Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
870 Posts
I have the fuel tank issue and needed new struts at 10k miles ?, I'm so done with Toyota. They have far too many recalls

How is your Rav4 been used? I've run struts as long as 100k before so I'm curious. All 4? By what test? Leaking?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do not own a RAV4, but was considering one, along with several others.

This thread seems a "lot about nothing." Will someone tell me .... how big is the problem? Can the tank only be filled 50%; 70%, 90%? Costco has signs asking you not to "top off" the tank.

I read threads on several different cars that I am considering. They are all the same. Rarely do I read positive comments. If I based buying a new vehicles on the owner comments I've read, .... I'm not sure I want to puchase ANY new vehicle.
It varies from vehicle to vehicle and I think this is why there is so much bickering of whether this is a nuisance, minor annoyance, major design flaw, or somewhere in between.

When I purchased my Rav4H in April 2019 I ended up in 50-70% full range within a few weeks, every fill would take less and less fuel. I was able to make them "fix it" in July by having them replace the fuel sending unit. This brought me up to about the 85% fill range consistently, aka the missing two gallons that seems to be common to the majority of posters on this forum. This is of course assuming the gauge/sensor is calibrated properly (very possible tanks are full, lots of reserve, manual wrong, blah blah blah.... dont care functionally this is what we as the consumer can see as the fill range, if anything else is going on its a design or documentation flaw and Toyota's fault they have not clarified)

50-70% = major problem - Some cars are in this range, I had one it really sucked.
85% = not happy with it but possibly ok, top off another click and your at about 90% which is passable but still unpleasant for a $40k car, also not out of SAE filling spec so you should be safe on warranty. (If Toyota gave me 10% of my purchase price back as a remedy I would not be complaining at all hah)

From what I hear they are not doing repairs anymore, if I still had that 50-60% fill capacity I would be fuming at this point.

PS I forced the buyback through in September/October on the 2019, I'm pretty sure there are at least two of us if not more who succeeded. I did really like the car but wanted to stick it to Toyota. It really burned me that they dropped the ball on the response / fix to this, won't be doing the android auto update, and extended the battery warranty for the 2020, seriously what a kick in the pants for their early adopters. I had my wife buy the 2020 in November under her name. Figured if it happened again I could use my previous buyback as proof Toyota had already agreed this was enough of an issue to repurchase a car. The 2020 has been consistent in the 85% fill range since purchase (one top off for 90%). Just going in for the 5k service this week and reporting the problem anyways in case I decide I've had enough of Toyota's shenanigans or other problems arise (or if the fix ever does actually materialize I'll be on the list).

Final 2 cents, its annoying but what else you gonna drive that check all the same boxes, CRVH is coming out soon, everything else isn't even close.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It varies from vehicle to vehicle and I think this is why there is so much bickering of whether this is a nuisance, minor annoyance, major design flaw, or somewhere in between.

When I purchased my Rav4H in April 2019 I ended up in 50-70% full range within a few weeks, every fill would take less and less fuel. I was able to make them "fix it" in July by having them replace the fuel sending unit. This brought me up to about the 85% fill range consistently, aka the missing two gallons that seems to be common to the majority of posters on this forum. This is of course assuming the gauge/sensor is calibrated properly (very possible tanks are full, lots of reserve, manual wrong, blah blah blah.... dont care functionally this is what we as the consumer can see as the fill range, if anything else is going on its a design or documentation flaw and Toyota's fault they have not clarified)

50-70% = major problem - Some cars are in this range, I had one it really sucked.
85% = not happy with it but possibly ok, top off another click and your at about 90% which is passable but still unpleasant for a $40k car, also not out of SAE filling spec so you should be safe on warranty. (If Toyota gave me 10% of my purchase price back as a remedy I would not be complaining at all hah)

From what I hear they are not doing repairs anymore, if I still had that 50-60% fill capacity I would be fuming at this point.

PS I forced the buyback through in September/October on the 2019, I'm pretty sure there are at least two of us if not more who succeeded. I did really like the car but wanted to stick it to Toyota. It really burned me that they dropped the ball on the response / fix to this, won't be doing the android auto update, and extended the battery warranty for the 2020, seriously what a kick in the pants for their early adopters. I had my wife buy the 2020 in November under her name. Figured if it happened again I could use my previous buyback as proof Toyota had already agreed this was enough of an issue to repurchase a car. The 2020 has been consistent in the 85% fill range since purchase (one top off for 90%). Just going in for the 5k service this week and reporting the problem anyways in case I decide I've had enough of Toyota's shenanigans or other problems arise (or if the fix ever does actually materialize I'll be on the list).

Final 2 cents, its annoying but what else you gonna drive that check all the same boxes, CRVH is coming out soon, everything else isn't even close.
You're missing another factor: where you live. I feel so sorry for people in New Jersey or Oregon who can't fill their own tanks and simply have to deal with an 85% full tank every time.

My opinion on this is simple: would you buy this car if it came with a 12 gallon tank instead of 14.5? If so, this isn't a huge deal, at worst it's just a funky fuel gauge. If not, this might be a more significant problem than just an annoyance.

BTW, Toyota is offering to replace the fuel tanks again after some media pressure. Though, as you (and they) know, it's not really a permanent fix at all.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You're missing another factor: where you live. I feel so sorry for people in New Jersey or Oregon who can't fill their own tanks and simply have to deal with an 85% full tank every time.

My opinion on this is simple: would you buy this car if it came with a 12 gallon tank instead of 14.5? If so, this isn't a huge deal, at worst it's just a funky fuel gauge. If not, this might be a more significant problem than just an annoyance.

BTW, Toyota is offering to replace the fuel tanks again after some media pressure. Though, as you (and they) know, it's not really a permanent fix at all.
Not a huge deal for me, but to some who bought it to get close to rated 600 range is probably a big deal.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the fuel tank issue and needed new struts at 10k miles ?, I'm so done with Toyota. They have far too many recalls
Wow.

Inquiring minds want to know.

The struts . . . . what was the genesis of discovering they had gone south? Front struts, rear struts, all four?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts