Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How is the 2016 XLE "free" navigation thru smart phone?

18K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  ka1axy 
#1 ·
I forgot what Toyota calls it but it seemed like a big upgrade from a 2015 and might be available even in the LE?

Any users with more details?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks for the link. I'm guessing Audio Plus is standard for XLE. This "Connected Nav" shows as "S" for standard on 19 of the Rav4 pdf ebrochure for 2016 downloaded from the Toyota site.

Anyone able to get this up and running well with iphone?

Entune™ Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App7 — includes the Entune™ Multimedia Bundle9 (6.1-in. high-resolution touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port10 with iPod®11 connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition,12 hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming13 via [FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std][FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std]Bluetooth[/FONT][/FONT]®14 wireless technology), Scout® GPS Link App,7 Siri® Eyes Free,15 SiriusXM® Satellite Radio16 with 3-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, HD Radio,™17 HD traffic and weather in major metro areas, and integrated backup camera display5

There is also this "integrated Nav" listed as an option "O" on page 21 under packages for XLE .

Entune™ Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation18 and App Suite7 — includes the Entune™ Multimedia Bundle9 (7-in. high-resolution touch-screen with split-screen display, AM/FM radio, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port10 with iPod®11 connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition,12 hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming13 via [FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std][FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std]Bluetooth[/FONT][/FONT]®14 wireless technology), Siri® Eyes Free,15 Entune® App Suite,7 HD Radio,™17 HD predictive traffic and Doppler weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio16 with 3-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, Gracenote® album cover art, and integrated backup camera display.5 Access to Entune™ services is subscription-free. See toyota.com/entune for details.

#4 ·
I have the integrated Nav on my XLE. I think the Nav system is actually pretty good. I had heard a lot of negatives about built-in vehicle Navs, but I honestly feel it works as well as the portable GPS I own (granted this GPS is several years old). It's not as good as say Google Maps though, but I like the ease of the directions coming through my vehicle and it will also show directions in the driver dash/infotainment. It does not allow you to input an address while driving, which I've heard complaints about. You can pre-program addresses though, which you can choose while driving. You can also verbally input addresses. I have not tried this. I've heard people say that feature does not work very well.

To get the integrated Nav you do have to purchase the Premium Entune Audio Package. It's a $525 upgrade. Personally I don't think it is a bad price for it compared to what some competitors charge for built-in Nav. If it were creeping over $1000 I would have foregone it, but I'm really glad I did get this. Personally I just like the looks of the 7in screen better on the dash, and the fact that you can have a map on your screen while driving. There is nothing special about the audio quality though. This option also gives you access to apps on the touchscreen for things like Pandora. I really have not used these as it will use your phone's data to work.

You may want to look on YouTube to see if anyone posted a video with the GPS app. Also note that if you do go for the upgrade package you lose the CD player.

#7 ·
Hmmm, I guess I don't understand the whole concept. I thought it would be using the information from my phone for maps. Maybe I'm willing it to be Carplay.

Since the SFS 2017 is out now and with Carplay, if Scout connect doesn't work well, SFS had the advantage here.

#12 ·
Sounds good. How do you do that? I have entune audio (base) and a Nexus 5 phone. Paired.
Thanks.

#13 ·
Hate the Scout Link navigation myself on my 2-week old XLE. Thought it would be nice to not have to pull out my phone all the time, but I just do not like it over the ease of Google Maps. Wish Toyota had Android Auto so I could just mirror my smart phone screen and have Google Maps or Waze on the console display.

#15 ·
after using scout gps during last week's long drive i found i constantly hangs and resets whenever you lose cell signals. PLus it slows down the entune radio response and had to turn it off midway as it was irritating me. Had to revert back google maps and waze to finish the remainder of the drive. I just wish Toyota would listen to its customers and just go with android auto or apple's car play like honda did.

#16 ·
I have a 2016 XLE. The Entune Plus is pretty useless, but I do like the HD Traffic app.

Has anyone else noticed that it indicates your position on the traffic map, and that the position updates as you drive?
Seems there's a built in GPS, even in the basic models. Handy, in that it gives you your location in relation to the major highways.

I did replace the stock mirror with a compass/autodim/garage door version I found on eBay for $60. That was a very worthwhile upgrade.

For nav, I use a Garmin with lifetime maps, which I purchased for $25 at Goodwill.
My wife prefers her iPhone. Neither of us see any need for Entune Premium and its $160/yr map updates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.