Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How many clicks when using parking brake?

363 10
When using the parking brake when parking (supposedly better to use it every time to protect transmission), how many clicks should you hear when pulling it up? I always though that the brake was only engaged when pulled to the max (no more clicks if you pull it more) but I don’t know if that’s true. I don’t want to damage the parking brake by pulling it too far every time I park.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,452 Posts
I don't think it's possible to pull it too far unless you're a Gorilla. In the few situations where I use mine I hold the button in with my thumb to avoid wearing out the ratchet teeth so I don't know how many clicks.
This thread probably has an "official" click count.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It takes as many as necessary.
If you are flat or minor incline, the car will require less braking force to prevent it from rolling.
If you are on a steep incline, you'll need max braking.

Overall, you shouldn't feel like you are in a contest to see who can pull the lever the most.
While you are learning how to use the brake, my suggestion is to stop the car and while pressing the foot brake (still), engage the parking brake to what you think is correct. Then let off the foot brake. If the car rolls, you haven't applied enough parking brake.
Repeat by pulling further.

When you feel comfortable with this, you will have muscle memory of stopping, shifting to neutral, applying parking brake and releasing your foot (and parking brake will bet set perfectly) then shift to park.

If anybody chooses to answer how many clicks -that won't really help you. Based on brake wear, the clicks from one car to another will be different. You have to go by feel for your particular vehicle.

@Dr. Dyno -is that generation of car using disc or drum brakes? I assume Toyota has used disc on the rear for a long time.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,424 Posts
I always pull it up as far as I can, simply because those tiny brake shoes in the drum can barely hold the weight of the car on an incline.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From the service manual.

Pull force of 20kg/44lbs should result in 7-9clicks.

A lot of manual trans cars here in my neck of the woods and it's pretty important the park brake is setup correctly or your car wont stay where you left it. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I normally set up my Corolla's rear drum brakes so that there is little movement when I pull my E brake lever. The shoes never touch when I'm finished adjusting them, but they are close to the drum.
I never really noticed how many clicks it takes, I just pull it until there is good resistance. (probably 3-4)
The last two times that I had my car at the dealership for an inspection, the mechanic always noted on the inspection sheet that my E brake was set too tight? I would assume that the above post of 7-9 clicks is what they would set it at.

I always found that my Rav4 E brake never really had good holding force. Even when I replaced the brake shoes and rotors and adjusted them well, it still doesn't hold as well as they should IMO. They are harder to access so I don't remove the rotors often to inspect, but I wonder why they don't seem to hold as well as my other vehicles?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts