Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 RAV4 with 90k. I am looking for info on the durability and longevity of this model. I enjoy my car and with the gas prices etc. I want to keep her but if this model shows problems the older it gets I am not sure I want to take the chance.
I do regular maintenance but not mechanical.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solas,
I'm of the mindset that if you maintain most things they will continue to work for you. Our RAV turned over 115k recently and is still running well.

However, there have been some things that have needed attention recently...the exhaust fell off in the usual spot, just aft of the forward hanger, necessitating a replalement TWC and pipe...I put new brakes on in the spring and we did the timing belt/water pump thing a little earlier...around 75k.

She's starting to consume a little more oil now, just have to keep an eye on that.

Before winter I want to change out the coolant, but I think that's all that this vehicle needs.

I'd say keep up on the maintenance and she'll treat you right.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Re: How long do RAV4's last

Solas said:
I have a 98 RAV4 with 90k. I am looking for info on the durability and longevity of this model. I enjoy my car and with the gas prices etc. I want to keep her but if this model shows problems the older it gets I am not sure I want to take the chance.
I do regular maintenance but not mechanical.
Without a doubt, it depends how good you have taken care if it, it will take care of you. :wink:

·
Registered
176 Posts
My '98 has close to 280,000 on it and my 2000 just turned over 144,500 today. so if taken care of they last a while.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MY 97 HAS 140000 MILES AND A BAD TRANSMISSION AND IS STILL RUNNING WELL ENOUGH. IT USES A LITTLE OIL, STARTS WITH A BLUE CLOUD THAT DISAPATES QUICKLY AND THATS THE END OF THE SMOKE. I EXPECT 200,000 MILES IF THE TRANNY HOLDS UP. BEING THAT THE FLUID WAS WAYYYYYYY TOO LOW ITS MY FAULT BUT SINCE IT IS UNDERPOWERED, IT MAY BE ANOTHER 20000 MILES BEFORE THE TRANS SHAFT TELLS ME THE TIME IS UP. A GREAT RUNNING CAR, I TAKE IT OFF ROAD FOR WORK AND IT IS A CHAMP. HIT TWICE IN THE READ AND HELD UP. THE THIRD TIME CRUSHED THE READ DOOR, SAD BUT FIXED. I WISH I COULD SO BACK IN TIME AND BUY A NEW 1999 RAV4. WHERE IS A TIME MACHING WHEN YOU NEED ONE?
PEACE,
JEFF

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got a transmission put into my 1996 Rav4 at 144,000 miles. I found out at the dealership there is a service bulletin out for this car. It was jumping out of 5th gear. Unfortunately, they said this fix is very expensive. I chose to replace the transmission with one with 102,000 miles on it. I plan to write to Toyota. I was a honda owner previously, and did not have near the problems I've had with this car. I thought Toyota's were comparable to Honda, but now I wonder.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dear replaced trans,
how much did you pay for the used trans and how much to install it. also, what city and state are you in? i really like the size and shape of the old rav4's far more than the new ones. i think, the new ones are designed to be pleasing to the female mind. if you asked me what a good look for a 4 wheel was, i think that the 193 ford bronco was the classic.
peace,
i did not mean to offen the women out there, i just think that they are looking for a less rugged look and feel. since women are buying half the cars it is easy to see why car dealers are leaning toward comfort and ease. the old pickup trucks were trucks. my 1977 ford pickup is a truck, my 2001 f-150 is a couch on wheels.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paid $540 for transmission, $625 to install, $370 for new clutch and install. Total $1535.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dear montana,
thats a lot to put into an older car with a lot of miles but not as much as i thought. last christmas, i got rearended and that ran a bill of 2700, more than the car was worth, plus an 800 dollar rental fee, all of these costs were paid by the person who tried to enter my car through the rear door. had i known i was having transmission problems, i would have taken the money and run to the dealer for a new one. i like the old styling. i'm getting a new vehicle before the end of this year and letting an employee use the rav till it dies.
peace,
QJ

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recently bought a 97 RAV4(A/T) 90K on it and everthing that needed attention was NOT done except for oil changes. Heres a partial list, Transmission overfilled, Radiator hoses collapsed along with chocolate color radiator fluid,spongy brakes,rear shocks shot,oil from dipstick was "sludgy",battery died,noise at the rear,plugs fouled etc and yet I was able to drive this mess almost a hundred miles to my home with no problems. I gotta say Toyota makes good cars( my last one was a 89 Corolla with 250k on it with the original water pump and alternator in it) Traded it in a few ago. With a little TLC I hope I can keep my RAV4 for a long time!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hmmmmmmm....there seems to be a trend here. I recently bought a 1999 Rav4 with 74,000 miles on the clock. I changed the water pump and timing belt, flushed the radiator (horrible brown coolant), changed the transmission fluid (black-ish) and needed to replace the rear (leaking) shocks. I keep reading that people need to replace the rear shocks around the 70-90 thousand mile mark.

Interesting to hear about noise from the rear. I have that and assume that it is just uneven tyre wear or that it is because it is a 4x4.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
ian g said:
Hmmmmmmm....there seems to be a trend here. I recently bought a 1999 RAV4 with 74,000 miles on the clock. I changed the water pump and timing belt, flushed the radiator (horrible brown coolant), changed the transmission fluid (black-ish) and needed to replace the rear (leaking) shocks. I keep reading that people need to replace the rear shocks around the 70-90 thousand mile mark.

Interesting to hear about noise from the rear. I have that and assume that it is just uneven tyre wear or that it is because it is a 4x4.
In your case, looks like you got a RAV4 that it previous owner didn't give a hoot about maintenance. And it still was running. Regarding the rear shocks. RAV4 always need premium shocks in the rear. I'm talking in the category of Koni, Bilstein, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Stelly said:
My '98 has close to 280,000 on it and my 2000 just turned over 144,500 today. so if taken care of they last a while.
WOW. Just WOW. :shock:

So does Toyota make an a great RAV or what!! 8)

I wonder what the highest mileage RAV4 is out there...?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just checked my plug wires....it says 1998 on them! Could this be the date? I'd better change my spark plugs and plug wires. Any tips?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 103,000 and never even changed the oil since I bought it with about 38,000. I do however, have to add oil periodically.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think RAV-4 are long lasting vehicules.

Ours 1997 has only 100000Km (63000Miles) and it's clean and works very well.

The engine oil is changed at every 5000Km, the cooling fluid every two years even as other fluids.

I wash it almost every week to keep it clean, particulary in winter, to remove road salt.

The father of my wife has a Kia Sportage 2000 ( :roll: ) who seems to have 5 fives older than our RAV-4, with the same millage.

·
Registered
122 Posts
mensajero said:
So, it's mine for life.
I think that will be same thing here.

Our RAV is more my wife's RAV and she plans to keep it until it dies.

And that does not seem to be soon!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trends? my 99 L, the water pumped literally blew up, taking the timing belt with it, at 78000. It was on our first road trip with our new used Rav, we did buy the warranty and recovered half the cost of it right there. The trans required regular sevice at 100k, and the cruise control button wont stay in place. We love the car , they keep trying to get us to upgrade to a newer one, but I love the tough looks of 99.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts