Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How many miles have you driven, or gallons used after the "Low Fuel" light comes on? (Ignoring DTE)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am curious how well our fuel gauges are calibrated. The manual says that the low fuel light comes on at 2.2gal. I suspect that for many the gauge is very conservative.

Ignoring the DTE or Distance to Empty, how many miles have you driven, or how many gallons have you used after the low fuel light comes on? If you have a reliable way to tell how many gallons, that would be a more helpful response.

·
Registered
477 Posts
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/have-you-had-trouble-filling-your-hybrid-gas-tank.300662/post-2728716

there seems to be two issues.
Not getting a full tank AND/or
excessive Reserve amount on empty

In my case, At Empty I have 3-4 gallons of gas left.
I have driven over 90 miles On EMPTY...

I routinely drive on refill now...

I maxed out at 90 miles, so far...

These are real numbers, from a car with a GOOD Fill up.

11.6 gallons - EMPTY and 10 more miles ( DTE after fill = 525 )
12.1 gallons - EMPTY and 35 more miles ( DTE after fill = 550 )
10.3 gallons - 30 miles left - LOW fuel light just came on ( DTE after fill = 515 )
12.3 gallons - EMPTY and 35 more miles ( DTE after fill = 555 )
12.0 gallons - EMPTY and 30 more miles ( DTE after fill = 540 )
11.6 gallons - EMPTY and 10 more miles ( DTE after fill = 550 )
12.8 gallons - EMPTY and 90 more miles ( DTE after fill = 560 )

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've have done over 100 miles once, but just out of experiment, not something I would routinely do, when you see the light on and your needle way past empty your stress level is increased

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've have done over 100 miles once, but just out of experiment, not something I would routinely do, when you see the light on and your needle way past empty your stress level is increased
Cant agree more!!!
Very scary driving that long on EMPTY.
That's the reason I called Toyota and lodged a complaint, regarding the excessive reserve tank.
IE way more than 2.2 gallons

·
Registered
557 Posts
Normally i refuel between 700-800km (450-500 mile); never saw the empty light except at startup...

·
Registered
271 Posts
The farthest I've gone after the Fuel Low light came on was 68.4 miles. On that fill up, I ended up putting 13.777 gallons in for an overall tank of 43.6mpg, meaning I had 0.723 gallons (14.5 - 13.777) left in my tank. Further math'ing, assuming the Fuel Low light comes on at 2.2 gallons left, I used 1.477 gallons (2.2 - 0.723) after the Fuel Low light came on which yields 1.477 gal x 43.6mpg = 64.4 miles. If my Fuel Low light came on at 2.3 gallons left, then I used 1.577 gallons (2.3 - 0.723) yielding 1.577 gal x 43.6 mpg = 68.8 miles.

Since I went 68.4 miles, it appears that the Fuel Low light came on for me somewhere between 2.2 and 2.3 gallons left in the tank.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The farthest I've gone after the Fuel Low light came on was 68.4 miles. On that fill up, I ended up putting 13.777 gallons in for an overall tank of 43.6mpg, meaning I had 0.723 gallons (14.5 - 13.777) left in my tank. Further math'ing, assuming the Fuel Low light comes on at 2.2 gallons left, I used 1.477 gallons (2.2 - 0.723) after the Fuel Low light came on which yields 1.477 gal x 43.6mpg = 64.4 miles. If my Fuel Low light came on at 2.3 gallons left, then I used 1.577 gallons (2.3 - 0.723) yielding 1.577 gal x 43.6 mpg = 68.8 miles.

Since I went 68.4 miles, it appears that the Fuel Low light came on for me somewhere between 2.2 and 2.3 gallons left in the tank.
How many gallons of gas in you put in your car when the low fuel light comes on?

·
Registered
271 Posts
How many gallons of gas in you put in your car when the low fuel light comes on?
I didn't put gas in when the light came on, but as stated in the post, I ended up putting in 13.777 gallons total when I finally refueled. But doing the math from the numbers in my post, 13.777 gal - 1.477 gal (that's how much I used after the light came on) = 12.3 gallons used when the light came on. That means I had 2.2'ish gallons left in my tank when the light actually came on.

In other words, the numbers I experienced/observed are exactly as stated in the Owner's Manual...the Fuel Light comes on when there's ~2.2 gallons left in the tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The amount of miles after the fuel light illuminates can vary drastically! So many variables will impact mileage numbers. DTE numbers vary, as will the number of miles after DTE = 0.

What happened to the good 'ol days and seeing the gas gauge getting below 1/4 and planning where to get gas (ie. close to home vs. work, etc.). When the low fuel light illuminates, time to get fuel ASAP. If you think the amount of reserve fuel is too high, you will NEVER get that resolved by Toyota. If they did "fix" it for you, someone else right run out of fuel because they are more heavy footed. DTE and reserve fuel are all estimates, nothing more.

Remember, fuel in the fuel tank cools the fuel pump! Constantly getting too low in fuel and you will shorten the life of the fuel pump. Not worth getting an "extra" 45 miles.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't put gas in when the light came on, but as stated in the post, I ended up putting in 13.777 gallons total when I finally refueled. But doing the math from the numbers in my post, 13.777 gal - 1.477 gal (that's how much I used after the light came on) = 12.3 gallons used when the light came on. That means I had 2.2'ish gallons left in my tank when the light actually came on.

In other words, the numbers I experienced/observed are exactly as stated in the Owner's Manual...the Fuel Light comes on when there's ~2.2 gallons left in the tank.
Was that all on the first click?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following the nomenclature of the "refuel" and "low fuel light" comes on. Are they one and the same? Do you get a "low fuel" warning and later a "refuel"?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first refuel alert comes at 26 dte miles. I usually drive another 40-60 miles before filling. One time the dte was below 26 miles and when I stopped overnight, the next day dte was 85. I still refilled about 40 miles later. Never happened again [so far].

1 - 20 of 26 Posts