Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Limited FWD
269 Posts
Sweet info, thanks guys for this. Anyone got a handy part# list they got saved for brake servicing (pads, rotors, shims etc.) in addition to what was posted above. Save some trouble finding it all.
Some people swear by OEM brakes only. In 40 years of doing my own brake jobs, I have always used after market and have never had a problem, but I do stick with well know, reputable after market brakes. I believe you can get better quality and less expensive brakes in the after market. Just don’t go for the cheapest you can find. There is a lot of crap out there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was at my dealer having my 30K oil change.
Normally I do most service myself but I just had some surgery so I took it to them.
Anyway they told me my brakes needed cleaned and lubed so I told them to go ahead.
They charged me $240 total for the front and back. I probably paid too much but I couldn't do it myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
They charged me $240 total for the front and back.
That is crazy expensive especially if you were to do it yearly as recommend by someone earlier here. Not too bad is every 2 years. Get well soon, it will save you some cash :)

I live in salt belt and do it every second year, and by the fourth year I am replacing the brakes so I do it as I put on the new ones. I also get my cars Krowned (under-oiled) and that stuff is horrible for soft rubber (causes it to swell and deform) anywhere on the car, but I never see any rust. In almost 20 years with Toyota ownership, I have never seen need to do pin lube annually. At the 18 month - 2 year mark the lube is still there and working and the pin boots are holding up great. I don't think I would go any longer than 2 years (40k km) as if those pins lock up you brakes wear out real fast.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,549 Posts
I do it when I notice issues. We are midwest and sorta rust belt. Sorta. My Fusions is making squeeks so I pulled it apart. The slider pins were a bit dry so I cleaned it all up and relubed. Still makes the noise but pad wear is even. So who knows.

However do NOT lube pad ears or where pad ears go. If the pads do not move smoothly then you need to address the bracket where they slide. If they hang up its most likely pad residue build up (clean obviously) and other times rust (sand down until they move smooth again).

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,549 Posts
I was at my dealer having my 30K oil change.
Normally I do most service myself but I just had some surgery so I took it to the.
Anyway they told me my brakes needed cleaned and lubed so I told them to go ahead.
They charged me $240 total for the front and back. I probably paid too much but I couldn't do it myself.
Did they offer a reach around too? Wow...240 for that? It takes about 30 minutes an axle with some beer. Putting it on a lift would make it way quicker. I understand the predicament but thats robbery for something that more often than not does not need to be done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, brake check every year - maybe every 3 years here. I drive gently and expect most braking is REGEN. No salt, no snow and not much water/rain. I expect the RAV4 Hybrid brakes to last 300,000kms at least. Prius taxis around town are going 800,000kms before replacing brakes.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have never done my rav4 yet, so are you all talking about actually pulling the pins and cleaning / lubing them? If I were going to go to the trouble of pulling the slide pins then you might as well put new pads on as well at that point - no? Labor is almost the same?

Some people swear by OEM brakes only. In 40 years of doing my own brake jobs, I have always used after market and have never had a problem, but I do stick with well know, reputable after market brakes. I believe you can get better quality and less expensive brakes in the after market. Just don’t go for the cheapest you can find. There is a lot of crap out there.
These people apparently don't realize no OEM makes their own brake pads. No OEM likely has since Henry was putting together model T's in Dearborn.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,549 Posts
The reason a lot of people probably swear by them is because when they did after market they used the cheapest possible. Like most items. Rotors being biggest component with a lot of Chinese manufactured crap out there. You want to make sure to use high gray iron. Cheap crap embeds pad transfer way faster (judder). So "OEM", while not made by xxx manufacturer, has a quality requirement to it.

So I can see why some do that because not much research was done on the products they purchased. I have used OEM once on my Fusion due to time. I even did it as a gasp pad slap. It behaved as expected. But I was traveling a lot and didnt have time for parts to arrive. All other times I have gone aftermarket and I do tend to be loyal to a specific brand that has performed as I have wanted.

That being said...put time into researching parts put on your vehicle so you dont HAVE to go back to the dealer to overpay for stuff. Tha being said find a mechanic that is also willing to let you bring your own parts. Chains usually will not allow it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's problem, you start looking for brake parts there is so much crap available to buy either through Amazon & physical stores. If I was going to be selling the vehicle say within a few months of doing new brakes I would be putting on the cheapest crap I could find which I did on my Honda Accord a few years back. As more & more brack manufactures move off shore to China how do you decide who is good & bad.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,549 Posts
That's problem, you start looking for brake parts there is so much crap available to buy either through Amazon & physical stores. If I was going to be selling the vehicle say within a few months of doing new brakes I would be putting on the cheapest crap I could find which I did on my Honda Accord a few years back. As more & more brack manufactures move off shore to China how do you decide who is good & bad.
I agree...car leaves my possession I don't care what goes on it.

However you are very correct. Its very hard to figure out "where" something originates from these days. If I cant figure it out, I move on. that means I have moved on from a few name brands because supply chain is a bit murky. And it also means I am probably paying more for my stuff than most people do. People see $$$ and immediately cringe. I do my own vehicle work so I can afford to spend more on parts.

It also goes to say be aware...just because it DOES cost $$$ doesnt mean its worth crap either....

·
Registered
2019 Rav4
1 Posts
I have never done my rav4 yet, so are you all talking about actually pulling the pins and cleaning / lubing them? If I were going to go to the trouble of pulling the slide pins then you might as well put new pads on as well at that point - no? Labor is almost the same?

These people apparently don't realize no OEM makes their own brake pads. No OEM likely has since Henry was putting together model T's in Dearborn.
Toyota OEM rotors not seem to be that great. Live by the Pacific Ocean. After 20K miles and 2.4 years, all rotors (and pads) being replaced. My ford car had similar OEM rotor problems. BMW and Ford van did not. Will be looking for a good aftermarket set of rotors for my wife's RAV4.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Rav4 LE AWD ,
20 Posts
I’ve never heard of lubing the brakes, why would anyone do that? Do you mean change the brake fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do lube the brakes , but only the pins and mounting hardware where pad contacts mount, other than that no lubing pad face ...

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 LE
3 Posts
I decided to service brakes before and after winter season. There are couple pictures of rear brakes on 2020 Corolla.
Brakes on the our 2020 RAV4 LE look a bit better.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts