Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father gave me his 08 RAV4 w/only 28K miles on it. I have put 4K miles on it. I had rec'd a recall notice & mt RAV4 needed an oil change. The dealer-chiseler here in Jacksonville, FL I went to yesterday. Claimed the front brakes were down to 3 mm and should be fixed. 32K miles is low miles to need brakes. Toyotas I have have had, the brakes went 100K miles. Is there anyway to tell if the front pads are really that worn? I will have to see it to believe it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I changed my front pads at 36K miles. FYI, these are mostly stop and go city miles. The dealership kept telling me about it at every oil change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
My father gave me his 08 RAV4 w/only 28K miles on it. I have put 4K miles on it. I had rec'd a recall notice & mt RAV4 needed an oil change. The dealer-chiseler here in Jacksonville, FL I went to yesterday. Claimed the front brakes were down to 3 mm and should be fixed. 32K miles is low miles to need brakes. Toyotas I have have had, the brakes went 100K miles. Is there anyway to tell if the front pads are really that worn? I will have to see it to believe it.
If you're able to (safely) jack up either front side of your RAV, remove the wheel and you'll be able to see the thickness of the brake pad. A rule of thumb is if the thickness of the pad material is about the same as the metal plate that the pad is attached to, you should change them.
Otherwise, just go to a local shop and ask for their opinion.
Brake life is pretty much dependent upon both your driving style and the type of driving you do.....mostly local=short life, mostly highway=longer life.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
45K on our RAV and the pads still have a lot of life. But we do easy miles with easy braking. I check mine twice a year each time I swap out seasonal wheels and tires.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just had my Rav in for state inspection, at 40k miles. The mechanic said I had 3mm in front, I let him do the job as long as the car was there anyway. The backs had 5mm so they can wait.

It was a Firestone shop. They use Raybestos ceramic pads. Normal price, without doing anything to the rotors is $185, but there was a $60 coupon so the job only cost $125.

I was happy. Maybe this summer I'll try doing the rears myself. I've done this stuff before, but arthritic knees make it a painful experience.

R

·
0 Posts
..... ahhhhh is it normal in these rav4 to have a grinding sound at occasional breaking at 3,000 miles?!!!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Only if you let your rotors rust, say, you leave the rav in the rain for week or snow without driving.
Otherwise it should not be grinding.
Even an overnight rain will cause my RAV to grind for the first 1 or 2 stops in the morning. After that, smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With a wheel off look for even pad thickness, rule of thumb is 1/8" of pad left, replace them. I use EBC Sport rotors with the Green stuff pads. Lasts a looong time. With EBC sport rotors, simply replace the pads (Max 2 pad changes per rotor). You can't and no need to machine them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If your brakes are at 3mm, then I would change them in another 6 months or so. It's not alot of miles for the brakes to need to be changed, but if the calipers weren't serviced often, then they might be sticky and causing excessive wear. Take a tire off and look at your brakes. A sign that the calipers are sticking a little is if the inner pad is worn quite a bit more than the outer pad. Brakes are cheap and easy to replace. Make sure you clean and lubricate your slider pins when you change the pads.

S

·
0 Posts
Yep on the brake noise....get it at first drive in a.m. or after it has sat couple days....
sounds like grinding but just rubbing, my is mostly from rears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts