Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sorry, nope. I'm into subtle or debadged though.

If you include getting mine back from Toyota today after having lots of new bits fitted to get the alignment done, that's 1 mod.
Metal valve caps, 2 mods.

I do like reading about what you've been up to though. Keep it up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, nope. I'm into subtle or debadged though.

If you include getting mine back from Toyota today after having lots of new bits fitted to get the alignment done, that's 1 mod.
Metal valve caps, 2 mods.

I do like reading about what you've been up to though. Keep it up.
Well I'm glad to hear it :) The 3S-GTE Sticker wasn't the only Mod I did today, I changed out the ball-joints, tie-rod ends and the stabilizer links.

Like Mensajero, I've waited MONTHS for the ADDCO Rear sway bar to arrive, I just got world this morning from Summit Racing that it's on it's way, and I expect it to arrive in a couple days.

I'll be posting some pics and stuff from when the Fabricator designs some way to allow me to have both the Rear sway bar and the new Curt Trailer Hitch.

The difference in ride and handling after swapping these parts out, (hands still filthy, keyboard good and greasy) is amazing! It feels and tracks like a new vehicle! the Poly bushings, and OME kit along with all new of these parts is crazy different. Cant wait for that sway bar!

I put the 3S-GTE Logo there to avoid snickers and questions, I've had people kind of giggle at the rav, but those who do it beside me at a red light have nothing to laugh about when it turns green. Plus why the hell should I rock the YAKIMA Logo? too mainstream :)

I'd also like to seek out those who actually know the 3S-GTE Engine, it would be great to be approached by someone who KNOWS the engine, instead of just those who want to know what Motor is under the hood, just to have never heard of it before (but everyone seems to know the 6 cyl version 2JZ-GTE??!?!?!?! Convincing the GM Boys who inquire about it that it's an identical engine with a two less cylinders usually has them puff up and laugh.... I don't get people sometimes. If the engine isn't wrapped in something that looks Fast, it "Isn't fast". ugh-huh....

I'll admit some of the mods I'm doing I may not have thought I would want either, but once you start you just cant stop. I try to be quite selective about what I do and don't do to it, most of it can be changed back quite quickly. I may even swap the hood out for a stock one for the winter incase of a crash, I could bring this thing back to looking stock within an hour or two I figure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And did you lube them to eliminate squeaks?
Yes, I did everything in stages to feel the difference with each mod.

1) I started with the OME Spring Kit on all 4 sides (with Monroe sensatrac front struts)
Conclusion: this immediately eliminated that "drunken sway" where the chassis seems to "bob around" on the suspension" When you hit bumps (like a speed bump) the vehicle bounces straight up and down, front to back, with ZERO side to side motion, HUGE improvement at 100km+ highly advise this Mod.

2)Poly Bush Kit
Conclusion: you immediately notice that the ride is stiffer, and yes, hitting bumps and stuff does transfer noise and vibration to the chassis, but if you're coming off of old marshmallow rubber bushings that are dried, cracked and tired, what you get is a real analogue feel with instant feedback from the steering wheel, If you've got a good stereo, Get the bushing kit
I've re-greased the sway bar bushings twice this year, during other stuff, they were dry each time, I CAN hear squeaks on occassion from the control arm poly bushes but I'll re-grease those when I install re-inforced and powdercoated control arms in the spring time

3)New Tie Rods, ball joints and stabilizer links
Conclusion: Do EVERYTHING AT ONCE. The difference you feel is all in the steering wheel, it's TIGHT again, less clunking noises and it just rejuvenates the front end.

4)Four Wheel Alignment
Conclusion. DO IT EVERY YEAR! Or your just wearing out anything you've replaced. perfectly good parts prematurely, and destroying your tires and MPG. I just did one a few months ago, but after all this work I've just done, it's going back in next week, I've got brand new studded tires, I'm not taking any chances of throwing a non-replaceable nordic stud just because I want to save a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes, I did everything in stages to feel the difference with each mod.
That's the right way to do things, so you what does what and can reverse anything you don't like.

Thanks for the details. I'm tempted to raise mine a touch, but before I got into off-roading, I was used to something low and wide that cornered like on rails, so like to try and do the same with my RAV4, which is surprisingly good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the right way to do things, so you what does what and can reverse anything you don't like.

Thanks for the details. I'm tempted to raise mine a touch, but before I got into off-roading, I was used to something low and wide that cornered like on rails, so like to try and do the same with my RAV4, which is surprisingly good.
Well, I can tell you that right now the Rav4 handles WAY better than my Wifes Caldina, its got it's original 1997 bushings throughout, and you can tell! I'm going to do exactly all the same stuff to her Caldina as I've done to the Rav (Bushings, Ultra Racing Bars) but she's got the ST205 suspension (st215) so we can do coil-overs, which we will do.

I love the adjustability idea, so she can raise it in the Winter (she's also got Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 Tires on hers) and lower it in the Summer (Potenza's)

Hands down, if you're going to do the cheapest (the labour is NOT) mod, do the full bushing kit. It literally changes the car. I expect the rear Sway bar to give me the ability to do 4 wheel burnouts with complete confidence (because of the other mods) without the fear of flipping the Rav.

And I'm talking about on dry pavement here.

I wont attempt any burnouts and still refrain from "launching" the Rav4. Until I have those Ultra Racing bars in place though, no point twisting this rav4 like a pop can when I'm just a few months away from connecting the sub-frames and stiffening everything up tight.

I'm planning to rally race the Rav4 in Kelowna BC at Big White Winter Rally in 2017, so this is the prototype build, and promotional model I guess you can say.

Like this Caldina video I've posted before.

(after User CalgaryRav finishes his Caldina/Rav rear diff project, and repeats same for me, that is)

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
OK: that video cracked me up! Good laugh! Good mods. Poly bushings, eh? Source? What would the ADDCO sway bar do for a Two Door? Besides put a smile on my face..... Is there a list of your mods somewhere? There may be a memory limit.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts