Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what kind of miles you got on your RAV. I only got 55k in 4 years because the RAV stays away from the SALT and we drive the Corolla most of the time. Unless there is a big snow storm or if we have to go out of town.

Anybody above 150k-200k yet? I want to know all the details if you don't mind. All original engine/trans? If not, what happened? Any details? How is the car performing after this many miles?

I have made a similar post for the 4.2 RAV owners on "General 4.2"

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mensajero said:
I got 57,489, my RAV4 is from 1997, I boughrt in June of 1996.

Only 57k on an eight year old vehicle?
What is going on with you guys/gals and here I thought I had low miles?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's someone on this BBS who is a rural postal carrier...he's got over 200k IIRC.

We've got 101674 as of this morning.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
176 Posts
I only have 97,000 on my 2000. Bought it last April 10th with 31,000.
My '98 has 272,000 on it. Seems to be still holding up well. I drive them hard and put them away sweating. :roll:
The alloy wheels don't hold up too well. Had to go to all steel to keep them from bending and cracking.
The 2000 is driven about 230 miles a day - the '98 has easy duty now and only goes 50 miles a day.
I had to rebuild the driver's seat, added more padding and lumbar support.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
130,000+miles on my '97, and no major problems. Just a water pump, and a pesky sensor. Other than that, been real happy with her. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I picked my RAV4 last month, I saw a newspaper on a white board in the Toyota dealer. That is about a social worker who drove a 1989 Corola to help kids of low income families in Edmonton, Albert province of Canada. How many kilometers can you guess this lady drove for last 15 years? ---- 960,000 km (600,000 miles)! She got automatic transmission replaced after 700,000 km, lower ball joints and tie rods changed near 900,000. What she did were only to change oil every 5000 km and clean the car to remove road salt every 2-3 days. A Toronto Toyota dealer exchanged it with a brand new 2005 Corola last November to avoid its 6 digit odometer to reset to "0".

·
Registered
13 Posts
,99 RAV4 4WD, 4DR, 5SPD purchased new April 1999

119,000 Miles, regular maintenance, same brakes, same exhaust, same clutch, new tranny (5th gear problem).

Still going strong. Reliable tranportation for our "this old house" project.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
obj said:
,99 RAV4 4WD, 4DR, 5SPD purchased new April 1999

119,000 Miles, regular maintenance, same brakes, same exhaust, same clutch, new tranny (5th gear problem).

Still going strong. Reliable tranportation for our "this old house" project.
Your whole transmission was changed because of 5th gear problem?? I had a rattle in 5th gear and they changed some of 5th gear shifter assembly but not the transmission. What was happening?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your whole transmission was changed because of 5th gear problem?? I had a rattle in 5th gear and they changed some of 5th gear shifter assembly but not the transmission. What was happening?
It was popping out of fifth. Would not hold fifth gear and 75% of my 50 mile commute is highway. Sign of it beginning to happen was watching the gear shift move quite a bit (much more than usual) as you accelerated and decelerated. First time it happened, under warranty, they just replaced the gear (there is a TSB on it). Well, the problem came back, and this time the dealer replaced the tranny, fortunately under warranty (otherwise it would have set me back $3K). It's been solid ever since.

·
Registered
122 Posts
1997 AWD 5 speeds bought in Febuary 1997.

94000 Km (59000 Miles)

The only big trouble: the 5th speed problem who has been fixed last year.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
175,000km and counting.

Not bad consider I had my transplant over 30,000km ago.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drive a 1996 with 82,000 miles on it. My mom drove it for the first 8 years and now its mine. Nothing replaced or broken. Synthetic oil changed every 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have two RAV4's, puchased in 2002.

I have 157K miles on Duffy (96 4DR RAV4) , having put 100K miles on the RAV4 over the past three years traveling around the USA. My wife has 60K miles on Fluffy (96 2DR RAV4), for driving around town. Never had any problem that was severe. Have changed the timing belt twice and water pump once.

I guess I will go for 200K miles by 2006 - and probably at that time begin looking for something else to drive. My wife says she will keep hers for a while longer. Have changed the timing belt and water pump one time.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
140,000 miles on 1996

used 1996, 4 door auto, 4wd, about 3 seconds or black exhaust on startup in the morning, no leaks, crossing fingers, runs strong!!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts