Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my second one used two weeks ago. This one has the V6 and every option. It's also got 98,000 miles on it. I love it. I'm curious though if I took care of it would it last to say 300,000 miles? I had a 95 Mazda Protege that made it to 287,000. It still ran fine when I got rid of it. And at some point would it be worth swapping the engine? I don't like the new Rav4 as much, a lot less storage space inside and no V6. I suppose I could eventually get the Highlander, but I'm not sure that'd ever be peppy enough for me. This car is ridiculously fast for an SUV. Not X5 fast, but probably X3 fast. I'm just curious of the shelf life of this car. Could it make it to 500,000?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't see why it couldn't last forever if you perform routine mAintenance and repairs. Eventually you will run into the issue of diminishing returns. Parts and repairs will cost more than the vehicle is worth at some point. I love the utility of my rav4. It's beginning to show some Sun rot on the window weather stripping and rubber window scrapers. They are not cheap to replace, but I am planning on keeping it for my 6 year old daughter's first car. So i just keep fixing things myself as they wear out.

I am currently at 140000 miles on the 2az-fe 4 cylinder and luckily have no oil consumption issues so i don't see any issues going to 250000 or 300000 miles at this point.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the 2014 Highlander specs and design that might actually be my upgrade path. I don't know. My wife wants the Santa Fe or Tuscon, both get good reviews but i like Toyota. She can get one of those and maybe I'll do the Highlander. I might be able to afford a used one. It'd have to be with the V6, awd, and a sunroof. Those are really my only requirements. I can add everything else myself. But those things used are like $35,000.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My experience with cars is that 200K is a good end of life point for a car. Sure They can go for longer but at what cost. I have an old Z that has just over 200K. But that car was abused its whole life, and at 150 it felt like it had more than 200. It it not just the major components that fail: engine, trans... It is the minor ones that you don't think of: window track guide, AC control knob, cabin temperature sensor. I am sure if you are willing to keep fixing/paying, you can drive the thing forever.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Asking how long a RAV4 will last has the same uncertainty as asking how long you will live.
Buy and maintain it, and live healthy and forget about things out of your control.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Mazda I had with 287,000 miles was on the original clutch and timing belt. It was beat to **** thanks to the previous owners, but the only mechanical issue it had was a slightly loose steering wheel and a hole in the muffler. I never bothered to fix either. I had a blowout doing 80 on the highway and instead of getting a new tire I bought a new 2008 WRX. LOL

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
I think how long your RAV will last has a lot to do with how it was treated and maintained for those first 98,000 miles. Go to Toyota Owners Official Web Site:
and register with your VIN. You can then look at the service history--anything that was done at a Toyota dealership will be listed.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
My experience with cars is that 200K is a good end of life point for a car. Sure They can go for longer but at what cost. I have an old Z that has just over 200K. But that car was abused its whole life, and at 150 it felt like it had more than 200. It it not just the major components that fail: engine, trans... It is the minor ones that you don't think of: window track guide, AC control knob, cabin temperature sensor. I am sure if you are willing to keep fixing/paying, you can drive the thing forever.
Fully agree.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks June, I'll do that l. I never got the carfax on this car but farfax lied about my last car anyway so i don't trust them, but maybe it was registered at the toyota site. Going to get a "tune-up" soon just in case, and do a few performance mods like CAI and possibly different map if the Cobb AP can map it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bought my second one used two weeks ago. This one has the V6 and every option. It's also got 98,000 miles on it. I love it. I'm curious though if I took care of it would it last to say 300,000 miles? I had a 95 Mazda Protege that made it to 287,000. It still ran fine when I got rid of it. And at some point would it be worth swapping the engine? I don't like the new Rav4 as much, a lot less storage space inside and no V6. I suppose I could eventually get the Highlander, but I'm not sure that'd ever be peppy enough for me. This car is ridiculously fast for an SUV. Not X5 fast, but probably X3 fast. I'm just curious of the shelf life of this car. Could it make it to 500,000?
I traded an M-Sport X3 for a RAV. The V6 RAV is wicked fast, >:D faster than the X3 (and the X5 with the same engine but more weight). I expect to get at least 200K miles with proper maintenance because the RAV has a big motor and is under-stressed with the comparatively light weight. But, I only have 47K on mine so I'll defer to the experience of others with more mileage.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Rav4 is probably better off road than an X5, though. I don't think BMW makes them for much more than an inch of snow.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Rav4 is nowhere near as fast as an X5. The new X5 does 60 in like 4.9 seconds.
The 2011 CR lists the following 0-60 times: RAV V6...6.7 sec.; X5..........8.6 sec
The 2015 CR lists the 0-60 time for the X5 at:..........7.4 sec.

But it's possible that I misread the figures what with my old eyes.:confused: And maybe you're referring to an X5 with four or five turbos. Supercharged perhaps? If so please forgive me. I stand corrected.

And let's not even begin a discussion about how many miles can be expected from a BMW. A dear friend of mine who retired from BMW has had a new car (built to his specifications) every three months or so for the past 20 years as part of BMW's employee lease program. His current ride is a six-speed, M3. He knows BMWs. To quote him, "BMWs are 50K mile cars."

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the performance of the x5 depends on the engine...the "M" X5 has over 550hp and does 0-60 in 4 seconds or so...the 255hp diesel does 0-60 in just over 7 seconds...all depends on the motor...

·
Registered
207 Posts
the performance of the x5 depends on the engine...the "M" X5 has over 550hp and does 0-60 in 4 seconds or so...the 255hp diesel does 0-60 in just over 7 seconds...all depends on the motor...
Aha! Yes, it does depend on the motor. I stand corrected. Thank you. So, since we started out here with a question about mileage/long-term durability, how about for the M X5 we say it's a 40K mile car? Oh, and what does such a quick car cost? As I'm sure you will agree rav4system, I'll take a V6 RAV any day, thank you very much.:D

PS Sorry for my cynical anti-BMW rant. I really am trying to forget about BMWs and enjoy the quickness and dependability of the RAV.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Aha! Yes, it does depend on the motor. I stand corrected. Thank you. So, since we started out here with a question about mileage/long-term durability, how about for the M X5 we say it's a 40K mile car? Oh, and what does such a quick car cost? As I'm sure you will agree rav4system, I'll take a V6 RAV any day, thank you very much.:D

PS Sorry for my cynical anti-BMW rant. I really am trying to forget about BMWs and enjoy the quickness and dependability of the RAV.
i think the X5 M goes for about 100K lol...i like the X5 and did look into buying one but im big on value and the X5 doesnt come close...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ours is at the 170k km mark. It is starting to slowly show its age but still runs and not many issues. Just last month the alternator had to be replaced. so we put in an aftermarket one. Our plan is to keep this as our main for another year/ year and a half then use it as a second vehicle since we owe nothing on it since day one and it is still running fine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's awesome. I plan on taking good care of this car. I like it more than the WRX I had. I have a 2012 Ford Focus also which my wife is now driving. She's going to get a Santa Fe or Tuscon when we pay it off and when I pay off the Rav I'll either keep it or upgrade to the 2014 Highlander.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our 2008 Rav 4 with the I4 has a 155xxx miles and running well. I do have to keep an eye on the oil. It passed the Toyota oil consumption test though it goes through a quart about 200 miles. Runs great, no rust even when exposed to Cleveland winters. Best vehicle I have ever owned. I expect to easily get 200k+ miles on it.

Like others have written, a lot depends on how you car for it and drive it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts