Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Would you buy another Rav?

• No, my Rav has been great, but I like to venture out (maybe even a different class market).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I love the Rav b/c of my past experiences.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 and I still love it. I made the last payment on it and now it's officially mine. I love the Rav, but I don't plan on buying another one. I think the new Rav is great (V6) , but I'm done with Ravs. I like to experience new things and in this case, new vehicles therefore I will not be buying the 06.

So if money was not an issue, would you buy another Rav?

M

·
0 Posts
I love the Rav i have, so does my better half, i see they will not be building a 3 door version, and as i have no need for the 5door, i will stay with what i have got. if they do make a 3 door in the new version i will be first in the Q.................

S

·
0 Posts
I love my 02, and have always said that it is just about the perfect vehicle for my families lifestyle. I decided not to get a highlander last year because it was too big for my tastes, and the redesign puts the new Rav in that same category for me. I will hang on to what I have, and see what the market has to offer in the next few years. Best of luck to all the people who get the 06, I hope it serves you as well as mine has served me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Had to vote no

New RAV is a down-grade compared to my 4.2 because of leg room. I cannot sit in the new RAV. Since I can't buy a new RAV, then I have to stray away from RAV's eventually to a different vehicle. I had to do the same thing when toyota blew the front leg room in the '97-'01 Camry. I had a 94, couldn't sit in the '97. The '02-'06 Camry fits me, wonder how the new '07 will sit for tall guys.....................

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Re: Had to vote no

JW said:
New RAV is a down-grade compared to my 4.2 because of leg room. I cannot sit in the new RAV.
Did you try adjusting the seat in the 2006 RAV4? You know it also goes UP and DOWN :? :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Highlander next. I will keep my RAV for as long as it is running. My girls will be driving soon. :cry:

M.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I love my '02 and it has the perfect size for me. Anything bigger than that, it's too big for me. I'm the only one who drives that car, and i'm mostly alone in it. Sometimes i drive my bf around and the occassional (very seldom) family night out, but 99% of the time i'm by myself. The '06 looks fine and yeah it might've improved performance wise compared to mine, but i still love the looks of mine; it's very unique and that makes me stand out especially because there are barely green ones around ;).

If i decide to get another car, i might probably go somewhere else (don't know where yet) because i don't need the extra 14" :(.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would have been enticed to buy the 4.3 if it weren't for the styling change, especially at the back. It looks weird to me, the lines don't look right. It's probably just me. 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To me, it's really boring to drive the same model, even if it's a redesign like the 4.3. It's like "The Rav, been there, done that" kind of a feeling. Other 4 doors I could possilbe shop for next: Pathfinder, Ridgeline, Frontier, and especailly the new FJ Cruiser!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quite happy with our Gen2 Rav. We would have considered the 06Rav, if we were just buying a Rav now, but since we already have the Gen2 Rav and are satisfied with it, there's no real overwhelming need for us to change it to the 06 Rav.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm happy with my -05 Rav4

the price difference to the new one is to big

I'm also more confident with the "real" 4wd system on my car, instead of the new system which as I understand is more a fwd, and 4wd when needed.

N

X

·
0 Posts
I test drove the new Rav4 last Saturday & was not impressed. I`m 6`4" & there is not enough room in the front or back. They seem to have lenghtened it in the boot area. I do not like the new shape or the notchy gear box, having done the extras to mine I will not be changing to the new Rav either.

·
Registered
191 Posts
2 mainstream

While waiting for service at Toyota. I was able to get a closer look and feel for the new RAV4. Yep, took a little test drive. Even though there's (lots to like) about the new RAV4. The 4.3 had no real advantage for my needs over the 4.2.

I really didn't feel a huge difference in power. With the added size and 400lbs plus. I felt the extra 5-hp on the 2.4L was a wash or at worse even a loss. The sheer size of the new RAV even took away some of the sporty handling feel.

With only a slight loss in mpg ratings and an increase of 103 hp. The clear choice is to wait for the V6. I'm not sure why anyone would want the 2.4L in a SUV of this size. I think the front end looks great. The sides look fine. But the rear quarter panel is polarizing and at certain angles it just looks 'whacked'

I know Toyota and Scion are on the same team, but come on now. Do you have to steal the styling cues from the rear end of the cheapest car in the line up - xA. You especially see the resemblance on the RAV-X with no piggy back spare.

The 4.2 is a great vehicle and I plan to keep it in the family for a few more years. And when I have the need for speed, more room and luxury. I just take out my other RIDE.

The new 2006 RAV4 has gone to mainstream for me.

Ravon 8)
(Ray von)

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Observation...

Took notice on recent 4.3 posts about mod's to the 2.4L.

"The clear choice is to wait for the V6. I'm not sure why anyone would want the 2.4L in a SUV of this size"

Just 'DRIVES' my point home :!:

Ravon :twisted:
(Ray von)

R

·
0 Posts
The universal reason the 4.2 RAV appeals to anybody is that it is cute and/or stylish (depending on your gender). The 4.3 RAV has none of that for a 4.2 fan. My desire is the Toyota FJ Cruiser that is very stylish and is coming out this year. It's a natural upgrade for a 4.2 fan that wants a V6 and it will be similar in price to the RAV. Plus, like one post said "you want a different vehicle each time." You will get noticed in an FJ Cruiser like you once did in the 4.2 RAV.

O

·
0 Posts
There is no possible way I would get a 4.3. I just bought a 4.2 b/c the 4.3 came out. My wife and I wanted the 4.2 and were worried about not being able to get one since the new model came out.

The 4.3 is way too large and ugly too! Instead we bought a used 4.2 with only 25k km on it. Just like buying a new car just $6k cheaper...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried the new RAV 4,3 (2,4 litre engine) both the manual and the automatic recently at the dealer and this is what I have to say.
I may be accused of giving a very subjective view but I did try to be objective by doing a A-B-A type test. I drive a RAV 4,2 (2002 year with a 2 litre engine, 4WD) normally.

The new RAV does not have quite the good road stability (road handling) of the older RAV. It seemed to sway more on the road. The brakes are woolly and the brake assist is poor. Engine is noisy. This was surprising because the road surface noise was less (better insulation, but why the higher engine noise? 2lit vs 2,4 lit?)

The thing that was good about the new RAV was that it was bigger, more space, more gimmicks, smoother ride (swallowed the bumps better), no increase in price here in Sweden inspite of the new model with the bigger engine. It seems to have less fuel consumption looking at the average fuel consumption figures.

Summarizing it I would say that I love my old RAV for its sheer drivability and road handling and in that sense the new RAV can not match the old RAV, unfortunately (IMHO). I'll stick with my till Toyota decides to reintroduce a new RAV model with permanent 4 wheel drive because that is where all the road stability (and the driving pleasure) is.
Raj.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts