Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hear all the sad stories about the 2.4 engine starting to use a lot of oil. How common is this? Is this a reason not buy a Rav4 with these engines? A friend of mine works at a local toyota dealership and although they see a few, it wasn't many, especially considering the amount of cars sold.

·
Registered
256 Posts
177k on mine and didn't burn a drop on Mobil 1 synthetic. But the god forsaken head gasket went 2 weeks ago for no reason. Very disappointed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
255K on mine, never a drop burned or leaked
I've never heard of it from anyone else
the head gasket, that's another story

·
Registered
256 Posts
255K on mine, never a drop burned or leaked
I've never heard of it from anyone else
the head gasket, that's another story
Is the 2.0 gen motor prone to head gasket issues? I'm living proof that I took meticulous care of this motor and the head gasket failed for absolutely no reason. It ended up pushing all the coolant out of the system and into the expansion tank. When I opened the radiator cap, exhaust fumes were bellowing out!! Ridiculous!

·
Registered
272 Posts
if the engine is overheated it can lead to failure in the back middle bolt threads that disintegrate and a leak develops in one or both of the middle cylinders since the bolts are no longer pulling the head to the block like they should
this is not unique to this engine, it is a problem with any engine using steel head bolts in aluminum block, which is actually quite common these days
if your car has never gotten overly hot, it likely will never happen
if your car does overheat, the chances of this happening go up quite a bit

·
Registered
256 Posts
if the engine is overheated it can lead to failure in the back middle bolt threads that disintegrate and a leak develops in one or both of the middle cylinders since the bolts are no longer pulling the head to the block like they should
this is not unique to this engine, it is a problem with any engine using steel head bolts in aluminum block, which is actually quite common these days
if your car has never gotten overly hot, it likely will never happen
if your car does overheat, the chances of this happening go up quite a bit
I owned the car since 114,000 miles and when the head went, it had 177,000. The car was never once overheated in the 3 years of ownership. Coolant was changed with genuine Toyota red kool aid.

·
Registered
272 Posts
here are a few ways a car can overheat and not cause permanent obvious damage, yet still affect longevity:

serpentine belt break, you are running on battery power, short time later temp goes up, then idiot light comes on
thermostat sticks or doesn't open
don't have 50/50 mix of antifreeze and it gets -25F
place something in front of radiator to make heater work better and you get a warm spell or forget to remove object in spring
radiator hose leak

I'm sure others can think of ways it can happen

the serpentine belt is the only time mine got hot at about 135K, apparently that was enough to do it, the leak happened at 185K

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Back on oil consumption...

My wife's '04 would use a quart every 3k or so.
It did not get worse as it aged, it was always a "burner", and it had almost 150k when we traded it on her '15.
Other than that, it was rock solid. Had a bad O2 sensor at about 25k, and a bad alternator at 140k or so. Water pump was showing signs of weeping, but was still quiet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, my ‘05 was an oil burner when I purchased it used last year, 60k miles. It consumed 25% of it’s oil capacity in 3k miles/3 months of operation.

After regular oil changes/flushes every 3k miles the oil consumption incrementally disappeared come 70k miles on the odometer.

More detailed explanation here: https://www.rav4world.com/threads/04-and-05-2-4-oil-consumption-ok.291665/post-2711194

Not to turn this into a dreaded oil brand debate, but the oil burning solution for me was as follows;
1) Amsoil Signature 0W30
2) Amsoil Engine Flush, not exactly used as directed.

Maybe also contributing, although I’m sure to a lot lesser extent were the Amsoil filters and Performance Injector cleaner.

I’m sure many brands work just as good, this is just what worked for me. I think the most important aspect was the frequency of oil service that contributed to reducing my oil consumption from 1 qt / 3k miles to effectively zero.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts