Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did it take you guys in the USA to find your 2-door Rav4? Months? Years? I have a 2000 4-door but am trying to find a 2door. My search yielded only 2 and one of them is in very bad condition. I see that most are in the northeast or northwest regions. I prefer 4 wheel drive but at the rate it's going it looks like that's an impossible task. At this point I don't care what color it is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way I live in north Texas. I don't know how common or uncommon these ravs are here.

·
Registered
412 Posts
How long did it take you guys in the USA to find your 2-door Rav4? Months? Years? I have a 2000 4-door but am trying to find a 2door. My search yielded only 2 and one of them is in very bad condition. I see that most are in the northeast or northwest regions. I prefer 4 wheel drive but at the rate it's going it looks like that's an impossible task. At this point I don't care what color it is.
I wanted a 4 door with locker with fender flares and 4wd. It took me two months.

In your case I would just buy and restore or just wait.
Where are you looking?
EBAY and Autotrader and cars.com are good.

Toyota RAV4 Base Sport Utility 2 Door | eBay

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking at edmunds.com, cars.com, carfax.com, autotrader.com, Cargurus.com, ebay, craigslist, just to list a few sites. I've seen the two ebay ones already and they are really too far from me. The one local to me had lots of broke interior pieces and damaged bumpers and broken window seals (that black strip between the door and window). Seeing as how parts are really hard to find I don't think that car was worth it since it was really neglected and there's just way too many pieces to replace.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wouldn't even begin looking for an early Gen1 RAV4 / here in the Ontario, Canada rust belt.
- took me 6 months last summer, to find a pristine Gen3 RAV4 Limited v6
My dealer friend found me a mint Gen3 4Runner SR5, v6, recently / once in a lifetime purchase.
- now wife and I both drive nice Toyota's

^^ Gen1, Gen2, Gen3...I'm more flexible, and buy the best one around, for the money.
(fully maintained, affordable & very clean)

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Griffin Auto in Arvada Co (griffinauto.org) has a 1997 2 door manual shift with 86,585 miles on it; a front-wheel drive. It looks to be in good shape. This is where I bought mine. Mine is front-wheel drive as well and does reasonably well in Colorado Winters. It is not my Winter driving car, however. This car has been at the dealer for at least 3 months as they know what they have and are asking $7500 for it. Ouch. Look on their web site. They know these are rare cars and take advantage of it. They did not budge on the price of mine but I did NOT pay $7500! Oh, yeah: we had been looking for about a year and just happened by the dealer as we were going up skiing one day last year. They had JUST gotten it in. It's run by a family and the father usually asks a higher price. You MIGHT be able to deal with them as it's been there a while. Nice folks, however.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I saw that one but that price is way way way too high. I actually found two near me but they were snatched up quick. One was for $1800 and the other was $2300.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice one...but...sadly most of the ones being sold are all really far from me. Looking for Ravs in Texas or neighboring states. I do search nationwide though just to see what's out there.

There's this one that popped up a few days ago near me. However, I have my heart set on a soft top and any color will do. Heck, I'll even take a 2wd.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5564360326.html

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice one...but...sadly most of the ones being sold are all really far from me. Looking for Ravs in Texas or neighboring states. I do search nationwide though just to see what's out there.

There's this one that popped up a few days ago near me. However, I have my heart set on a soft top and any color will do. Heck, I'll even take a 2wd.

In the last 15 years I have had a lot of cars I bought and sold. None less than 8 hours away. I had to get what I wanted.
Flew one way to Dallas from Bowling Green, KY for my $3500 RAV4 with 160k miles. Drove it back 13 hours.

Gotta do it man !!! :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
In the last 15 years I have had a lot of cars I bought and sold. None less than 8 hours away. I had to get what I wanted.
Flew one way to Dallas from Bowling Green, KY for my $3500 RAV4 with 160k miles. Drove it back 13 hours.

Sacrifice.....Right. The last thing manna fell from heaven was in the days of moses :wink

·
Registered
193 Posts

I wouldn't go for a soft top. I have one and I have to babysit it because there are no replacements or if you get one, prohibitively expensive. I had a red tin top before but was wrecked. If I were you I would go for that one. These things are becoming rare...Just saying.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yea I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

I wouldn't go for a soft top. I have one and I have to babysit it because there are no replacements or if you get one, prohibitively expensive. I had a red tin top before but was wrecked. If I were you I would go for that one. These things are becoming rare...Just saying.
I know the soft top is gonna be a pain in the wallet because of the rear cover but, to me it's worth it. I will baby it, restore and keep it as mint as possible and keep it in the garage. However, if I do run across a tin top, 4WD, close to me and at reasonable price then I will get that instead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know the soft top is gonna be a pain in the wallet because of the rear cover but, to me it's worth it. I will baby it, restore and keep it as mint as possible and keep it in the garage. However, if I do run across a tin top, 4WD, close to me and at reasonable price then I will get that instead.
I have to agree with RAVRACER, get a tin top. I restored my soft top and it looks great. Replaced the velcro, had tinted plastic installed, etc. That was some time ago and I haven't removed the top since then. The real problem with the soft top isn't the cover, plastic windows, or side panels, it's the seals. You can't get them anymore or they're super hard to find. I know because I bought replacements for those I could get. As for how hard the 2-door's are to get, I live in California's Central Valley. I bought my first one out of Washington (I wrecked it). My second came from San Diego (gave it to my son). And my current one came from the other side of town. I actually bought the first one from a dealer site unseen and had it shipped - talk about a leap of faith! But it was the top model with power everything (doors, locks, windows, mirrors), cruise control, and in near mint condition. Good luck!

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. I wonder how much that car as a whole would be. Curious why it's in a junk yard.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why are people getting rid of good gen1s? (see one below)
I guess they are getting sick of them. Their value isn't much so people just give them to to the junkyards while in running condition. Junkyard probably pays them more for parts sake than a person on the street would.

My RAV4 gen1 is rarer than my FJ crusier. LOL.
Only 170 some were on sale when I checked this morning.

Engine 98 99 00 Toyota RAV4 2 0L Vin P 5th Digit 3SFE 4x4 Calif 1533260 | eBay

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow it almost makes sense to buy a complete car for parts than to buy parts individually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I paid $2000 for my 2 door FWD in blue last year. Circumstances have changed and I probably need to sell it on. However, I have spent about $1500 tidying it up (big dent in the rear) new brakes, oil leak etc. I think that has put it out of a reasonable selling price if I asked what I paid ie $3500. Any thoughts on value? what should I ask?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts