Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in being a nomad and living in a 2016-2017 Hybrid for it's ability to run in Ready mode and provide heat & A/C (yeah I know it's weird, but I'm close to retirement and I'm a minimalist with a lot of wanderlust). With that said, the Hybrid only has 7in of ground clearance and that may be a limiting factor with some roads I'd like to travel. I see the 2018 Adventure advertises 7.4in of GC. Does anyone know how it is accomplished and if it could perhaps be retrofitted to a 2016-2017 Hybrid? Many thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, for those more familiar... I hear about the 2018 Adventure model with higher ground clearance, but then I see an SE model hybrid for 2017 with the same 7.4 ground clearance on Toyota's website (cannot post links yet).

Is the SE the hybrid version of the Adventure? Confused...

·
Registered
71 Posts
You won't like living in a RAV4 hybrid. There is a bump in the trunk to allow for battery cooling and with batteries under the rear seat, the rear seatbacks don't fold flat, they are at an angle. So you will be very uncomfortable trying to sleep in the back of the RAV4 Hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Would of an inch make any difference or are you looking for more than that?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Would of an inch make any difference or are you looking for more than that?
I was thinking the same thing. For the expense of it to go up 0.4" seems crazy. Not sure how the adventure compares to the hybrids rear suspension. I know that the hybrids is different to compensate for the battery weight compared to the other non hybrid models

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You won't like living in a RAV4 hybrid. There is a bump in the trunk to allow for battery cooling and with batteries under the rear seat, the rear seatbacks don't fold flat, they are at an angle. So you will be very uncomfortable trying to sleep in the back of the RAV4 Hybrid.
I'm aware of the hump and I believe I can still build out the vehicle to suit me. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quickdtoo, if you drew a horizontal like from the top of the seats when folded down to the rear hatch (to make a level platform), would you have enough room to sit up with a 3in mattress installed? That's the plan for me 5' 9.5" self. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those fulltiming on the road and venturing out on BLM land out West, road conditions vary. From my research the most desireable trait of a vehicle is ground clearance, more so than 4x4, than tires, than self-rescue tools, etc..... ground clearance is the biggest factor in a vehicle getting down some of these roads, so every little bit counts. I would not lift it too big, else have to run bigger/heavier tires that results in poor MPG. It's all a balance. So if I can easily get another .4in, I'm all in.

Here are the road I'd be interested in venturing down, in order to easiest to hardest:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If you really need "off-road" capabilities, then the Rav4 is not for you.

That said, there isn't anything in your photos that a Rav4 can't handle. Of course a lot depends on the driver.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I've driven on a couple hundred miles of forest service and logging roads similar to the top two pics, some on the 3rd and 4th with careful rock removal in places, but pretty much avoid roads like the bottom pic, too many rocks to move!

Here's a thread with previous discussion links on sleeping in an HV, there's 25" from the seat back tops to the headliner, less at the back due to the slope of the roof.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/237906-rav4-hybrid-camping.html

·
Registered
197 Posts
My opinion is you should focus more on the fact that they Hybrid isn't an axle 4wd more than the ground clearance.

I would be far more concerned about getting alot more power to the rear wheels than what the EWD can offer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My opinion is you should focus more on the fact that they Hybrid isn't an axle 4wd more than the ground clearance.

I would be far more concerned about getting alot more power to the rear wheels than what the EWD can offer.
Like I said before, for the folks who are out there full timing, it has been repeatedly said to me that ground clearance is king. When you are a full time vandweller (perhaps you have converted a Chevy Express 2500 RWD) you have the luxury to stay put when roads are wet and muddy. So generally the roads traveled are dry and 4WD is not a benefit...ground clearance for big rocks, and approach and departure angle for washes are. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've driven on a couple hundred miles of forest service and logging roads similar to the top two pics, some on the 3rd and 4th with careful rock removal in places, but pretty much avoid roads like the bottom pic, too many rocks to move!

Here's a thread with previous discussion links on sleeping in an HV, there's 25" from the seat back tops to the headliner, less at the back due to the slope of the roof.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/237906-rav4-hybrid-camping.html
Many thanks for the link. I'd have to remove the seat backs, then build a freestanding platform over the battery pack once the seat cushion was removed on one side, and see what sort of headroom is left. Seems like it would be suitable. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm aware of the hump and I believe I can still build out the vehicle to suit me. Thanks.
If you do build it out, please post pictures. I've been looking at getting one and using it as a mini-camper on the weekends. I keep coming up with different ways to make the bump irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The Rav (and Highlander) is an XUV. It does not have a full frame and was not designed for much more than well maintained graded service roads.
While the Rav has not been based on the Corolla for a couple of generations, it's still not much more than that.
The dead giveaway on that is that you really do have more than 7" of clearance under most of the vehicle (I do my wife's oil changes without ramps or a jack), but the exhaust system hangs below the front and rear crossmembers and is VERY vulnerable to damage from rocks.
No skid plates are available for the 4.4, so any protection would have to be homebrew (and potentially cause issues with the hybrid cooling system).

You really would be better off with an older 4-Runner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Rav (and Highlander) is an XUV. It does not have a full frame and was not designed for much more than well maintained graded service roads.
While the Rav has not been based on the Corolla for a couple of generations, it's still not much more than that.
The dead giveaway on that is that you really do have more than 7" of clearance under most of the vehicle (I do my wife's oil changes without ramps or a jack), but the exhaust system hangs below the front and rear crossmembers and is VERY vulnerable to damage from rocks.
No skid plates are available for the 4.4, so any protection would have to be homebrew (and potentially cause issues with the hybrid cooling system).

You really would be better off with an older 4-Runner.
I would agree for the purpose of off-roading, but when I consider the ready mode / climate control ability of the RAV4 Hybrid, that wins out over any off-roading capabilities. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts