Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Has your RAV4 Gen 5 experienced a roof leak?

• Nope.

Votes: 156 91.2%
  • Yep.

Votes: 15 8.8%
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just trying to gauge how widespread this is. My car is garaged, but now I’m dreading having it rained on at all given the stories I’m reading in the roof rack leak thread.

How many of you have had your car out in the pouring rain for days/weeks/months and have an issue?

I shouldn’t be sweating my car getting wet .... so naturally I’m wondering if its a few of the millions sold or much worse than that.

Surely some RAVs sit on a dealer‘s lot getting soaked for at least a couple months before they are sold? Wouldn’t we see this on a dealer’s lot? Surely people in the pacific NW or other rainy climates would have overwhelming chimed in by now?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the Plat 7/125 for my car. I betcha there is a loophole in the extended warranty that absolves Toyota; that would be my luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve seen people comment on that in the originating thread, however I’m willing to bet if the seal fails, the silicone bubbles, or whatever and you still get water, you’re on your own w/ Toyota. I’m hopeful this isn’t widespread, or if it is, Toyota steps up like they did w/ the gas tank and remedies it.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Premium AWD
8 Posts
Not leaks. No roof rack yet. I drove 3+hrs in a down pour from VA to SC with no problem. Oddly enough a week later leaving from Myrtle Beach to Baltimore it down poured the whole way. Some sections I couldn't see my hood.

Rav made in Japan.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My 2019 XLEP was parked and used exclusively outside in Florida for 8 months with no apparent leaks.

That said, while I think the prevalence is pretty exaggerated, given all the attention given to leaking roof racks I did pretty aggressively seal the mounts onto the roof when I built my custom roof rack.

·
Registered
63 Posts
is this specific to any trim and even manufacturing location? My friend has a 2019 Limited Hybrid made in Japan, and so far without any leak issues in Washington State with a lot of rain. She even has the larger roof rails.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,321 Posts
I have no leak, but I sealed my roof proactively. I’m not going to leave my cars integrity to the hands of 1-2mm paper thin flimsy gaskets.

For anyone on the fence of DIY’ing the repair, it’s a relatively easy task (4/10 difficulty) with some patience.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
only way to be certain doesnt happen drop headliner and seal it to the max. waiting for someone put out tutorial lol
I did a pretty decent write-up on the process, page-5 post #94
You don't need to drop the headliner as it's the clips causing the leak, not the bolts. But by all means if you wish to go the extra mile you can drop the roof liner (I included a video and some commentary in the link above).

Please be advised IF you do remove any bolts (any trim level) you need to use blue loctite/thread locker when installing back.

is this specific to any trim and even manufacturing location? My friend has a 2019 Limited Hybrid made in Japan, and so far without any leak issues in Washington State with a lot of rain. She even has the larger roof rails.
No, it affects all trim levels, adventure seems to be the most prevalent in posts since most people have it/customize, but don't let it fool you that it's limited to one trim.

Word of advice to anyone remotely curious on this subject, read ALL the pages in the original thread and be versed fully on your investment. Good or bad, it's worth being informed.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It seems there are more leaking in Japan and Taiwan, especially who used the weird garden hose test.
It spread like wildfire after one post TBH, and the asian tuner community is always pretty vocal.

IMO It's not the most practical test, but it does prove that the car leaks when it shouldn't at all regardless of whatever stress test. Think about it, if the hose test didn't get posted this problem would've still been the occasional murmur that it was earlier in the year.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,414 Posts
I bought the Plat 7/125 for my car. I betcha there is a loophole in the extended warranty that absolves Toyota; that would be my luck.
"THESE ARE THE ITEMS NOT COVERED:Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Fabric; Door Trim; Filters; Fluids; Fuel Cell Air Compressor; Fuel Cell Boost Converter; Fuel Cell Electronic Control Unit; Fuel Cell Hydrogen Tanks; Fuel Cell Power Control Unit; Fuel Cell Stack; Fuel Cell Vehicle Battery Pack; Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly; Hydrogen Fueling Electronic Control Unit; Interior and Exterior Trim and Moldings (including but not limited to: Ashtrays, Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents); Lamps, Light Assemblies/Housings, and Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades (rubber component); All interior and exterior cloth, leather, and stitching including convertible tops and/or vinyl tops including but not limited to: any vibration, deterioration, discoloration, disfigurement, warping, fading, staining, stretching, ripping, punctures, tearing and or scratches."

Not much left to cover after water damage.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,849 Posts
Lets see if we can isolate the issue a bit.

Year?
Factory that built it?
Used the roof rack for?
Was something mounted to the side rails when the leak occurred? Crossbars? Weight? Luggage carrier? etc

1 - 20 of 113 Posts