Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, for those of you who have done a Muffler & Exhaust pipe change or Brakes changed, how long it took for the first one?
And also could you please state if you live in a warm climate or cold climate with snow and salted roads.

I probably have a few years to go on my OEM muffler and brakes but i would like to get some input. Also if anyone used non-OEM parts i would luv to hear how long they have lasted.

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miriam, my disks have usually bit the dust because of wear and rust on my last cars, so i guess you can state "just pads" or "pads and disks" :) The salt really rusts out bare metal parts that can't be rustproofed. :cry:

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Muffler and brake pad life would vary a great deal from car-to-car depending on some key factors. For brakes; important factors would be transmission, traffic & driving style. Exhaust & brakes: type of driving, sustained highway, stop & go traffic or short trips around town.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Muffler and brake pad life would vary a great deal from car-to-car depending on some key factors. For brakes; important factors would be transmission, traffic & driving style. Exhaust & brakes: type of driving, sustained highway, stop & go traffic or short trips around town.
Yes i know,
Some people I know don't anticipate red lights or just plain accelerate until they get to one and really hammer those brakes. :eek:
But I just want to get a general idea.

Walt :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi Walt
On my 4.1 the pads and rotors were replaced at about 100k kms (60k mi). Dealer did it with OEM parts and they squealed like crazy at low speed (parking lot) stops. Had it back twice and they finally found pads that didn't squeal.....no extra charge....can't complain!!!
The original 7.5 yr old shoes and drums and exhaust system (and battery) were still on it when I traded it in at 150k kms (90k mi), although the muffler was getting thin :roll: ....and trust me :lol: ...we got salt....road salt and sea salt....
Waiting to see if the 4.2 does as well, considering additional weight and all......although I admit, I don't brake as hard as I used to years ago......at least not in the RAV....... :wink:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bluenoser, that’s great to hear. :) If I remember correctly many of the things on our Chrysler were changed around every 40,000 km.
The OEM parts went quickly and the fact that we used to use a cheep mechanic with cheep parts it continued that way.
But not for the RAV. She gets only the best. :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
(Thread resurrection!)

First front set of brake pads replaced at 31,000 miles,
Replaced second set of front pads and front discs after 65,000 miles.

The rear pads and discs are still the original OEM.

Im guessing this is normal to have to replace the fronts more times compared to the rear, due to the weight distribution when braking. Guestimate my next front change wont occur till around the 95K mile marker.

·
Registered
986 Posts
117,000+ miles currently. Live in NH where there is plenty of salt used on the roads during the winter.

- Exhaust is original except for the header and cat that were replaced around 40k miles under warranty due to the notorious emissions problem.

- Front pads at 60k and again at 100k miles, front rotors at 100k miles, rear shoes and drums are still original. Only reason I changed the front pads again at 100k was because I changed the rotors due to wear and excessive rust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts