Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I've been looking to get a 4.1 with 4x4 and a 5 speed strictly for a commuter car to get me to work and around in the winter. I'm looking to spend as little as possible while still as much as it takes to get something that won't blow up on my way to work.

I'm pretty amazed at how these things retain their value! Wow they can fetch high asking prices! I recently ran into one with 175k on the odo that is in really good shape and well taken care of. I can probably talk them down to $2000 from their asking price. Should I think about this one or is that too many miles to count on with my career?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Personally, I would never buy a used vehicle with more than 120,000 miles UNLESS I was familiar with the owner and knew the repair and maintenance history.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Personally, I stick to something like 100K miles.
At 175K miles, make sure sure the whole exhaust has been changed. That's when the exhaust rusts out, one piece every few months.
Also, any history on when the timing belt/water pump/coolant were changed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No word on the maintenance schedule. I haven't looked at it but I asked specifically about undercarriage rust and they said it was clean.

To be a little more clear, I can put a little money into it if necessary I just can't have it tossing a rod or dropping gears. Things of that nature. I'm looking at $2000 cars because I need it to get me just a few years of service without breaking down for major repairs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The first Rav I really looked at had 323,000 miles on it, yet the test drive was very impressive, But it had 2 things against it before I knew the mileage, my wife hated automatic transmissions and she wanted a sunroof. We did change from shopping for a replacement Camry to a Rav4.

My Rav4 has 184,000 miles and I mainly use it to drive lonely roads, so I am a big fan of the capabilities and reliability of the Rav4. On some of the roads I could be there a day or two until someone wanders past, but it is a pretty area.

I like the Rav4 in ice and snow conditions, I often go out for a drive in the fresh snow just because the car has so much grab-and-go, that it is a blast to drive.

Buy it for a fun little winter beater, but you might fall in love.>:D

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I would be wary of buying a vehicle with that many miles on it - it could last for another 175k, but obviously as its miles increase the statistical possibility for problems also increases. If you can get the VIN you can go onto www.toryotaowners.com and register, and obtain the service and repair records which were done by Toyota dealers and by others including the owner(s) who have access to the system.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Those miles aren't enough to worry about. It's more about getting a good mechanical and body check done by a good mechanic. Body rust is much harder to fix than engine issues etc. Mine has done over 20000 miles with a buggered engine. Yes it needs a new one but it's still going even though it needs daily water top ups.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
When they are selling it with that high a mileage, its giving them problems. Then again, these vehicles are like the Nova when it first came out. At 2K, and if it looks OK, I'll jump on it. If it has some glitches, and I think it does. Keep some money aside to check it. After that, it will give you many more miles. Believe me, I've hammered mine, and it looks like every time it just brushes its shoulder, and drives on, hard. BTW, I've taken care of mine though. Your call. BTW, its raining outside, I'll wax and polish mine right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't even look for cars with under 150K miles. I am a die hard 90's toyota guy. People sell cars with that many miles on them cheap because they think there usefulness is limited and the car is not going to last long. I find the opposite to be true. You may need to do address some things that have been neglected but rarely is it anything major. I find that normal wear items like shocks, brakes, and fluids are gonna need to be done. If you can do those things yourself you can usually save a lot of money. Someone who has kept up on everything is gonna know their car is a diamond in the ruff and most likely charge accordingly. Drive it and see how it runs and shifts everything else is fairly easy to fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts