Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How many alloy wheels does your RAV4 have?

• 4 alloys

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 alloys

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 RAV4 L after having a careless driver total my '97 on me. When I took the spare tire cover off, I was surprised to find a steel wheel instead of the matching Bradley alloy wheel that I had expected. My '97 came from the factory with 5 alloys, and 99.99% of the used RAV's with alloys I looked at were equipped the same way.

I was under the impression that any AWD RAV4 ordered with alloys got 5 of them. Am I wrong about that? I've got the window sticker from my '97 and it clearly says "Alloy Wheels (5)", so did Toyota change the way they did things between '97 and '00?

Anyone out there with a 2000 "L" that can help me with this one? Is there a 2000 window sticker or sales brochure lying around that can maybe shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
881 Posts
RAVanti said:
I just bought a 2000 RAV4 L after having a careless driver total my '97 on me. When I took the spare tire cover off, I was surprised to find a steel wheel instead of the matching alloy wheel that I had expected. My '97 came from the factory with 5 alloys, and 99.99% of the used RAV's with alloys I looked at were equipped the same way.

I was under the impression that any AWD RAV4 ordered with alloys got 5 of them. Am I wrong about that? I've got the window sticker from my '97 and it clearly says "Alloy Wheels (5)", so did Toyota change the way they did things between '97 and '00?

Anyone out there with a 2000 "L" that can help me with this one? Is there a 2000 window sticker or sales brochure lying around that can maybe shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Bill
The only light I can shed on it is that someone took the wheel off, probably the dealer, either to sell or replace a damaged one.

I bought aftermarket alloys for mine, I only bought 4 but I soon gave in and bought the 5th one. It's a lot less weight on the back and looks much better than the cover. I rationalized the $125 tire and $150 rim on the back by saying to myself that at least I only have to buy 3 tires next time :)

S

·
0 Posts
My '98 came with 4 alloys when my 'rents bought it used. Not sure what it came with orginally. The 5th is not the same size as the 4 alloys. When I buy some rims I am going to do all 5 to make a matching set, with 5 matching tires (Dunlop All-Seasons, can't remember exact tire name, works great).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking - that someone (either the dealer or a previous owner) glommed the 5th alloy.

I called Toyota's customer service center and got some more information, but it's not conclusive. They were able to tell me that a 2000 RAV4 with the 3-spoke rims would have come with 5 wheels, but they weren't able to tell me whether or not the same would hold true for the 5-spoke Bradley alloys that were part of the "L" Special Edition package.

I put OEM wheel locks on the car since it didn't have any. I'm not at all happy with the way the alloy lug nuts fit on the steel spare. I don't think it would be safe to use the spare with those lug nuts, so I guess I've got to pick up some "regular" ones.

Bill

·
Registered
682 Posts
My 1996 RAV4 came with 5 alloys from the factory. When i got aftermarket Ford alloys for my RAV4 i sold all 5 Toyota alloys. I also got a Ford steel rim to run as the spare. As getting flat tyres is as rare as hen's teeth it doesnt really bother me if i drive on a steel spare until i get the normal road tyre repaired (if i were ever to get a puncture). For the record, my RAV will turn 10 years old this year and i've never had a flat tyre in the last decade :D

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mohit said:
My 1996 RAV4 came with 5 alloys from the factory. When i got aftermarket Ford alloys for my RAV4 i sold all 5 Toyota alloys. I also got a Ford steel rim to run as the spare. As getting flat tyres is as rare as hen's teeth it doesnt really bother me if i drive on a steel spare until i get the normal road tyre repaired (if i were ever to get a puncture). For the record, my RAV will turn 10 years old this year and i've never had a flat tyre in the last decade :D

I just got a line on a set of 5 spoke mustang rims too. did you bother to get hub centric rings made?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mohit said:
Yeh the wheel shop installed hub centric rings when the wheels were switched over from Toyota to Ford.
Mohit,

The rims in the pic look sweet! Could you tell me more about this Toyota/Ford rim switch? What's involved? What Ford did the donor rims come from? What are "hub centric rings" and are they necessary? Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
2000 "L", purchased used, has 4 alloys. Steel spare has a Bridgestone tire, owners packet had a Firestone/Bridgestone warranty card in it. Tires on alloys are now Dunlop, at 61,000 mi. I assume, based on the warranty card and mileage, that the spare is original.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts