Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister's AC stopped working and the dealer wanted over $1000 to replace the entire AC compressor. It turns out the AC flow sensor goes bad on these cars, not the entire pump. eBay sells aftermarket sensors for around $40. The website won't let me post the link so just google " rav4 AC flow sensor".

You don't even have to remote the old sensor. Remove the top rad support from the car, reach in and unplug the old sensor. Then, take the new sensor plug it in and I zip tie it to the AC line. The AC is now blowing cold again.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
What year is the RAV4?

Just to be clear. You had enough room to get the snap ring and sensor off without taking the Radiator fan out?

That would be great if you could! Did you take any pics while doing it?

BTW. Here's the link to the Flow Sensor for
Denso TSE17C Compressor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What year is the RAV4?

Just to be clear. You had enough room to get the snap ring and sensor off without taking the Radiator fan out?

This is a 2010 rav4 with the inline 4. I had enough room to get the old sensor out after hours of work. I could not get the new one back in so I gave up and just plugged it in and the AC worked.

I didn't take any pictures which is a shame. It was not that difficult to get the rad support out. I believe it was four bolts. This is a family members car. I thought if I made an account and shared this maybe I could save someone a $1000 trip to the dealer.

I made a post about interior rattles and it got deleted. If anyone has any rattles clean and lubricate the rear hatch locks. Then place down felt under each door's window switch. For the dash rip out all of the trim and place down more felt. Most squeaks came from the gear selector plate so I sprayed silicone lube around the plastic bit that is snapped into it. The squeaks and rattles are greatly reduced now. I saw someone shim the rear hatch. I might try this later today.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,450 Posts
Well done, Nick! Thank you for this. Does your sister's RAV4 have the auto A/C (Limited) or the manual? Someone else on the forum had this same problem, and measured the voltage on the sensor. Apparently the voltage was out of range so he changed the sensor and that fixed it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well done, Nick! Thank you for this. Does your sister's RAV4 have the auto A/C (Limited) or the manual? Someone else on the forum had this same problem, and measured the voltage on the sensor. Apparently the voltage was out of range so he changed the sensor and that fixed it.
This RAV4 is equipped with the manual climate controls. I believe I saw that thread and if it was below 3.84 volts the AC would not work. I checked with techstream for the sensor voltage.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
What year is the RAV4?

BTW. Here's the link to the Flow Sensor for
Denso TSE17C Compressor

You say it took hours to get it off. It may have been quicker just to pull out the radiator. So your flow sensor isn't even on the compressor anymore just wire tied to the pipe?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very interesting. So it doesn't actually get a reading directly from the compressor body.

I would have thought it had to be touching the compressor to get a reading.

Thanks for the info.
I am not sure what it a actually is supposed to read. Does anyone know a Toyota technician? The shop that I do BMW coding for had no idea what the purpose of the sensor. I don't know any Toyota specialty shops.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My sister's AC stopped working and the dealer wanted over $1000 to replace the entire AC compressor. It turns out the AC flow sensor goes bad on these cars, not the entire pump. eBay sells aftermarket sensors for around $40. The website won't let me post the link so just google " rav4 AC flow sensor".

You don't even have to remote the old sensor. Remove the top rad support from the car, reach in and unplug the old sensor. Then, take the new sensor plug it in and I zip tie it to the AC line. The AC is now blowing cold again.

View attachment 143674
Yup it works,did same thing a few hours ago

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you remove the other flow sensor or did you just wire tie the new flow sensor to the AC line?

How long did it take you to complete it?
Left old sensor in place,unhooked the wire from old sensor plugged it into new sensor,zip tied it to the metal line.Was my nephews idea to try it.It took longer to type this with 2 fingers than to install new sensor about 3 mins. 30 seconds....lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not sure what it a actually is supposed to read. Does anyone know a Toyota technician? The shop that I do BMW coding for had no idea what the purpose of the sensor. I don't know any Toyota specialty shops.
The AC flow sensor converts flow rate to a voltage that’s sent to the AC amplifier which communicates digitally with the ECM. So from what i gather is the sensor really is mounted on the exhaust manifold of the compressor and it is. So mounting it on the compressor line it is still reading the flow.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Left old sensor in place,unhooked the wire from old sensor plugged it into new sensor,zip tied it to the metal line.Was my nephews idea to try it.It took longer to type this with 2 fingers than to install new sensor about 3 mins. 30 seconds....lol
Did you get at the sensor from the bottom or top. Just want to know how you did it for the next person who comes here with the same problem.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The AC flow sensor converts flow rate to a voltage that’s sent to the AC amplifier which communicates digitally with the ECM. So from what i gather is the sensor really is mounted on the exhaust manifold of the compressor and it is. So mounting it on the compressor line it is still reading the flow.

I took out the radiator fan/ radiator combo plus the condenser to get a clear shot at the sensor and replaced the Flow Sensor on the compressor.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Looks like you really came up with a great and fast way to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, this blog is very helpful for me. I have bought new sensor, but my plug was broken and I had to buy plug also, but wire collors are different, can anyone help me with wiring please ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts