Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

So, my eldest child is looking at a 2017 RAV XLE. It was built on 10-5-16 and was on the Dealer Lot 11-1-16. So, it's been sitting there for over 4 months. It has 14 miles. Looks like it was prepped for delivery on 11-6-16, however the deal fell through. My understanding was due to financial inability. So, they are offering a killer price plus the $1,750 cash back.

Are there any concerns with a RAV that has been sitting on a lot that long? He says it looks and drives perfectly. I told him I would post here to see what people say. They have newer ones, but won't deal as much as they are not paying interest on them yet on the lot.

Opinions please. :smile

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I would only be worried about rusted brakes, if the discs look good, I would not be worried.

Reactions: Glideslope

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Check the tire pressure. They may have kept it on the high side, which would be a good thing to prevent a slight flat spot while sitting. If so, lower it to operating pressure and give it a long test drive at max freeway speed to make sure any out-of-round condition is worked out.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,087 Posts
The 12v battery is the main concern. Assume it needs a good charge. If the dimwitted dealer let the battery go completely dead at some point, the life of the battery may be diminished.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Like mentioned aboved, rusted brake rotor and flat spot on the tires.
Good call on the battery, rdgrimes. I did not think of that.

If the paint is not smooth to the hand, get it clay-barred; I would not let the dealer do this as they may scratch the paint.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Very good call on the battery especially since the OEM batteries are complete garbage. The dealer replacements are even worse.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
The only actually useful method about drivability is to find out is to take a test drive. About batteries, since Toyota changed from using Furukawa batteries as OEM on earlier 4.3's and began manufacturing RAV4s in Canada and switched to using Johnson Controls batteries battery reliability seems to be better, although they don't seem to do well in the U.S. South. My OEM Johnson Controls in my '11 RAV still tests at 525 CCAs. But if a dealer leaves a vehicle for four months without charging the battery, as others have mentioned battery longevity may be impacted. To find out, the battery should be checked by using a load test.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
About the brakes - I parked my 2011 for over a year and of course the discs rusted up, but just backing out of the driveway and driving in town for several blocks cleaned 'em all up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You should be fine. Just check everything over like you should on any vehicle before buying. Take it for a good test drive and go from there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In 2004 I bought a Mitsubishi Galant that had been built a year before and I kept for 13 years and there were no problems with rust or the battery. I just picked up a 2017 Sonata this month that was built in Aug-2016 and it did not have any problems or rust.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 19900 miles

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wouldn't worry much, you are buying a new car regardless how long it has been on the lot, regardless you are still covered with the warranty. If the incentives are too good to pass on, I wouldn't think it twice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Our '16 Hybrid was manufactured in Japan in May of '16 and it sat on the lot until we bought it in late September of '16 with 197 miles on it when we bought it. We've put 12k miles on it so far and haven't had a single issue with it.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. He picks it up tomorrow. Anyway, his first Toyota. I know he will enjoy it. :smile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts