didn't even slip much pulling out.

P

·
0 Posts
Studded Snow Tires

I have a new set of studded snow tires (Nokian Hakka 2's) that I will be installing this winter. My only concern is ground clearance, because we get a lot of deep snow in the North Carolina Mountains (really). My 99 4Runner did very well with the same studded tires, but even that was not high enough in some of the really deep storms (26" last winter).

The newer 4Runners are lower, probably the same height as the RAV4, so I guess with all this SUV rollover bad press, they are lowering all the models.

P

·
0 Posts
Block Heater

Can you install a block heater in a US model? I used to live in Montreal and Toronto, Canada and that was standard equipment in Montreal, but some parts of the US are just as cold. It gets to about -5°F here in North Carolina, cold enough to plug it in for quicker starts. A battery warmer is also nice, but I have yet to find anything like that down south.

A

·
0 Posts
This is a great thread. I just bought my RAV, Sept 13 th 2005.
I live in Ottawa , Canada and we get tons of snow for 5-6 months a year. I cant wait to get the 4WD out in the snow. For the first time I am excited to dirve in snow. I previously drove a 1994 Altima. with 260,000 km's.. I lost 1st and 2nd gear in the Altima and picked up the RAV a week later. We have so much snowing, blowing snow and black ice here it is crazy. A good friend of mine died because of black ice, there was talk that if she had 4WD she would have been fine. When you live in long term cold, snowy climates I believe that 4WD is a neccesity. I know I wont be worried about my GF's driving this winter.

:p

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only thing I enjoy about winter, is driving in (or just after) snow storms, with my Rav4! Once or twice last year, I went out for drives at night before the plows got out, just so I could drive around the empty streets with lots of deep fresh snow on them.

I've never gotten hopelessly stuck or into trouble with my Rav. Once or twice I've been 'caught' in a big plow's snowbank at the end of my driveway, but a few back-and-forth rocks is all it takes to get free. I never shovel my driveway, never have to with the Rav.

It's good (and fun) in the snow.

-Stephanie

P

·
0 Posts
Hakkapeliitta Snow Tires

I've been driving in snow and ice for over 20 years. I'm originally from Montreal, but I now live in the high mountains of North Carolina. We get a lot of snow and ice up here, just like Canada. I've tried most of the name brand All Season tires and none of them are any good in snow and ice. After smacking my 4Runner in to a mountain on some black ice, I bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta Studded Tires. These tires are amazing. You can drive 45 mph on solid ice, and it's like summer. My driveway is a 30° steep hill, and I was able to get up it every day last winter, even in 12" of snow, and one day of solid ice from a standing start! I would have never attempted this with any other tires.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/suv_product_en?product=610500

The first thing I bought for the RAV4 was a second set of rims and 4 Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV studded tires. I use Nokian WR All Season tires for the summer, which by the way are also severe snow rated (just in case).

I've posted some photos of the Nokian summer and winter studded tires on my personal album. Both tires are severe snow rated.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts