Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got word that my ordered RAV4 should be hitting the Portland port around Feb. 5!! yippee!!! Now I'm thinking about putting tube steps on it and am wondering if this needs to be a dealer install or is it something simple that we can do at home?
I suppose I should go out and see if I can find an install pdf or something on them to see what it takes...

Thanks --

Kathy

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
The sidebars can be easily installed by the dealer. DON'T pay EXTRA for installation. The cost listed on the invoice INCLUDES installation. Maybe it's not to late to request they be installed at the PORT level... as that is where this OEM option is normally installed. Can't hurt to ask.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Kelly. I think I'll send Toy of Seattle an email today and ask them if they can do that. Probably easier than buying the part at a discount place and then paying the dealer to install it. Probably works out to be the same that way. We looked around last night on line and couldn't find any install guides for the thing.

Kathy

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My stealership wanted $600 USD for the Steel Horse Tube Steps! Got them online for $320 USD, install was easy. I did go out and buy stainless steel hardware(nuts and bolts) because it came with the zinc plated hardware, not good enough IMHO. Paid around $20 USD for the SS hardware. I remove the steps in the winter since the sand (larger stones) and salt gets caught between the body and the steps (especially in the front), causing stratching of the paint. The steps also makes it really tough to clean out the sand and salt in those tight areas between the body and steps.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the Steel Horse steps the Toyota ones? I think I've only seen them described as Tube Steps, or maybe I've just blanked on the "Steel Horse".

I take it there are places to bolt the things to already on the car?

Kathy

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Yes, "Steel Horse" are what Toyota uses.

They can be added to the invoice seperately @ $445 or added as part of the "C7" (convenience Pkg) @ $779 which also include the Exhaust Tip, Inside Automatic Day/Night Mirror.

After looking around a little, I see if you purchased the side bars from our forum sponsor (BrandSport) and use our coupon code (r4w) for the additional 10% off price, you could have the bars shipped (free shipping/no tax) to your house for $360.

Here are the install instructions --->

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought them 7 months ago, from BrandSport I think. Also got the 100% stainless steel Valor oval exhaust tip for $42 USD, it's the one Toyota specs, love the look! I think $360 USD is the best price you are now going to find for the tube steps.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious (and no offense), but are you guys buying the steps for looks or are you guys vertically challenged :D ? Cause I don't think the step up height is that bad to warrant steps, but I'm 5'11" so I guess it could certainly be an issue for shorter folk (not that I am gigantor by any means).

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great info, Kelly and Noodlerooney! We're definitely going to just install them ourselves since you found the install instructions for us. :) I still haven't decided about that exhaust tip. I haven't really been eye to eye with one to see why I would want to spend the money on it. I'm already getting the day/night mirror -- didn't realize it was a package I could get with all that. That's okay. I got just about everything under the sun on this car.
I ordered an in-dash 6 disc cd-changer (or however many cds it is). I hope it will work okay.... I'm tired of my CDs being at the back end of my VW. I heard that they haven't imported a car with that for awhile now. Wonder if that's true. Anyway, I'm getting the tube steps because I just like the looks of them. I'm 5'7" so height isn't an issue.

Kathy

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After re-reading Slayer's comments I forgot that the other reason I thought about getting the steps is because we ride tandem bicycles a lot and if we put it on top of the RAV it will be easier to get the thing up there.

Kathy

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay now I'm confused

I just realized something in searching online: there are two different steps. There are the "tube steps" and then there are the "Steel Horse Step Bars". I'm seeing both on toyota-parts.com
I think it was the tube steps that I saw on another RAV that I liked. But then I look at www.toyotaworld.com and what they are calling the tube steps are what toyota-parts.com calls steel horse step bars.

From toyota-parts.com :

00012-42200 Steel Horse Step Bars $343.75 + unknown shipping
PTS06-42010-13 Tube Steps $331.25 + unknown shipping

From ToyotaWorld.com:

00012-42200 Tube Steps $309.02 + unknown shipping
(but not the other one)

At Brandsport:

PTS06-42010-13 $399 (before our discount)

Kathy

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to ask this since I got an amazing deal today, I wen to the dealer to get my parking light fixed, first off it was the first time anyone has been nice to me service wise, second off they approached me and asked me if i wanted tube steps and I said sure but not for 400, and they said how about 100? So now im the proud owner of brand new chrome tube steps, but how hard would this to install on my own? I dont have a lift, is it feasable to do this on my own on my back without the car being jacked up? I have the pictures kelly gave, since they gave them to me. Any help would be appreciated as I am doing this tomorrow

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a good point about getting easier access to the roof rack! Hadn't thought of that as I haven't used mine yet :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Should be pretty easy to install tube steps without jacking up the Rav4. People have changed their oil filters without lifting the Rav4. I've installed my rear step bar and front griile guard without lifting the Rav either. Although if you don't have mudguards and plan on installing them later, I'd do the mudguards first. When I installed mine I found it hard to attach part of the mudguards cause the steps were in the way. That was a long time ago so I can't even remember what the problem was.

·
Registered
225 Posts
runciter said:
Just curious (and no offense), but are you guys buying the steps for looks or are you guys vertically challenged :D ? Cause I don't think the step up height is that bad to warrant steps, but I'm 5'11" so I guess it could certainly be an issue for shorter folk (not that I am gigantor by any means).
no offense taken but i installed the steps for looks. i'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'7" so getting in and out is not an issue. but the steps makes our RAV distinctive from the other RAV's out there since they are popular and quite common on the streets. the Tube type is the 'straight line' shape while Steel Horse has the inverted 'U' shape. the Steel Horse looks best IMHO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You mean you people actually USE the steps???
:p

The black pads on mine are always sooo loaded with Amorall, you're sure to slide right off if you step on them. But hey, as long as they are shiny :D

You don't need a lift, you can slide right under there and work easily. I installed them myself 3.5 years ago. The first side took me an hour to figure out. kept ending up with extra parts :p
When I finally got it, the second side took 10 minutes.

I recommend wearing safety goggles while under there.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The service department probably got stuck with a set after somebody backed out of a deal and they were going to get stuck with the part on the books. You probably got them for cost. It makes you wonder about the mark-up at a dealer.

Airmax97 said:
I have to ask this since I got an amazing deal today, I wen to the dealer to get my parking light fixed, first off it was the first time anyone has been nice to me service wise, second off they approached me and asked me if i wanted tube steps and I said sure but not for 400, and they said how about 100? So now im the proud owner of brand new chrome tube steps, but how hard would this to install on my own? I dont have a lift, is it feasable to do this on my own on my back without the car being jacked up? I have the pictures kelly gave, since they gave them to me. Any help would be appreciated as I am doing this tomorrow

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Installed a set of WAAG side steps in about an hour. Great instructions with pics and no drilling required.

The Factory side steps are also very easy to install.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts