Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Has your RAV4 Gen 5 experienced a roof leak?

• Nope.

Votes: 177 91.7%
  • Yep.

Votes: 16 8.3%
41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I’ll be honest I’m relieved my poll has gone overwhelmingly ‘no problem’. This leak possibility is really sapping my joy with the new car. Otherwise, so far, I’ve not had the battery drain issue (TSB applied) and my fuel tank continues to fully fill (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
6.5% is still a pretty significant failure rate from an engineering perspective, especially given how new this vehicle is. Although the sample size is pretty small still.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It is. I’m hoping the old saying ”people only post to complain” holds true here.

Reactions: Lindenwood

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
No leakIn. We have warranties. Either a) Toyota will come up with am implement a fix for all if it is a prevalent issue, or b) the incidences are so low (what I suspect) that they will individually be fixed when needed via our warranty.
Or perhaps C) the issues will appear after the factory warranty has expired. When one looks at the thin roof seals, it is obvious that long term durability is questionable.

Here is a great video that shows the seals, 1:06 shows the paper thin seals.

Rav4 Roof Leak Explained 2019 2020 2021 Toyota Rav4 - YouTube

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
My car is garaged 90% of the time. Between my home garage and work garage I’m not exposed to the elements save when I’m actually driving.

Hopefully Toyota comes up w/ something regarding this somewhat soon. I’d imagine the campaign would be costly; and I can’t imagine how it wouldn‘t be a recall since the electrical joins for the air bags get wet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
(Knock on wood).... no roof leak here. Just over 11K miles, plenty of rain and I go through a full touch and scratch carwash at least a few times a week. I drive a lot for work and like a clean car, but I don't want to hand wash. Anyway, dry so far.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Under normal usage (normal car wash and raining), it is only 5.4% of unlucky guys who experienced roof leaking, which might be the results of damaged clips and/or deformed gaskets. The percentage could be much lower if more people vote I believe.

In Japan and Taiwan, some owners did the weird hose testing to make it leak and it is almost 100% leaking for them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Under normal usage (normal car wash and raining), it is only 5.4% of unlucky guys who experienced roof leaking, which might be the results of damaged clips and/or deformed gaskets. The percentage could be much lower if more people vote I believe.

In Japan and Taiwan, some owners did the weird hose testing to make it leak and it is almost 100% leaking for them.
One in twenty is a lot. Most car washes are run with pressure hoses. I’m not inclined to give much slack out on this rope, considering the thing is supposed to be a semi-rugged recreational AWD.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
One in twenty is a lot. Most car washes are run with pressure hoses. I’m not inclined to give much slack out on this rope, considering the thing is supposed to be a semi-rugged recreational AWD.
Pressure car wash is normal, very different from the weird garden hose test on youtube, which does not have pressure but large amount of water running for 10-15 minutes against the normal water running direction.

I did not imply the roof leak is normal. The holes on the roof with clips and thin gaskets are very poor design and I have fixed them myself although I did not have roof leak before fixing.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Pressure car wash is normal, very different from the weird garden hose test on youtube, which does not have pressure but large amount of water running for 10-15 minutes against the normal water running direction.
My leak took less than 10 seconds, not minutes. I bet that if people did the hose test most if not all would get the same results.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts