Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a water pump replaced December 12th by a shop with a pretty good reputation. Last night I noticed it's leaking everywhere and the car won't hold the coolant. My father thinks they'll replace the part for free since Toyota has a 1 year warranty, but that I'll be on the hook for the $500 in labor they originally charged. I had the extended warranty at the time so I only paid $100 of that plus tax. I can't afford a $500 labor charge right now, would a shop really do that, put in a faulty part then only cover putting in another?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
If the pump was replaced by an independent shop (not by Toyota) then Toyota basically has no responsibility. If it was replaced by a Toyota dealer then they should honor their 1-year warranty on the repair and replace it for no charge. Also Toyota has a supposedly improved pump listed as a replacement which should not have leaked.

If you had the Toyota Platinum extended VSA and it was still in effect when the pump originally went bad and the pump was replaced by a Toyota dealer, why did you need to pay anything for its replacement? It all - pump, labor, and tax - should have been covered by the plan and your cost should have been $0.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the pump was replaced by an independent shop (not by Toyota) then Toyota basically has no responsibility. If it was replaced by a Toyota dealer then they should honor their 1-year warranty on the repair and replace it for no charge. Also Toyota has a supposedly improved pump listed as a replacement which should not have leaked.

If you had the Toyota Platinum extended VSA and it was still in effect when the pump originally went bad and the pump was replaced by a Toyota dealer, why did you need to pay anything for its replacement? It all - pump, labor, and tax - should have been covered by the plan and your cost should have been $0.
My car has 130,000+ miles on it. There's no warranty left. I bought it with 97,000 miles on it and bought the extended warranty, which ran out at 127,000 miles. I could've bought another extended warranty, but I paid $1700 for mine and only wound up with about $800 in repairs being covered, so I lost a lot of money there. The extended warranties at my mileage are all around $2,000 a year which is totally not worth it unless something major happens. The part is an OEM part. So the warranty is on the part itself, but I would think even individual repair shops warranty the work they do.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
I had a water pump replaced December 12th by a shop with a pretty good reputation. Last night I noticed it's leaking everywhere and the car won't hold the coolant.
I doubt the new pump itself is leaking. Probably was an assembly error. Most shops will stand by their work to preserve their reputation. I'd give them that chance w/o pointing fingers.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had a water pump replaced December 12th by a shop with a pretty good reputation. Last night I noticed it's leaking everywhere and the car won't hold the coolant. My father thinks they'll replace the part for free since Toyota has a 1 year warranty, but that I'll be on the hook for the $500 in labor they originally charged. I had the extended warranty at the time so I only paid $100 of that plus tax. I can't afford a $500 labor charge right now, would a shop really do that, put in a faulty part then only cover putting in another?
If the shop supplied the part they should stand buy it for 6/12 months including labor.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Where I am (West Coast) reputable repair shops print the repair warranty on their receipts, or at least are required to have it posted conspicuously in plan view. If the shop which replaced the pump provided you with a one-year warranty, ordinarily that would cover both the pump itself and the cost of any labor required to replace the part and include securing (leak proofing) any other part which they had to remove, disconnect, or move while replacing the pump. If the leak isn't coming from the pump or the pump gasket or from some part which they may have had to move or remove while replacing your pump, you probably will be on the financial hook for the cost to repair that problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where I am (West Coast) reputable repair shops print the repair warranty on their receipts, or at least are required to have it posted conspicuously in plan view. If the shop which replaced the pump provided you with a one-year warranty, ordinarily that would cover both the pump itself and the cost of any labor required to replace the part and include securing (leak proofing) any other part which they had to remove, disconnect, or move while replacing the pump. If the leak isn't coming from the pump or the pump gasket or from some part which they may have had to move or remove while replacing your pump, you probably will be on the financial hook for the cost to repair that problem.
I just can't imagine what else that could be. Years ago we had a family mechanic who would fix all our cars but the oddest thing happened: every time we had work done something else would break. I stopped going to them for that reason. Hopefully these guys didn't do something shady. They have a pretty good reputation. I guess I'll find out in about 7 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts