Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 1st anniversary with my Rav this past December, I was just under 31,000 miles. Still love it like the day I bought it. However, that's what I said about my 99 Tacoma.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow! you average close to 85 miles a day everyday!
you must have done quite a few long roadtrips at different times of the year? any coast-coast trips? We;d like to hear the details on how it performed.
Do you use synthetic oil in your engine?
I do only around 10000 miles a year. When I do go on a trip > 100 miles, I begin to feel the need for a 6 banger under my hood. Could use the quietness :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, that's my regular commuting. I daydream about heading to California, maybe when I graduate. I would take out the back seats, plug in my little refrigerator, and throw a few pillows back there for naps. My boyfriend wouldn't be too comfortable, but I could curl up back there!

If we did another road trip, we would probably take his car. If it did happen with the Rav, I'll let you know how it works out.

Oh, and I get the "earl" changed every 5k, just plain ol' 5w30 Mobil, no synthetic. And no problems yet.

·
Registered
986 Posts
About 20K-30K miles per year, which is a lot considering I don't have far to commute each day. It's all the short local trips each day and a few regional trips each month that add up over the course of a year. I don't think I've taken my Rav more than 300 miles from home on any one trip. All of my out-of-state trips stay within the greater New York / New England area.

I change my oil (Mobil 1 5W30) every 5000 miles which ends up being about every two months. I could go longer since it's synthetic but it only costs me $25 in parts and a 1/2 hour under the car every time I do it.

Put it this way- I got my Rav used in April of '03 with only 7000 miles on it. My Rav's mileage now, 21 months later, is over 62K miles. That's 55K miles in less than 2 years.

The maintenance cost of the Rav has been pretty cheap, because I perform all of the regular tasks myself, but leave any warranty repairs to the dealer. No $400 dealer tune-ups for me...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
About 10,000 miles/year. Have a very short commute that consists of getting on the highway for a few exits. So even with an annual road trip/vacation down to Florida I don't put much mileage on.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Rav is 2 years old in April
:D 13,000 Take the Iron horse to work every day :oops: But 2005 will be another story :roll: Got my Radar detector ready :wink:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have to figure mine exactly every year for my taxes (I have a business), but don't have my taxes handy with the exact numbers. Generally speaking though, I'm usually between 8,500 and 9,500 a year. Last year I know it was just a bit more than usual, probably due to the drive home from Boston. I think my 12/31/04 mileage on the new Rav was around 7,200, plus whatever I put on the 4.1 between January and May.

However many there's been, they've all been good ones so far! :D

Becky

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got about 6,850 miles / year. I've had it for two years now and have about 13,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am interested in how the 4.2 holds up for mileage. I need to replace one of my 4.1's in about 12 months. Since April I have put 6,111 miles a month. A little less than last year but I am only running 5 days a week instead of 6.
If I go with a 4.2 I will need to modify the center to get rid of the arm rest so I can slide ove and drive from the right.....
Who has the most miles on a 4.2? And what problems have you had? (if any)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi, Stelly!

I'm sure mine doesn't have the most miles, but I have almost 99k miles on my RAV. It will reach 100k miles well before its 4th birthday this May. I haven't had any real problems with it, unless you count the check engine light/catalytic converter/sensor stuff, which got covered by warranty.

I'm looking forward to the next 200k+ miles! :D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 103,000 and drive 25,000 miles a year. About 112 each day to work and a yearly trip to Myrtle Beach. Besides the rattle and engine light problem, i am very happy with my Rav.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've got since Oct. 2002 a total of 27500 miles. Last year I did about 12,000 and I'd been going to the bay area or short trips to the mountain, so that added up. Half of the rest of 2004, I didn't go anywhere and in 4 months, I only did between 3000 to 2500, just commuting from work to school.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Its good to hear people are happy with their car, whatever the mileage done. Out of curiosity - what would you consider high mileage these days? I think id consider it high mileage when the ongoing maintenance bills started to rocket. Other than that, I dont really know. 200K?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got 35,000 KMS in mine. I do not use it everyday for work. It's that frequent weekend drive from Vancouver to Seattle and vice versa that kicks it. I still got that brand new feel fellas!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
High mileage depends on how well you take care of your car. With modern technology and various other improvement high quality cars, like Toyota, get broken in at 100,000miles. My last car, 1989 Mazda MX-6, had 221,000 miles on it before someone decided to run a red light and total the car. I had no problems with the car and it ran great. Parts do wear and will need replacing at some point. But it is cheaper than a car payment to replace parts if your car is paid off. There is no magic mileage #. Basically, if you are fixing your car more often than you are driving it, then it might be time for a new car. My experience with Toyota, I have had a Tercel and also have a 2000 Camry with 135,000 miles, is they are extremely dependable and reliable. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The automotive industry generally considers anything over 75,000 miles to be "high mileage". I tend to believe high mileage is anything over 100,000 miles, but I don't think high mileage is a bad thing, it all depends on the car. The majority of people in my family drive cars with high mileage. My uncle buys used vehicles with 75K+ miles on them because they are cheap and he drives them until they die. My father buys new vehicles and keeps them until the cost of maintaining them exceeds the cost of buying another new vehicle, whether that takes 3 years or 10 years. My brother has a ten year old Nissan Altima with 100K+ miles that he uses for his daily driver, but he got a new SUV for the wife and keeps his Acura as a sunny day car. I'll probably keep my Rav until I have money to replace it with a Lexus, which is probably a few years down the road,

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have about 11500 km (about 7130 mi) on my 2004 RAV, which I picked up exactly seven months ago today. (OMG, has it already been that long? :shock: Doesn't really feel that long at all! :wink:)

On average, when I had my 1995 Tercel, I drive about 15000 km (9300 mi) per year during my university years (when I used to live closer on campus and didn't drive as much because I didn't have a life!), it became more like 18000 km (11160 mi) nowadays, after I started working about five years ago. I drive about 25 km (15 mi) to work one-way, plus a lot of driving on weekends.

Just for the records, I had about 141000 km (87420 mi) on my 1995 Tercel's odometer (purchased in September 1995) when I sold it back in June 2004... works out to about 16000 km (9920 mi) per year.

I just did the math. At my current pace, I'll put on about the same mileage on my RAV4 as my Tercel (i.e.: about 18000 km or 11160 mi per year).

Boy, Toyotas just last forever (well, almost!), don't they? I still don't know why people like to diss Toyota. Maybe they're jealous that their Dodges or Fords don't last as long. :lol: Sure, Toyota parts cost more, but if they're made right the first time, why do you need to replace parts? :lol:

(Sorry for going off-topic. :oops:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts